Elite Dangerous Update 8 to include Fleet Carrier capacity values fix

it'll be nice if some of those UI improvements include the fix for the bug where looking at carrier management causes your cargo scoop to close/retract for no reason.

Hoping for the fps to increase…. Hoping.

Flimley
Given how before U7 arf spoke about the main improvements of the core team for U8, and we now hear very little, I am expecting some minor gains at best followed by Big Expectations for U9.

U8 is for me a bit of a litmus test, both for their ability to actually fix it as well as their new 'honest communication style'. Hoping for the best, and looking forward to these big performance improvements. :)

Given how before U7 arf spoke about the main improvements of the core team for U8, and we now hear very little, I am expecting some minor gains at best followed by Big Expectations for U9.

U8 is for me a bit of a litmus test, both for their ability to actually fix it as well as their new 'honest communication style'. Hoping for the best, and looking forward to these big performance improvements. :)
Hmm,:unsure:😣 there are "big" changes:cautious:, and there are "game changing big🥺" changes, and there are changes that are "big" to some but not to others, like you I am hopeful (ish)😩

Greetings Commanders.

Tomorrow (October 27th 2021) will see the deployment of the much anticipated Update 8 for Elite Dangerous (more on the expected deployment schedule in a later post today, so hang tight. On it o7)

With this update we will be rolling out a fix to address a known issue with capacity readings for Fleet Carriers. This fix is being applied to both Horizons and Odyssey across ALL PLATFORMS.

The Issue:

It's been noted that some Fleet Carriers have been returning negative capacity values for ship & module packs.
  • The issue itself lies with the size of the packs being incorrectly initialised within the Carrier, so Commanders will have been able to to install ship/module packs that should have caused their Fleet Carrier to go over capacity, for example purchasing 1 ship or module could remove 1000’s of capacity usage from a pack that the "Carrier thought" used 10’s of capacity, or vice-versa.

The Solution and Expected Changes:
We have identified the source of the problem and have a fix ready. Once applied, capacity readings for Fleet Carriers will revert to their true value.
  • For some Commanders, this may give back used capacity that was incorrectly assigned.
  • For others it may add multiple 10,000’s of capacity usage.
    • This will cause some Fleet Carriers to go over capacity, however, this will not stop those Fleet Carriers from functioning. The correct capacity usage will still be displayed in 'Carrier Management' and can be brought back under the maximum by selling off ship & module packs, removing commodities from the Cargo Hold or removing Purchase Orders.
    • Until capacity has been returned to below the maximum, the owner will be unable to store new commodities in the Fleet Carrier, create new Purchase Orders or buy new Ship/Module packs.
FAQ

"We've been raising the issues some of us are having with soft-locks and UI issues with Fleet Carriers since Update 7 (among other issues of note). When can we expect fixes for these?"
  • There are a number of issues with Fleet Carrier UI stability and visual representation addressed as part of Update 8. I'll let you know more about these in the forthcoming patch notes tomorrow.

I'll be sure to remind everyone of this in tomorrow's update notes, this just warrented it's own call out due to the nature of the fix.

Have a great remainder of your day, Commanders!

o7
Another useless update. Developers don't hear what they are told. It feels like they are deaf. Hate of useless updates! Get to work at last! Optimize your shaders! And bring back the lighting as in the horizons!

Unfortunately, this update didn't seem to fix my personal issues. As you can see, before I attempt to transfer cargo to my fleet carrier, it correctly shows me as having about 16000 used cargo. As soon as I hit right once, it jumps up to 27000/25000 used cargo. The only way I can transfer cargo to my FC is via the Transfer All button.

5ZbGkgz.png
j3fP9KQ.png

I gained about 5000 tons of space after the update. (I have outfitting and shipyard installed, no ships for sale any more, a few small module packs available - holds, cabins, mining stuff)

17,000 tons of space! Now I have the urge to clutter it up again.

Edit: spoke too soon. I put 1500 units of goods on my carrier and my free space went down by 14,000 tons. I need a compression algorithm.

PS: the carrier marketplace bug is still there. Ships using a carrier marketplace don't get their cargo hold contents updated until they open any marketplace screen again.

Last edited:
Interesting.
So people are actually stocking their carriers with ships? Even tho the said ships can be purchased at a discount from LYR space or from SD?
I am not 100% certain this can be done, as I do not have the Ships Module installed; but a reason off the top of my head would be to help out new Squadron members, by setting the selling prices below the discount in Li Yong-Rui systems.

I carried Adders and Haulers for a while. Team play, wing combat in large ships, and having small ships available allowed cmdrs to swap over and dock at small outposts.

I am not 100% certain this can be done, as I do not have the Ships Module installed; but a reason off the top of my head would be to help out new Squadron members, by setting the selling prices below the discount in Li Yong-Rui systems.

Why bother?
I transferred 1bn credits to my Epic alt using some meta-alloy i had them on my carrier 🤷‍♂️

Why bother?
I transferred 1bn credits to my Epic alt using some meta-alloy i had them on my carrier 🤷‍♂️
Potayto, Potahto.
The way I look at it is, this is part of the beauty of Elite Dangerous. You are able to Blaze Your Own Trail, and Fly Dangerously or Cautiously.

Work around for now, possible spoilers

Though doesn't include recent stuff from October
Great Gameplay 👍

Top Bottom