COMPLETED CG Engineered Detailed Surface Scanner Initiative (Trade)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not sure about that. I've had to move around some ringed planets with rings so close to the surface, that the probe has not enough room to arch around all the way to the back of the planet, and if I aim outside the ring I keep getting the MISS popup.

Know any workaround for this?

If the rings are unusually wide or close to the planet I try to position my ship more or less in the plane of the rings. It doesn't need to be perfect, just close enough that the probes won't hit the rings as they arc around the planet.

Well that's a start - but did they inject anymore supply?

It's not going to matter much if not as there is already a galaxy wide crunch on supplies.

It's great that they saw their error and lowered the goal, but it's ridiculous that they raised it in the first place. Frontier went straight from "it looks like they might complete the goal with time to spare" to "let's make this goal impossible".

Supplies might be a real issue. I've been using a Cutter with 464 tons cargo capacity and checking Inara to find out who's got stock. Even targeting places with 900+ tons listed and recent reports, most ground installations I've visited only have <60 tons in stock when I get there. After 30+ jumps and landing on 4 planets in 4 different systems I gave up and went to Ashby City with my cargo hold barely more than half full.

Anyone else not able to sign up for the CG? I tried relogging, but it still says there's no CG at Ashby City
If you are a Pay to play beta user (EDO) make sure you are in SHIP not on foot when at menu, if its still broke switch from broken beta (EDO) back to horizons (EDH)...
There currently are 1,812 users signed up and handed in...

Last edited:
I simply hate it when Fdev adjusts those goals. :mad:
This whole system is idiotic. Instead of playing a game with clearly defined rules, we're like mentally challenged children playing under the watchful eye of teachers who make up the rules as we go to keep everyone happy.

Since the 16m goal was going pretty fast before the weekend started, it probably triggered their panic rule-changing button up to the 96m standard of other CGs. But it seems they didn't take into account the actual supply of the commodities.

I think this is the first CG with planetary-only commodities and without a common commodity that has a low price/high supply that would be reliable. Planetary commodities don't have very high stocks. So a 96m goal was literally impossible as the bubble would run out of stock.

I'm not sure even if the 32m goal is possible. EDDB only shows one location with a >3000 supply within 80 ly of the CG system. To go beyond this range you need to look for the commodity itself instead, and a quick look at EDDB/Inara sorting by highest supplies show that there is no location with more than 1k CMM Composites available. For the other two commodities the highest supplies are about 5k.

Last edited:
I keep adding Cybernetics...........

1624043730651.png

If the rings are unusually wide or close to the planet I try to position my ship more or less in the plane of the rings. It doesn't need to be perfect, just close enough that the probes won't hit the rings as they arc around the planet.

That looks like a good idea. Will try that next time. Thanks! o7

Not sure about that. I've had to move around some ringed planets with rings so close to the surface, that the probe has not enough room to arch around all the way to the back of the planet, and if I aim outside the ring I keep getting the MISS popup.

Know any workaround for this?
The trick to mapping ringed planets is to line yourself up exactly in the plane of the ring, usually right outside the ring. You may want to align your flight path tangent to the ring edge so the 30 km/s minimum speed doesn't carry you out of alignment. Doing it this way allows you to land probes at any point on the planet's surface without being blocked by the ring. (Geometrically this works because the probe path is being deflected towards the center of the planet, which means the probe can't re-cross the plane your ship is in until it completes a half-orbit around the planet - which is on the far side of the planet, and if the probe hasn't already hit then it's missing the planet completely.)

After I figured that out, I've virtually always been able to map planets - even large gas giants that take 15-20 probes - without moving my ship.

The trick to mapping ringed planets is to line yourself up exactly in the plane of the ring, usually right outside the ring. You may want to align your flight path tangent to the ring edge so the 30 km/s minimum speed doesn't carry you out of alignment. Doing it this way allows you to land probes at any point on the planet's surface without being blocked by the ring. (Geometrically this works because the probe path is being deflected towards the center of the planet, which means the probe can't re-cross the plane your ship is in until it completes a half-orbit around the planet - which is on the far side of the planet, and if the probe hasn't already hit then it's missing the planet completely.)

After I figured that out, I've virtually always been able to map planets - even large gas giants that take 15-20 probes - without moving my ship.

Great detailed instructions! Thanks! o7 :)

If you are a Pay to play beta user (EDO) make sure you are in SHIP not on foot when at menu, if its still broke switch from broken beta (EDO) back to horizons (EDH)...
There currently are 1,812 users signed up and handed in...
Yeah, I had to actually install Horizons to sign up :D Now it works fine in Odyssey...

I've been using a Cutter with 464 tons cargo capacity and checking Inara to find out who's got stock.
I'm in a 'vette with 438 tons left for cargo. First run, I could fill up on one station found in EDDB. Second run, I needed to visit four stations before I was full - but that last one was a keeper. Good for three more runs, and still not depleted - seems to fill up again reasonably fast.
And it's been so long that I went trading, I forgot about taking cargo out with me until the last couple runs. Take Water Purifiers from Ashby, swap for Consumer Tech halfway round, return with CMM and Reagents = 14 MCr. round trip profit 🤑
No, I'm not telling you my route - but I run EDD, so it's all available on EDDB.

Pretty heavy traffic around Ashby - my ADC seems to be on strike most of the time. And last time I left the station, some Yahoo (player) shot a grom bomb up my backside. From an iEagle 🤣. He could run pretty well, though...

is it the same DSS as in this CG?
yep. that the same CG as talked about in the first post...
The ship module was produced in limited numbers during a terraforming programme campaign by Sirius Atmospherics in late 3306. It was awarded to pilots who provided data on worlds with ammonia-based atmospheres for its terraforming programme.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom