Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

We deem this issue to be somewhat of an additional priority, therefore the release of Update 7 is now planned for next week, whilst the team investigate and address accordingly.
While the delay is unfortunate, this is something I very much like to hear (prioritizing bug fixes, especially those with such a negative impact).

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
680 people emplyed by Frontier.. why do we get the feeling that there are only 2 that can code working on Elite??
Happy to confirm there are more than 2 coders working on Elite, Piglet.

It destroys any hope the game can be what we want it to be when bugs cause delay after delay after delay.
The idea is to fix the issues which might cause trouble and 'delay after delays' as we move into the future, which is the reason behind this little update for you now. Just trying to make improvements here.

We are a quarter of a year past release now. I feel sorry for whoever is left actually coding, they need help and a lot more of them. You have the numbers Frontier..what on earth is going on over there in Cambridge?
Just want to say that the "680" you mentioned there does also include HR, Reception, Finance...probably the chef actually too (I really, really don't want to get those lovely people stuck in on this kind of stuff) and many other developers who don't in any way contribute to the code side of Elite (they're working on other titles with their own schedules and deadlines).

Happy to confirm there are more than 2 coders working on Elite, Piglet.

The idea is to fix the issues which might cause trouble and 'delay after delays' as we move into the future, which is the reason behind this little update for you now. Just trying to make improvements here.

Just want to say that the "680" you mentioned there does also include HR, Reception, Finance...probably the chef actually too (I really, really don't want to get those lovely people stuck in on this kind of stuff) and many other developers who don't in any way contribute to the code side of Elite (they're working on other titles with their own schedules and deadlines).
thanks for the clarififcation.. how many people are actually working on Elite these days then? Not that it matters much, all thet matters is that it works really.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Sally, thanks for the info re CGs being abandoned. I wonder if it would be possible to take a look at another issue with CGs causing many commanders to miss out on them altogether! The issue is that CGs do not always show up in the Missions area of Odyssey and only relogging completely usually seems to cure it - but not for everyone and some just give up, or log into Horizons to sign up.
It has been reported in the issue tracker during a previous CG but is still happening in later ones - https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41917.

Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

Hi Sally, thanks for the info re CGs being abandoned. I wonder if it would be possible to take a look at another issue with CGs causing many commanders to miss out on them altogether! The issue is that CGs do not always show up in the Missions area of Odyssey and only relogging completely seems to cure it - but not everyone realises that and just give up, or sometimes log into Horizons to sign up.
It has been reported in the issue tracker during a previous CG but is still happening in later ones - https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41917.

Heya Floss! This has been under my belt for a time now so don't worry, eyes are on it.

sallymorganmoore

And Frontier has answered me with their gameplay at present. Sadly

After all of the constructive and down right awesome teamwork we've had with tackling things directly, Piglet, I truly am sorry you feel the way you do today.
As I've said many times before, we're trying really flipping hard right now to iron things out and I've tried to make it a pretty personable discussion with you to reassure you of the steps we're taking, grabbing the issues you care about and so on.

I'll keep doing it, of course, but unfortunately there is a maximum power outage with things right now and we're running at it.

After all of the constructive and down right awesome teamwork we've had with tackling things directly, Piglet, I truly am sorry you feel the way you do today.
As I've said many times before, we're trying really flipping hard right now to iron things out and I've tried to make it a pretty personable discussion with you to reassure you of the steps we're taking, grabbing the issues you care about and so on.

I'll keep doing it, of course, but unfortunately there is a maximum power outage with things right now and we're running at it.
I know Sally.. I know.. Your're a good egg and I don't doubt there are good people trying their damndest, please don't take my displeasure at the situation personally or as an attack. I love Elite and just want it to work and have been patient with it for years..to a foolish degree perhaps. The current state is just getting to me like it has to others. This is not your fault and you have been an absolute gem. i really appreciate the personal care you have taken and want you to know that.
But if you have a message to bring back to the company above you, not the guys and girls that are working hard but the decision makers.. my previous posts today sum it up ok.

Deleted member 182079

D
Bit of a pity as I was kind of looking forward to this week's patch... I guess a week's delay isn't the end of the world after 3 months of waiting for the one that makes some decent difference, but would it not have been possible to release U7 this week and hotfix the CG issue next week? Or too much effort? (genuine question)

sallymorganmoore

Will the fix enable Odyssey Cmdrs to sign up for CGs? Or has that been fixed and I missed it?

Oh whoops!! I just answered this for Flossy, can't keep up with you lot sometimes, hehe. I'm doing a whole bunch of double checking but it's absolutely been a known one for a time. Very much on the radar.

sallymorganmoore

Bit of a pity as I was kind of looking forward to this week's patch... I guess a week's delay isn't the end of the world after 3 months of waiting for the one that makes some decent difference, but would it not have been possible to release U7 this week and hotfix the CG issue next week? Or too much effort? (genuine question)

It just makes things way more complicated and takes out extra time from a number of teams to release even a little patch (especially for passing through QA all over again. You never know what even an isolated fix to something might do...well...you know Elite, haha).

Top Bottom