EliteBrainerous: the standalone "incredible neural OCR engine" powering EliteOCR

Hey everyone!

I moved this from the Gamma forum :)

As my long term goal is to have this be an all-round solution for anyone working on integrating OCR into their EliteDangerous app, it's spun off into it's own project!

https://github.com/CapCap/EliteBrainerous

Over 99.99% accurate :)

This isn't a place to discuss whether or not such a thing should exist- I wish I could delete posts like that because it's needless clutter, and there are a lot of other threads that exist for that kind of debate.

This is a place to ask questions about the OCR, get implementation help, report bugs with it, etc. I hope this becomes a resource for fellow devs trying to do OCR in EliteDangerous :)

If you're looking for a sexy, sleek project using EliteBrainerous for parsing market data, look no further than Seebek's EliteOCR: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68771

utoyit1.png

(sample output from the slightly less accurate RBM- I recommend using the logistic classifier)

ToDo:
1. Expanding EB to classify characters in addition to digits (in progress!)
2. Improve the character segmentor (don't really want to do this myself but will if I have to!)
3. Implement own NN backed sliding window text-detector to determine own text-region bounding boxes (same as #2!)
4. Extend this to actually capture the screenshots internally, recognize the screen, and provide an API to whatever data is contained therein (i.e if(eb.currentScreen() == 'market'){ print eb.parseCommodityData() })

PS: Hey Frontier! I'm available for hire or freelance ;-)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice...!

I hope we can find some way to wrap this up so it can be called from somewhere other than Python, I'd love to integrate this (as you know!!) :-D

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice...!

I hope we can find some way to wrap this up so it can be called from somewhere other than Python, I'd love to integrate this (as you know!!) :-D

Keep up the great work! Yours and Seebek's work has been great and the results have been amazing. This tool along with Max's EliteOCRReader (I prefer my own data not crowd-sourced) has been a pleasure to work with. Thanks again!

Wanted to point out a flaw, though you might already be aware. Ewald City in Chemaku very often gets recognized as Ewalo City. Now I didn't notice this until viewing the CSV after the scrape. What this means is I will not have correct nn images for it since I have been using the auto-add results in EliteOCR. I will redo the scrape when I am back at that station again and upload the images then.

Thanks for doing this! From my experience, making OCR work with game screens is tricky but rewarding :p . I hope one day we will get to the point where we have some background script running that just checks for new screenshots, OCRs them, detects whether they are from the market screen and upload to some crowd-sourcing database online.

Thanks for doing this! From my experience, making OCR work with game screens is tricky but rewarding :p . I hope one day we will get to the point where we have some background script running that just checks for new screenshots, OCRs them, detects whether they are from the market screen and upload to some crowd-sourcing database online.

EliteOCRReader checks for new screenshots and loads them into his app as they are taken. The rest is manual though and he doesn't use this OCR yet. You might give it a try though.

What I hope to see is something that can read the active screen without having to make screenshots. Since this does not touch the executable in any way, it should be a fairly simple process of us just starting at the top and slowly scrolling down the list and have the data read on the fly.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
@zxctypo. Thank you for this wonderful tool. You mentioned in the EOCR thread you were looking into using a neural network for names also. What is the status of that and the general status of your project?

Top Bottom