Epic Store BUYS Psyonix, Rocket League Developers, Will Remove Rocket League From Steam

Not a game I h
If you think Rocket League isn't as big as Half Life 2 was in its prime ... then you really are out of touch with gaming.
That a games publisher went to the extreme of buying an entire studio to get one of the most popular games on Steam, their hated rival, to be exclusive to their platform .... and you just dismiss it as nothing?

I'll throw a "what if" into this discussion .... how are you going to react when Frontier announce all their games will now be exclusive to the Epic Games Store because Epic bought Frontier Developments?

Thankfully the only FD game I own and play comes with its own launcher. As it stands now Metro Exdous comes out Feb 2020, with Borderlands 3 in Match. Its not just the way Epic works as a company, but the lack of so many features on thier store that makes offer the middle finger.

If Outer Worlds gets positive reviews I will buying it via Microsoft.

Not a game I h

Thankfully the only FD game I own and play comes with its own launcher. As it stands now Metro Exdous comes out Feb 2020, with Borderlands 3 in Match. Its not just the way Epic works as a company, but the lack of so many features on thier store that makes offer the middle finger.

If Outer Worlds gets positive reviews I will buying it via Microsoft.

Oh god FD, please, never ever do a combined game launcher. Pretty please.

Steam launcher, Ubi "udontplay" launcher, Origin spayware, Battlenet... yeah. I`m not a fan. I dont and will not play Rocket Leauge but I can imagine if the same situation occurred with the game I play on weekly basis. Forcing me to register on yet another, inferior store front/launcher thingy is a big no no.
At this point I got rid of Origin (wont be playing any Origin based stuff anyway) and have only Steam and Ubi.

No matter how many games Epic buys out for their platform, i will stick to my Steam account, i've had Origin when it was new, i've had that UPlay (thing), and some other stores,
As a Linux gamer, I don't worry the slightest about those "launchers". Most of the wannabe Steam competitors simply don't exist there.

Not likely. Besides, what do you want me to do? Get the pitchfork out? LOL.

I don't think many would have a problem with another store if it was, you know, an actual store. But calling the EGS a store is like calling McDonalds fries healthy :p That abomination is about as user friendly as Master of Orion 3. Scratch that, MoO 3 at least did what it was supposed to do. And the problem is not that Epic is trying to be competition. Epic is trying to turn this into an elaborate game of Highlander with its Fortnite money, and if they are the last ones standing, you can bet that all their nice approach will be in the wind. Steam is a far cry from the good guy/underdog here, but what Epic is doing lately is quite tasteless. Then again, that's unchecked 'murican capitalism for you.

I don't think many would have a problem with another store if it was, you know, an actual store. But calling the EGS a store is like calling McDonalds fries healthy :p That abomination is about as user friendly as Master of Orion 3. Scratch that, MoO 3 at least did what it was supposed to do. And the problem is not that Epic is trying to be competition. Epic is trying to turn this into an elaborate game of Highlander with its Fortnite money, and if they are the last ones standing, you can bet that all their nice approach will be in the wind. Steam is a far cry from the good guy/underdog here, but what Epic is doing lately is quite tasteless. Then again, that's unchecked 'murican capitalism for you.
Epic is owned by Tencent and they are Chinese ... otherwise, I agree with you 100%

Competition is always good for any business, even the game launcher one.

Valve got complacent, they had a virtual monopoly for years to the point when buying a game on Steam got as mundane as using Google as a default search engine. And abused of it.

Now, a new challenger enters the scene, and uses heavy weaponry to make himself a place in the spotlight.

And so called "gamers" start spewing nonsense and toxicity in order to protect "their launcher". They are scared, and I fail to see why?

They use the "console war" analogy, as some kind of scare tactic, while completely failing to see what an actual "console war" implies.
The worst that can happen now is that Epic takes Steam place as the to go launcher for any future PC gaming. Nobody seemed to mind Valve's monopoly before, so why do they mind Epic so much now?

They say that Epic games is a troyan for Tencent, and that only makes me laugh. If that where the case, every single game, and I mean every single one, that is owned by or has Tencent involved, in any way is as much a Spyware as the store. So you better start deleting every game that has the name Tencent on it chop chop. Because you know, Spywares!

Gamers until now have been hitting hard on Dev companies, sometimes it was deserved, other times it went way overboard. To the point where "gamers" felt they where OWED perfection, just because they payed for the games.
The story always went like this. Either you deliver the game EXACTLY as I wanted, or me and my friends will review bomb the game on launch so hard that you will hardly make any money on it.
And now a new launcher appears that promises bigger cuts for the devs, no review system that can be exploited by toxic customers, and that gives devs forward cash just for putting their game on the store as a time exclusive?

No WONDER dev companies are switching in droves!

I think that it is more than time for Valve to start learning to count to 3, cause the easy life they where having so far has come to an abrupt and sudden end.

I have no interest personally on Rocket league, but I do intend on buying a few games on the Epic store.

Namely :

and

Here is the roadmap for Epic games launcher.
It should have much of the missing features people complain for before the end of the year.

While I agree when people say that the launcher is barebones, because it is...

I disagree when they say it is not user friendly.

It is as user friendly as it comes, you browse the store, you select your game, you pay for it, you install it, you play it.

If the Epic store is user undfriendly, then Steam must be a real nightmare!

I'm not a fan of Steam for many reasons, but they're the only company that actively supports native linux gaming, which makes them the cleanest dirty shirt.
Also means none of these other MS locked gaming delivery systems will ever see a penny from me.

