Engine pips

Do engine pips affect the actual thrust when not in boost? I know the speed is higher but testing under 9,77g it seemed that there is no real difference between zero and four pips to engines... Never has the ship faltered even slightly. In extreme g environment one would expect at least some struggle to stay hovering.

Yes, ENG pips affect acceleration in every translational direction (forward, reverse, left, right, up, and down), as well as all rotation (pitch, roll, yaw) rates. The degree of difference from 0-4 pips is dependent on the ship, with some being very subtle (Vulture), and others more extreme (Python).

Gravity wells with flight assist on won't demonstrate this as every ship was given sufficiently strong ventral thrusters to counter any amount of gravity you are likely to encounter, specifically for that purpose, and only for that purpose.

Last edited:
I find putting more pips in Engines helps to stabilize the ship when close to the surface, theres less 'jitter' if one can apply that term to the whole ship.

Gravity wells with flight assist on won't demonstrate this as every ship was given sufficiently strong ventral thrusters to counter any amount of gravity you are likely to encounter, specifically for that purpose, and only for that purpose.

Thanks for the answer! Does this "only for that purpose" also mean that when countering gravity, thrust of ventral thrusters is always strong enough, no matter the gravity - meaning that they are, if need be, stronger than possible?

Thanks for the answer! Does this "only for that purpose" also mean that when countering gravity, thrust of ventral thrusters is always strong enough, no matter the gravity - meaning that they are, if need be, stronger than possible?

No, thrusters are not necessarily strong enough. Some of us who were out in the black when Horizons dropped got in trouble with our D-rated thrusters not being enough to land on certain planets.

with any thrusters you'll get at least 5m/s acceleration in any condition. game reasons.

No, thrusters are not necessarily strong enough. Some of us who were out in the black when Horizons dropped got in trouble with our D-rated thrusters not being enough to land on certain planets.

while it might be harder with weaker thrusters, you can land and start with any thrusters you can equip - no matter the g-force.

docking computer puts 4 pips in sys a lot when docking. i would have thought to improve agility of the ship they should be putting that in eng but it appears sys has some effect on mobility, rather than speed.

This is my understanding, yes.

You can hover perfectly fine on a 9g+ world if the ship is oriented correctly, even if your thrusters are so weak as to cause the ship to overheat and fall out of the sky if you flip over. In open space, the ventral and dorsal thrusters have exactly the same power/acceleration.

I put it all down to special thrust augmentation from the "planetary landing suite" or whatever it's called that only activates when used for that purpose.

Top Bottom