Elite with GeForce now

I cannot get elite to work with GeForce now, it works on my pc through steam, but when I try to run on GeForce now it says “it looks like you don’t currently own this game on steam”.

My pc isn’t good enough to run it properly, hence why I got GeForce now, iv tried everything I can think off, it simply won’t recognise the game when loading in GeForce, any tips?

Thank you in advance.

Found this online hope it helps.

"To link your steam account do the following: Log in to you Frontier account and go to your account dashboard, using the orange icon at the top right of the page. Navigate to Partner Keys from the panel on the left. Click the green 'Sign in through Steam' button"

If it launched from Steam on your PC I presume it's already linked to your Frontier account, it should run from GeforceNow after you've logged in to the Steam client there. Within GeforceNow did you run the "synchronise" option for Steam in the Settings menu? Is Elite appearing as part of your personal library before you launch it?

If it launched from Steam on your PC I presume it's already linked to your Frontier account, it should run from GeforceNow after you've logged in to the Steam client there. Within GeforceNow did you run the "synchronise" option for Steam in the Settings menu? Is Elite appearing as part of your personal library before you launch it?
Yes iv linked account as it says your account is linked to steam, iv synced GeForce now, and also logged out and in and resank, and elite is showing in both library’s steam and GeForce, it just quits when trying to install patch saying “you don’t own this game through steam yet”.
Iv contacted GeForce, and they have asked me to contact the service provider for GeForce in Australia (were im from).

Iv also tried switching servers in GeForce, still the same problem?

Thanks for the reply’s guys , so frustrating, I’m dying to play.

Also something else, the file size for initial start up was around 75 gbs on Geforce now, but since iv installed it to my old pc, it’s now around 35, so I guess it’s installed base game to shorten the initial patch on GeForce, but still get the…you don’t own this game through steam yet.

It must be the aussy servers for GeForce not up to date with this game maybe?

Last edited:
It just quits when trying to install patch

Not sure what this is - how far do you get in the launch process? I did a one-off synchronisation of Steam & GeforceNow libraries when I first started, now it's:

1. In the GeforceNow client select the Steam launcher in the Elite link and press "Play"
2. It instantiates the virtual machine (I assume that's what's going on, with an Elite-y backdrop) then loads the Steam launcher using saved details (IIRC on the very very first launch on GeforceNow I logged in to this using the same Steam account I used to buy Elite, and had linked to a Frontier account)
3. I press "Play" inside the Steam launcher and the Elite launcher starts
4. The Elite launcher comes up (which tells you if your Steam account is linked to a Frontier account), I press "Log In", then "Play" to actually launch the game. If the game client is out of date 'cos Frontier have just released an update then you see "Update" rather than Play. Update doesn't really work - need to wait for Nvidia to update the game client (has been same-day for Steam in my experience).

In step 3 I am often presented with a black screen, I just escape and press Play again and it works (in fact that's my muscle memory now).
In step 4 maybe 5% of the time the launcher comes up saying my Steam and Frontier accounts are not linked, I just quit and restart the whole thing and it works fine next time.

I've had a quick rummage on Google and can't see a consistent answer to the message you're getting - sometimes it's "just started working" a day or two later. Do you have multiple Steam accounts - accidentally used one to synchronise libraries, but another for step 2?

Last edited:
Yeah I do all that and get the same until your step 4, after clicking play it tries to install patch, 35gbs, and when it gets to around 70 % it says you do not own this game through steam?

Yeah I do all that and get the same until your step 4, after clicking play it tries to install patch, 35gbs, and when it gets to around 70 % it says you do not own this game through steam?
Out of curiosity did you have to do the initial big patch?, if not I guess it’s just not updated on the Australian servers.

Sounds like a clue! So you get the game launcher saying your Steam account is linked to your Frontier account, press "Login", then "Play" does something weird? If you try to apply a patch through "Update" then (in my experience) it takes so long that even if it completes you get weird connection errors immediately afterwards (something's timed out) and the session closes. The only way is to raise a ticket with Nvidia to get them to update the client version on their back end. I use EU West and the Steam copy of the game client is usually updated automatically the same day the patch comes out.

But if the client version is old I'm just surprised that you see "Play" rather than "Update", the Elite launcher usually checks the client version against the server version.

PS I'd try the Aussie servers to confirm but I can only see European and American zones in my GFN client - guess they place restrictions forcing me to be mostly sensible. Can you see any e.g. US zones? Latency would be terrible but we'd see if the game launched.

Last edited:
Just to let you know I have had the same problem on GFN.on the EU West servers. Purchased on steam during the Sale but it is saying around 75gb download and then times out at around 64% updating and then a note pops up saying I dont own it. Unfortunately have had to ask for a refund for now. I think the load time is so long GFN may think you are not playing and kicks you off the sever at around 8mins.

Weird and unfortunate indeed. If it's set up right by Nvidia then there should be nothing to download, I was playing fine on Steam EU West at the time you posted :(

Are you using the free GeforceNow? If so the only differences I can think of is that I'm using the paid subscription, and I've been playing Elite on GeforceNow for over a year - the issue may be with new configurations or the free platform.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I am on the paid sub so its not that. I may try buying the base game only on epic store and see if that works better. with the full game package via steam it just seemed to be taking far to long to down load/ update and as you will know if GFN does not see you playing after 8min it kicks you off. I did raise it as an issue with GFN but don't hold out much hope for an answer from their end.

Thanks for the reply. I am on the paid sub so its not that. I may try buying the base game only on epic store and see if that works better. with the full game package via steam it just seemed to be taking far to long to down load/ update and as you will know if GFN does not see you playing after 8min it kicks you off. I did raise it as an issue with GFN but don't hold out much hope for an answer from their end.

I bought via Epic for an alt last December, that's worked fine for me on GeforceNow. When Frontier release a patch it can sometimes take several days for the Epic client to get updated (Steam gets updated same-day), and the game can't be played until it is, but otherwise it's been OK. Good luck ;)

Regarding the Steam issue, tickets to Nvidia would seem to be the main course of action as you say. Updates should all have been handled in the background by them, you shouldn't see any downloads :(

Last edited:
Is there any way to access your game logs when playing via GeForceNow? Or is there another way to synchronize with INARA and Co?

Just as an aside, I play on Epic with GFN, one thing you have to do when running in GFN, is to jiggle the mouse every 6 minutes as it logs you out if there is no activity for 9 minutes (I have timed it).
I assume it would be the same with Steam as it is a GFN parameter.
It is tedious but if e.g. you are waiting for something to update/sync in ED and don't want it to logoff - keep moving the mouse - while you wait for updates.

Just a thought.

Is there any way to access your game logs when playing via GeForceNow? Or is there another way to synchronize with INARA and Co?
INARA can import game data from the fdev servers, I used it all the time on console. It has to connect to your frontier account and you have to give permission for it to be linked. It grabs data every 15 minutes or so.
Another nice website I use to download the actual journal data is https://journal-limpet.com/ which again needs to link to your frontier account.

Top Bottom