engineering

so I have decided to try and start some serious engineering on some of my ships. i had the basic fsd drive for longer jumps on a dback explorer.
I have a few questions. when upgrading a fsd. can i do multiple upgrades for example can i get the longer range with a faster boot up or is it one or the other.
also i unlocked the cannon guy and i am going to overcharge my multicannon but i have materials for experimentals. my questions is do i upgrade as much as i can 1st and then do experimental.
or can i just do the experimental once and then it stays no matter how much i upgrade the cannons? any info is appreciated . i will be waiting anxiously cause i am at the cannon dudes place right now.

You need reputation to unlock an engineer.
So with your multicannons say. Upgrade one of em to grade 5 there n then. And the experimental too.
That should be sufficient to unlock the engineer to level 5.
Once that's done simply engineer the remaining weps to lvl1 WITH experimental.
Then pin that with the engineer and u can upgrade the rest remotely afterwards as u get more mats.
The fsd wants to be increased jump distance and mass manager

(You cannot upgrade or change experimental remotely)

Last edited:
The diamond back explorer is 2nd only to the anaconda in terms of jump range.

This is my dbx. She's fully equipped for exploring and has a laden (fuel and cargo) 68light year jump.
I use her as a taxi/ferry/errand runner
She does not have weapons but relys on small shields and chaff heatsinks etc to escape interdiction.
Pirates generally ignore her.

Thanks so its either a farther jump range or faster boot sequence for the FSD. oh well i would rather have the jump range. i was hoping i could give my type 9 longer range and faster boot up so as too not hang around in a system to get interdicted.

Fast boot FSD just makes your FSD power on faster after a malfunction, disruption attack, or being switched on/off. You'd think it would make it spool faster, or cool down quicker, or do anything even remotely useful, but it doesn't do either of those things lol.

The only application I could think of for fast boot would be an extremely power-strapped build, where the FSD shuts down when hardpoints are deployed.

The benefits of the increased range mod are just too great to choose anything else. You may sometimes see shielded FSDs in PvP builds, but even then, I'd say the majority of us run increased range.

So I have a G5 standing with farseer, AspX is FSDd up.
Do I then have to repeat the process again for my anaconda fsd starting out at level one?

I did a Hitler rant to the engineers, have a watch if you want, might cheer you or someone up.

You could (definitely should) also consider the guardian FSD booster. Once you unlock it, it adds up to 10 ly to any engineered FSD, and it's just buy, plug and play. It's not that hard to unlock. If in doubt, check Youtube.

Generally level G3 is a good start for most engineerings. It's bang for the bucks, because you don't need rare "expensive" materials. However, if you find a G3 modification being what you want, upping it to G5 can sometimes be a big improvement.

Depending on what you do in the game, there are some modules that are worth engineering, and others not so much.

An example: I like to go fast when I "explore". I don't stop and scan. I just want to go see stuff, like the center of the Galaxy. Therefore I use the biggest fuel scoop I can fit in the largest possible slot on my exploration ships. I scoop at full throttle, skimming the stars corona while I line up the next star. To be able to start charging the FSD as quickly as possible I engineer my Power Plant to run as efficient as possible. Low emission G4 and G5 seems pretty similar "on paper", but G5 is a major improvement.

If you want to play with different ship builds before spending all the mats, check out:

You could (definitely should) also consider the guardian FSD booster. Once you unlock it, it adds up to 10 ly to any engineered FSD, and it's just buy, plug and play. It's not that hard to unlock. If in doubt, check Youtube.

Generally level G3 is a good start for most engineerings. It's bang for the bucks, because you don't need rare "expensive" materials. However, if you find a G3 modification being what you want, upping it to G5 can sometimes be a big improvement.

Depending on what you do in the game, there are some modules that are worth engineering, and others not so much.

An example: I like to go fast when I "explore". I don't stop and scan. I just want to go see stuff, like the center of the Galaxy. Therefore I use the biggest fuel scoop I can fit in the largest possible slot on my exploration ships. I scoop at full throttle, skimming the stars corona while I line up the next star. To be able to start charging the FSD as quickly as possible I engineer my Power Plant to run as efficient as possible. Low emission G4 and G5 seems pretty similar "on paper", but G5 is a major improvement.

If you want to play with different ship builds before spending all the mats, check out:

Thanks for the tips

Engineering isn’t so bad, like most game mechanics, it’s made me try different things to get the goods.

I assume you can swap a modified FSD between ships?

Thanks for the tips

Engineering isn’t so bad, like most game mechanics, it’s made me try different things to get the goods.

Yes, you can store a modified module and use it in another ship, but remember that different ships use different module sizes. You can fit 4A thrusters on a ship which has room for 5A thrusters, but then unengineered 5A thrusters might be better (and less hassle).

Engineering is almost rocket science, but it's really fun once you get started, and when you find the sweet spot on a certain build it's well worth all the work.

Are there different grades of guardian stuff, like engineering, or do you just need one blueprint for the max fsd booster?

Any module can be swapped between ships, assuming they can accommodate the size (yep, it does matter in ED)
The only specials are the Bulkheads which are ship-specific, but even those can be swapped between ships of the same type.

Thanks for the speedy response,
Different sizes for different size ships?

no, different sizes as in different Slot Sizes.
IF you have an empty size 5 optional internal slot - you fit a size 5 fsd booster and you have the biggest increase (but attention, they do require a lot of power)

Top Bottom