Escape pods, SRV weapons and original ships

So as this is the suggestions page here's some that I hope we'll see in the not too distant future.

Escape pods, they're in the game, you can find them at USS's and on the surface, but you never see an escape pod jettison out of a doomed ship. I feel it would add a whole new element to the game if you were able to collect up an escape pod from combat zones and such, rescue the pilots from the side you're fighting for or take prisoners from the other faction, capture the pirate/bounty you've been after and get a small additional bonus for bringing them in alive to face justice and do time behind bars, or sell on the people that you've just pirated from at star ports and stations with very loose and flexible morals!

SRV weapons, as there doesn't seem to be any move to introducing new SRV types, how about the ability to change your weapon load out on your SRV? A single repeater with a missile pylon, or a cannon mount, a Gatling gun or slow firing laser cannon, does more damage, but a longer delay before being able to fire again?

There's still some ships I think are missing from the game from the original Elite that I feel would help with immersion and nostalgia. The ships are the Boa, Cobra MkI, Constrictor, Gecko, Krait (call it a MkI, single seat light fighter), Moray Star Boat, Shuttles, Transporters, Worm Class Landing Craft and Wolf MkII (Amiga 500 version). These ships could be NPC ships to start with eventually making their way into Commanders hands. Have the older style ships appear more in the fringe sections of the bubble areas were people don't have the credits to buy the big and new shiny ships.

Here's hoping that someone from Frontier gives this a read and likes the suggestions.

I agree.

For the smaller ships (the Worm, Orbit Shuttles etc.): they could be solely intra-system vessels. There could be more intra-system missions requiring these vessels.

For larger vessels (e.g. the Boa) I've suggested this before: they could be ultra-large, so big they can't dock and have to use smaller vessels (e.g. the Worm, Orbit Shuttles etc) to ferry cargo.

I know that FDev have a tendency to introduce/reintroduce ships as mid-sized multipurpose ships (eg the Krait(s) and the Mamba). If they were going to do this with the other ships I'd rather they didn't bother. Definitely need more small ships and more ultra-large.

There could be rescue ships hanging around on the edge of the battle. Rescuing a certain number pilots by transferring them to the rescue ship could become part of the cz objectives. This would allow non-combat pilots to participate in the cz, especially if you were part of a wing.

An embedded nuclear option. Imagine approaching a planet and seeing that mushroom cloud... you know someone went nuclear.
Speaking of which, I'd love to have a residual radiation effect whenever ships blow up, complete with a Fallout 3 style Geiger counter clicking noise as you fly through radiation clouds. :)

Speaking of which, I'd love to have a residual radiation effect whenever ships blow up, complete with a Fallout 3 style Geiger counter clicking noise as you fly through radiation clouds. :)
When all else failed or you were up against it I used to love resorting to the energy bomb on the old (80's) Elite. You could even take out a low tech space station along with sending in missiles and military lasers. That bomb would seriously damage / destroy anything within radar range. Obviously with the open play that we have today invoking the energy bomb just wouldn't be good sport, and / or good for the game but it would be nice to bring some sort of element to that back. Maybe an EMP bomb so that would take out your sensors, flight assist etc?

Bring back Energy Bombs.

Let MAD become a thing in the galaxy.

Griefer comes along chortling, "i'm going to grief that CMDR by setting off my energy bomb." Trader, "lol, there's a griefer, activate Energy Bomb." Make the radius 10km, so well outside the range of the longest weapons.

Its not like rebuy means anything these days anyway.

Fully agree with lots of what's said here. It would be more realistic and fun to have those escape capsules properly back in the game. Obviously it would be hard for Frontier to make it balanced for PvP but maybe have different rules for different engagements / battles, missions etc. E.g. depending on the faction / politic have laws that in certain conditions it's illegal to capture escape pods, and destroying them would come with even heavier penalties but where (e.g) Anarchy / Feudal systems I daresay would come with less penalty rules. Especially in open play so players can make a choice. Suggestion if it ever gets introduced; make it hard to catch those escape pods. Make them fast like in the original. On all that, I'm sure back then the Krait had way better maneouverability than the ED version today. Oh I could go on, but it's a nice game and it's always improving.

Maybe have an energy bomb that would damage your own ship too? Although it still kinda invites griefers to self destruct / kamikazee so it could still be tricky to introduce. Maybe everyone suffers from EMP? They all lose FLight Assist and radar. That would seperate the commanders from the elite..
Anyway - escape capsules.. Bring em on! :)

Top Bottom