Elite for ZX Spectrum and StarTrek reference?

I was playing original Spectrum 48k version of Elite and after finishing the last mission (“Thargon invasion”) and destroying the Coriolis station near planet Rive I returned to previous system. After docking I got this message:
D40A67EF-7E58-4883-B25F-E150FB54023C.jpeg

First I thought it was a joke of some cracker, who removed the LensLock protection, so I used another version (with protection still active - from the World of Spectrum website) and loaded my last save. Finished the mission again, and…

6241388E-89E2-45F1-B7A0-1E809BDD7778.jpeg

Just for the reference, in “Joystick Club” release my name was Ab-Ab ;)

My question is: I love the reference, but wasn’t it a little against IP of StarTrek?

On YouTube I found video where the reference was missing. Maybe it was from 128k version, unfortunately, I was not able to load my save into 128k version (got tape loading error).

I would love to know the background story to this…

I’d recheck your Elite version if I were you 😅

The text I received on completion of the Thargon mission ended with “…award you their highest honour.”

I don’t know how to check version, that was why I used more versions with the same saved commander file. The first screenshot was from this version from WOS website:

EA6773DB-EEDB-40DE-8145-B82884CE60AE.jpeg

Direct link: https://www.worldofspectrum.org//pub/sinclair/games/e/Elite.tzx.zip

MD5 checksum: f73379181e1a413ac6c22ffd4cc8122a

To override LensLock I used POKE (49837,0)

You have played the 48k or 128k version? I will try the second version there, later.

I played through a 48k version from WoS but I can’t check the details as I’m away from my computer at the moment and I didn’t screenshot my mission completion screen a couple of years back as I didn’t want to publish “spoilers” due to Drew Wagar’s retro stream going on at the same time.

It looks like you’re not using savestates instead of the in-game save so I’m not sure what’s going on, but there have been plenty of modded versions over the years so I’m not surprised something like this has occurred 😁

(I highly recommend the fairly new “Elite Legend” mod for the 128k Speccy - I’m playing it at the moment and I consider it to be the best 8-bit Elite)

Here is my commander data save in PZX format (format description here: http://zxds.raxoft.cz/pzx.html ):

https://elite.sk/elite_tharg.zip

Use it as you wish, all you need is to jump into Riave system and destroy station by rocket. Jump back and ... enjoy.
I’m back home and have checked out my ZXDS files - turns out I was a dirty liar and it was the 128k version of Elite from World of Spectrum that I was using 😁

I’d saved the game upon receiving the mission:
A822260E-1FB4-4C16-B7E1-97CC4F543D78.jpeg

…so I had to trek across about 2/3 of GalMap 8 to get to the target planet. I completed a successful stealthed missile launch at the invaded Station and jumped to the next-door system to get my victory screen:
5EB7E1C5-251A-45BF-8410-445937A7E3B3.jpeg

I’ve tried using your save file but I keep getting a tape loading error - do I need to input your CMDR name to successfully load it? I’ve tried JAMESON, RIDER, and ZXDS so far.

No, you can’t load 48k into 128k version. Launch any 48k version, insert my tape (loaded as Rastislav, no need to type anything) and jump into Rive system. Destroy Coriolis station (using missile) and return back.

And… voilá 😉

No, you can’t load 48k into 128k version. Launch any 48k version, insert my tape (loaded as Rastislav, no need to type anything) and jump into Rive system. Destroy Coriolis station (using missile) and return back.

And… voilá 😉
Cool, I’ll give it a go tomorrow 👍

@Rider - Using the WoS Elite 48k file I’ve Poked past the lenslok and successfully loaded your save file:
C54EB0EE-AB36-49D3-AC94-DEF7987422A1.jpeg

I jumped to the Thargoid-attacked system, had a completely unhindered flight to the Station, destroyed it with a missile, jumped back to Teceinre, shot a few pirates then docked to receive the Star Trek flavoured message.
0C49EB8F-18E8-4232-8FD7-F07AFE000DA4.jpeg

Something is amiss with this! 😅

My experience with the 128k version is that you jump into the target system, get intercepted several times by Thargoid vessels en route to the Station, then on final approach the Coriolis will launch a trio of Thargoid ships (if you destroy any of these the Station acts as a clown-car and will continually pump out replacement craft).

