Engineers Engineering Guide to Exploration

To OP:

Is "Search Zone: Shelter" on the planet at HR 415 1 or is it in orbit?

I flew around the planet for awhile and never saw it popup in my nav panel. Dropped from orbit and went close to the surface and flew around for awhile and it never popped up. I finally docked at Franklin Landing since I was getting no where trying to find this.

Do you have to have a SRV to scan it or can you use your ship?

To OP:

Is "Search Zone: Shelter" on the planet at HR 415 1 or is it in orbit?

I flew around the planet for awhile and never saw it popup in my nav panel. Dropped from orbit and went close to the surface and flew around for awhile and it never popped up. I finally docked at Franklin Landing since I was getting no where trying to find this.

Do you have to have a SRV to scan it or can you use your ship?
It shows up in your NAV panel when you are in orbit. Like right before orbital cruise. I guess it may not show up for a lot people for some reason. When I first went there it never showed up but later I came back with a different ship and then it showed up.

I've never tried to scan it with a ship. It's a small surface POI with a single data point that you usually scan with a SRV.

Great guide! Definitely should be stickied.

Some recommendations though.

Grade 1 OC powerplants are amazing, especially since the material needed for it is already so easy to come by. You can easily roll a large number of mods and get nice secondary effects for a minimal or negligible decrease in thermal efficiency. All the ships in my exploration fleet have G1 OC powerplant mods with around 17% power capacity increase and 0.5-1.4% increase in thermal load.

The other recommendation I would suggest is G5 reinforced shields. My explorer fleet has these rolled because of the possibility of landing on a high-G world. I'm already using undersized shield generators so this mod is to make up for that. Using enhanced, low power shields would make having an already undersized shield generator pointless to have due to the reduction in shield strength.

Grade 1 OC powerplants are amazing, especially since the material needed for it is already so easy to come by. You can easily roll a large number of mods and get nice secondary effects for a minimal or negligible decrease in thermal efficiency. All the ships in my exploration fleet have G1 OC powerplant mods with around 17% power capacity increase and 0.5-1.4% increase in thermal load.

The other recommendation I would suggest is G5 reinforced shields. My explorer fleet has these rolled because of the possibility of landing on a high-G world. I'm already using undersized shield generators so this mod is to make up for that. Using enhanced, low power shields would make having an already undersized shield generator pointless to have due to the reduction in shield strength.

Oh, I went with a 2A low emissions grade 1 and ended up with as amazing PP... .32 thermal coefficient - 20% better than stock, 9.2 mj power output - 4% less than stock, and instead of a mass increase, I got a great secondary...a mass decrease of 8% to...1.2! Marginally less power, but much cooler, and a decent drop in mass as well.

Thank you.

And great ideas. I'll add them to the guide when I get a chance. Currently on travel for work. Cheers 😉

Just another quick note - lets make this definitive :)

You can get a lucky mass reduction on Clean Drives as well as Dirty Drives. I followed your advice and got G3 Clean Drives and got a -6.0% mass decrease (on 4D thrusters - 4t to 3.76t). Cheers.

A quick question from an engineering novice. I haven't bothered with engineering up until now, but this thread has sparked my interest, particularly in the DSS mods. The question is, can you combine engineering upgrades - so you could have both long-range and faster scanning - or is it an either/or deal? I know exploring won't ever be a fast pastime, but anything that cuts down on scanning will be very welcome.

Unfortunately not, it's just fast or long range.

Personally I went with fast as mostly I scan stars just for the credits and the G4 I got shaved a lot of time off it.

For long range my theory was, I want to check out those Earth like and water worlds and maybe take photos so I'll be close regardless.

Trick that's helped me with mods is when roll your first one, apply it and go back to outfitting and look at the Modifications part for that module, note that down.

These figures apply to the unmodded module, whilst the engineer stats just compare against your previous roll.

Now when you go back and roll again you can see how the figures relate to the + and - you actually want.

For FSD it's Optimal Mass that needs to go as high as you can get it. Plus optimal mass = more LY's.

For everything else Mass needs to be as low as you can get it. Minus mass = more LY.

Any low on Power Draw and Thermal Load is a plus.

Professor Palin

Discovered by: Marco Qwent (Grade 3-4)

Meeting Requirements: Attain a maximum distance from career start location of at least 5,000 light years

Unlock Requirements: Provide 25 units of Unknown Fragments (HIP 17862 System, 6CA Planet, Coordinates 30.3398, -98.587 is the Alien Crash Site, shoot Unknown Artifacts for Unknown Fragments.)

Maybe you want to update the OP? I visited the site you mention but couldn't see anything except barren wasteland. After a bit of googling I found this forum post - following the instructions there it took me roughly 60 minutes to collect the necessary fragments in HIP 14479. Not the most exciting hour of my gaming life, but on the other hand it was my first sight of an Unknown Artifact, so... screenie time! [big grin]

Maybe you want to update the OP? I visited the site you mention but couldn't see anything except barren wasteland. After a bit of googling I found this forum post - following the instructions there it took me roughly 60 minutes to collect the necessary fragments in HIP 14479. Not the most exciting hour of my gaming life, but on the other hand it was my first sight of an Unknown Artifact, so... screenie time! [big grin]

Sorry for the late response but I am at the exact location that I have listed (HIP 17862 System, 6CA Planet, Coordinates 30.3398, -98.587) and I see the crash site as I type this. Remember 30.3398 are the numbers ON TOP and -98.587 are the numbers ON BOTTOM as you read the GPS coordinates.

Top Bottom