Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I know Sally.. I know.. Your're a good egg and I don't doubt there are good people trying their damndest, please don't take my displeasure at the situation personally or as an attack.
I'll always take it as something because if I didn't then that would make me numb and careless :)

I love Elite and just want it to work and have been patient with it for years..to a foolish degree perhaps. The current state is just getting to me like it has to others.
I know. Hear and read it hourly but we can only continue to do what we're doing minus the magic wand. I think we're doing pretty well considering! I'm staying positive regardless!

This is not your fault and you have been an absolute gem. i really appreciate the personal care you have taken and want you to know that.
But if you have a message to bring back to the company above you, not the guys and girls that are working hard but the decision makers.. my previous posts today sum it up ok.
Piglet you've asked me to say that for months and months, and for all those months I've listened.
More of the same won't just keep going up there. We need to just...get our heads down and keep going.

I'll always take it as something because if I didn't then that would make me numb and careless
Then please only take the good comments towards you personally.. as I've said, you've been an absolute gem.

My sadness is over the state of the game but I'll leave it there and come back when it's fixed. Hopefully see you in happier times.

Bit of a pity as I was kind of looking forward to this week's patch... I guess a week's delay isn't the end of the world after 3 months of waiting for the one that makes some decent difference, but would it not have been possible to release U7 this week and hotfix the CG issue next week? Or too much effort? (genuine question)
We don't know the inner workings of Frontier, but creating a new release version can indeed require a lot of work from a lot of people.

A seemingly tiny bug fix could come with a huge overhead that simply makes it unreasonable to do.

My sadness is over the state of the game but I'll leave it there and come back when it's fixed. Hopefully see you in happier times.
I find the (sometimes minutes, especially when I log into the game) long pauses of SPF (yes, seconds per frame) the most frustrating. During the alpha, I got kind of used to them, but they're starting to wear rather thin.

We don't know the inner workings of Frontier, but creating a new release version can indeed require a lot of work from a lot of people.

A seemingly tiny bug fix could come with a huge overhead that simply makes it unreasonable to do.
I can vouch for this just for a modest sized (about 20k lines) mod, and that's just basic testing and doing up release notes.

Just want to say that the "680" you mentioned there does also include HR, Reception, Finance...probably the chef actually too (I really, really don't want to get those lovely people stuck in on this kind of stuff) and many other developers who don't in any way contribute to the code side of Elite (they're working on other titles with their own schedules and deadlines).
I guess that does raise the obvious question of how many "Developers" are actually working on Elite these day? I know that 'about 100' has been thrown around in the past. Is it still in the same ball park? Does that "about 100" figure also include CMs, QA, Influencers and other people, who are essential to getting the game developed, but, like the Chef, you'd not want working on the Network Code, or trying to optimise the Rendering of Starports etc.

I remember that back in the day we had some really interesting "Meet the teams" It'd be interesting to know what a day in the life of say someone in the Rendering Team actually is. For that matter how are the development teams for Elite actually Broken down? I know we have Kay doing her thing with Rendering and Tinkering with the Galaxy and there's Dav being a mad Scientist, as well as some stuff at the back end, but who's coding missions these days? Who's developing the CGs? What about designing ships? (as well as all the other awesome jobs that have to come together to make Elite). I bet they all have great stories to tell and the community would love to hear about them.

o7 and thanks to you and ALL of the CM's much <3, Eid

probably the chef actually too
I am going to share this here too for some laughs
1631538989163.png

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I guess that does raise the obvious question of how many "Developers" are actually working on Elite these day?
I don't know what people would do with this information if I gave it, to be honest.
It's asked a lot and it baffles me a bit. Is it so people can use it as a negative reaction somehow? I hope not.
It certiainly isn't an answer that would help any of the current situation, is all I'm saying :)

The team we have on ED is the team we have contracted "in studio" (We're mostly at home right now but you get what I mean), who doesn't cook in the kitchen, work on other projects or in other departments unassociated with literal in game development (those that are, are working amazingly hard on this beastie). I love 'em.

I remember that back in the day we had some really interesting "Meet the teams" It'd be interesting to know what a day in the life of say someone in the Rendering Team actually is.
I LOVE 'MEET THE TEAMS' STUFF!!! When time and ability allows amidst all of these major updates, we would be so, so keen to get these happening again. We'll keep working on how they can be brought in :)

I bet they all have great stories to tell and the community would love to hear about them.
Yaaaaaaaas we must and want to do this. No worries. Just will take a little planning (also it's still a bit tricky with the WFH sitch, but it'll all be changing soon of course! The world being well!)

o7 and thanks to you and ALL of the CM's much <3, Eid
Big o7 Eid! You know I appreciate ya.

Top Bottom