I’ve downloaded the snapshot of 48k Elite from Ian Bell’s website - after loading your save into it I got the expected Thargoid interceptions but no Station launches…and the LLaP message was received after I finished the mission!

So…either the original game had this Easter egg and no one has ever mentioned it before (that I’ve seen anyway) or a slightly modified version of the 48k game was uploaded sometime in the 90’s (I’m guessing, based on the file info) and has been doing the rounds since. The only changes I’ve read about made between the 48k & 128k versions was about correcting police Viper behaviour.

I suppose the only way to check if the game behaviour is genuine would be to take a fresh tape image - not something I could do as I only have my Acorn Electron version and the Speccy version I had back then was the Supreme Challenge box-set 48k/128k tape.

If the 🖖🏼 message was indeed a cheeky inclusion by the Torus lads then congratulations on the find 😁👍

Edit: I’ve tried the other 48k files on WoS and they have the same mission text.

Last edited:
I’ve downloaded the snapshot of 48k Elite from Ian Bell’s website - after loading your save into it I got the expected Thargoid interceptions but no Station launches…and the LLaP message was received after I finished the mission!

So…either the original game had this Easter egg and no one has ever mentioned it before (that I’ve seen anyway) or a slightly modified version of the 48k game was uploaded sometime in the 90’s (I’m guessing, based on the file info) and has been doing the rounds since. The only changes I’ve read about made between the 48k & 128k versions was about correcting police Viper behaviour.

I suppose the only way to check if the game behaviour is genuine would be to take a fresh tape image - not something I could do as I only have my Acorn Electron version and the Speccy version I had back then was the Supreme Challenge box-set 48k/128k tape.

If the 🖖🏼 message was indeed a cheeky inclusion by the Torus lads then congratulations on the find 😁👍

Edit: I’ve tried the other 48k files on WoS and they have the same mission text.

From what I remember playing the original 48k version at the time this is correct - no ship launches from the station. No idea what the message was as this was a long time ago. The mission didn't strike me as being particularly hard but the grind was real!

Thank you very much for confirming this 🖖!

To be honest, I’m at hospital now, trying to get out of brain surgery. Brain cancer. But chirurgist is positive, I’m trying to get back as soon as possible. It was long time and my final post was day before surgery (wednesday).

So thank you for confirming my find 👍

Thank you very much for confirming this 🖖!

To be honest, I’m at hospital now, trying to get out of brain surgery. Brain cancer. But chirurgist is positive, I’m trying to get back as soon as possible. It was long time and my final post was day before surgery (wednesday).

So thank you for confirming my find 👍
If there was ever a time I would sincerely say Live Long and Prosper, then I do so now 🖖🏼

Hope everything works out for you, CMDR.

@Rider - Using the WoS Elite 48k file I’ve Poked past the lenslok and successfully loaded your save file:
View attachment 335921
I jumped to the Thargoid-attacked system, had a completely unhindered flight to the Station, destroyed it with a missile, jumped back to Teceinre, shot a few pirates then docked to receive the Star Trek flavoured message.
View attachment 335929
Something is amiss with this! 😅

My experience with the 128k version is that you jump into the target system, get intercepted several times by Thargoid vessels en route to the Station, then on final approach the Coriolis will launch a trio of Thargoid ships (if you destroy any of these the Station acts as a clown-car and will continually pump out replacement craft).

If you can know travel back 1984 that will be great

The non-standard system font is surely relevant too?
Nice spot! I’d not noticed the different font.

Does this point towards the generally available 48k version of the game being an unofficial modded version? Perhaps not…
C69242BC-D0D2-4253-9315-84C5F1252F62.jpeg

I only ever had the 128k version of the Spectrum game in the Supreme Challenge box set, so the only thing I’ve got to go on is a screenshot of the back of the 48k box - the letters i, r, n & t seem to match the font in Rider’s mission images and not those of my 128k screen captures.

The Amstrad version of the game was also done by Torus and that font looks to match the 128k version.

My conclusion: dunno 🤷‍♂️

😁

Edit: screenshots in Sinclair User for the initial 48k release also match the font seen in the OP:
32F8EAAA-B090-4DB1-85DE-414A90CF15B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom