General / Off-Topic enough of the grammar police already!

I've seen several posts today (and even had it done to me) where someone replies to a topic not to contribute to it in any way but just for the kick they get from pointing out other peoples mistakes.

its the game that's being tested - not the spelling and grammar of the users.

So just Stop!

not everyone on this forum has English as a first language, not everyone is a gifted speller and some of us have been playing ED for the last 24 hours without a break and are too bleary eyed to notice.

its not big, its not clever and its not doing anyone any favours - just the reverse as it could quite rightly be considered trollish behaviour designed to do nothing more than wind people up.

Last edited:
Actually, that one's entirely my fault, but I've only had 3 hours of sleep (not for fun), and my good taste is clearly not running at the moment.

So, I apologise for the comment on your thread. I've received an infraction from the mods for breaking forum rules. I appear not to be banned yet, though, which is good.

Feel free to stalk me and kill me several times. In-game only, please. ;)

Many non-English speakers are only happy if their spelling and grammar are corrected, since that helps them to develop their skills.

Making fun of it is one thing, but helping someone out to spell better in the future is another. Of course, such advice is easily seen as policing if the poster doesn't include some helpful advice to the topic of the thread at the same time.

I do admit that I've corrected the spelling of some thread titles over the past few weeks. Typos annoy me...

Many non-English speakers are only happy if their spelling and grammar are corrected, since that helps them to develop their skills.

Making fun of it is one thing, but helping someone out to spell better in the future is another. Of course, such advice is easily seen as policing if the poster doesn't include some helpful advice to the topic of the thread at the same time.

I do admit that I've corrected the spelling of some thread titles over the past few weeks. Typos annoy me...

if the poster makes a contribution to the thread and then says BTW its spelt xyz fair enough but the posts that prompted the creation of this thread were far from constructive and didn't add anything to the conversation.

and any time i see the phrase 'grammar police' before a correction i see red, being bad at spelling isn't and never has been a criminal offence.

Brett C

Frontier
If someone is trolling/harassing another user via correcting spelling/grammar mistakes only, and not contributing to a discussion, please report it by clicking the little
report.gif
icon at the top right of their post.

Indeed - I know several non-English speakers who are of that opinion. However, it's gotta be done right.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I have repeatedly informed people about something they have incorrectly spelled.

I do it politely and via PM. Everyone has been pleased that I took the effort, and most are either foreign - hence the bad spelling, or dyslexic - hence the bad spelling.

Don't do it in public, and be polite and helpful. Seems to work wonders.

I have repeatedly informed people about something they have incorrectly spelled.

I do it politely and via PM. Everyone has been pleased that I took the effort, and most are either foreign - hence the bad spelling, or dyslexic - hence the bad spelling.

+1 to that, big difference between taking the mickey in public and politely correcting via PM

That seems perfect to me. Great suggestion.

Top Bottom