I'm not a fan of Steam for many reasons, but they're the only company that actively supports native linux gaming, which makes them the cleanest dirty shirt.
They are not only supporting it, but also providing / coding infrastructure like the "Steam Runtime", "Steam Input" (for controller support) and "In-Home-Streaming", which make Linux ports viable for developers in the first place. And Valve's newest trick is "Proton" wrapping Direct3D11 to Vulkan running Windows games on Linux with official support from Steam.

tl;dr: SteamOS is a little bit more than just a launcher and a storefront.

While GOG and Humble Bundle happily provide Linux binary packages for download from developers who provide them, you are entirely on your own getting them to run. SteamOS offers an experience much closer to a game console, instead of tinkering for every single game and its launcher. It's in fact possible to migrate your existing Steam library to it and abandon the whole fragmented Windows store launcher mess (including Windows 10's Xbox tie-ins) completely now or at some point in the future. When the Windows 7 life cycle finally comes to an end, this might be where I end up.

It wo
Here is the roadmap for Epic games launcher.
It should have much of the missing features people complain for before the end of the year.

While I agree when people say that the launcher is barebones, because it is...

I disagree when they say it is not user friendly.

It is as user friendly as it comes, you browse the store, you select your game, you pay for it, you install it, you play it.

If the Epic store is user undfriendly, then Steam must be a real nightmare!

As far as i know. I don't like installing spyware...but
Epic games store has:
No shopping cart
No web browser
No review system
No return policy
No phone app
No friend chat system
No streaming service
No mod workshop support
No green light system
No item market place
No video/movie streaming
No developer tools support
No user profile blogs/ chat/ screen cap support.

Just to name a few off the top of my head. But what? Im suppose to accept ep8c games store just because they throw the devs a few extra % points in profit? They are already saving money by no longer having to worry about physical goods manufacturing, distribution and taxes.

If your going to compete ... then have a product that can compete. Don't throw around your 12yr old fortnight lootbox money, buy out companies and game titles, then lock behind an inferior game laucher and claim to be the "good guys".

Save me the roadmap "oh it will get better down the road" early access bull. I get enough of that from the truckload load of half baked "Games as a service" that come out these days.

(End of rant) sorry :)

Epic is ticking me off, because one of the games coming this year that I really want to play is an exclusive (Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, if anyone is curious which one).

This news further ticks me off....but I already installed their launcher for above mentioned game.

I'm upset, but not enough to fight it or complain loudly because, ultimately, I lost this war long before Epic even had a storefront. When EA games that I wanted to get were on Origin only and not Steam. When UBI Soft made me install Uplay to play their games even when I bought them through Steam. When Blizzard made me install BattleNet. Somwhere in there even Stardock got me to install their launcher. GoG is awesome....I actually installed them because I wanted to....which was a nice change of pace.

My point is...I lost the fight already, with all those other launchers. I don't have it in me to care beyond being annoyed by it now, one new launcher or 6 isn't going to change the fact that I already have more than one, which is all I honestly want.

It wo

As far as i know. I don't like installing spyware...but
Epic games store has:
No shopping cart
No web browser
No review system
No return policy
No phone app
No friend chat system
No streaming service
No mod workshop support
No green light system
No item market place
No video/movie streaming
No developer tools support
No user profile blogs/ chat/ screen cap support.

Just to name a few off the top of my head. But what? Im suppose to accept ep8c games store just because they throw the devs a few extra % points in profit? They are already saving money by no longer having to worry about physical goods manufacturing, distribution and taxes.

If your going to compete ... then have a product that can compete. Don't throw around your 12yr old fortnight lootbox money, buy out companies and game titles, then lock behind an inferior game laucher and claim to be the "good guys".

Save me the roadmap "oh it will get better down the road" early access bull. I get enough of that from the truckload load of half baked "Games as a service" that come out these days.

(End of rant) sorry :)

What if I told you....

That I don't need none of those features to play video games?

Chat system, what for? Everyone uses Discord nowadays.
No review system? THANK GOD! I personally got fed up of reviews stating that the games sucked beacause, and I quote, "the graphics are not to my taste". Last time I checked, graphics in a 4x game are secondary at best.
Return policy. Wrooooooooooooooooong, Epic game store has a refund policy. Here.

No web Browser. Because the one on Steam is so popular right? Never used it after 10 years of Steam.
Stream services. same as above, pro streamers use 3rd party tools, and the common folk just don't bother.
Mod workshop. This one I agree, a shame, but again not many games in the store yet that use it, and it is coming anyway.
No green light. You are just grasping at straws now right? As if green light was such a great idea to begin with.
No item market place? Who cares?
No developer tool support? Just the most popular video game engine EVER with unreal engine 4 at anyone's disposal and for FREE!
No user profile, blogs, chat, screen cap. Who cares? Never ever visited my user profile, I just want to play games. Chat? => discord! Screen cap? You mean screen shots? W10 by default. Many games have their own solutions for screen shots, heck Nvidia has one! Who has ever used Steam's screen shot software? I don't even remember wich button it is! I just remember that I changed it because I kept on pressing it by accident while playing.

You say Epic is the inferiour launcher? I say Its the best launcher of them all! Beauty being in the eyes of the beholder and all that. And it seems I'm not the only one since every game that switched to Epic has made better sales so far compared to Steam.

Last edited:
But that is not what an "exclusive" is. An exclusive release is limited to exactly one platform.
You're being pedantic. For a PC Gamer, the release of RGO will be exclusive to the Epic launcher, which is what I meant and I'm sure that what I meant is quite clear within the context of this thread.

Top Bottom