Etiquette? What etiquette?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Humph.....

Currently riding the rim in a Beagle-wards direction up at the top of Mare Somnia and every single body in the edge systems has been scanned, down to the last moon!

Obviously finding usual suspect tags (Allitnil, Valije, Shadownuar, etc.) that you'd expect but also finding a certain Cmdr has been causing carnage ;) and sweeping up every un-tagged body rather than leaving some (even one!!!!) for other Cmdrs.

Unwritten rules of exploration etiquette out of the window..

Grrrrrr :(

Must stop taking it out on the ship's cat!!

Wouldn't the unwritten rule be more, "do a complete scan or not at all"? or that is what I would say, because there are more then enough systems out there, and leaving stranglers just seems silly.
Agreed if talking about 'normal' systems, more than enough to go round but, these are edge systems (the very rim of navigable space, no more systems within current jump range, no more systems showing on Ga;lMap). Historically, Cmdrs have left their mark but, where possible, left some bodies untagged for those following in their footsteps.

Anyhoo, as I say, I shouldn't grumble as its each to their own style of play..

Agreed if talking about 'normal' systems, more than enough to go round but, these are edge systems (the very rim of navigable space, no more systems within current jump range, no more systems showing on Ga;lMap). Historically, Cmdrs have left their mark but, where possible, left some bodies untagged for those following in their footsteps.

Anyhoo, as I say, I shouldn't grumble as its each to their own style of play..
Yeah, but there will never be enough of said edge systems though you'll just end up with a x first situation, or you'd end up wandering the edge to look for a place to place your "I was here" mark. Personally I enjoy flying about randomly there is a TON of places that have interesting systems that are just a little off the beaten path so to speak.

Geez. How many 'bodies' did I pass getting to where I am? Isn't that enough that are not scanned? If I scan I scan, if I don't it isn't because I think there is a 1:4,000,000,000th chance you'll ever even find the system I'm tagging.

Yeah, but there will never be enough of said edge systems though you'll just end up with a x first situation, or you'd end up wandering the edge to look for a place to place your "I was here" mark. Personally I enjoy flying about randomly there is a TON of places that have interesting systems that are just a little off the beaten path so to speak.
someone mention random?

I'm all for random :)

Unfortunately with our new exploration tools we MUST scan every single body in the system just to find out if it is worth to be scanned 🤬
As a result, on DW2 trip i scan approx. 1 system in 15. Which makes the trip extremely boring and meaningless. But apparently other commanders have the patience and stamina to scan everything. Cant blame them.
I miss the old system.

Unfortunately with our new exploration tools we MUST scan every single body in the system just to find out if it is worth to be scanned 🤬
As a result, on DW2 trip i scan approx. 1 system in 15. Which makes the trip extremely boring and meaningless. But apparently other commanders have the patience and stamina to scan everything. Cant blame them.
I miss the old system.

My understanding of the new FSS is that it we're forced to use it to identify number and type of bodies in a system but a body is only tagged when you zoom in on it which you're not forced to do. I'll zoom on ELW, AW, WW but, in edge systems I'll generally leave some icy body, metal rich etc as a) I'm lazy and b) for others to tag. Exception is when I looking for a replen of mats - scan everything to ascertain type & % of mats..

And I too still miss the old system - damn you FD :)

My understanding of the new FSS is that it we're forced to use it to identify number and type of bodies in a system but a body is only tagged when you zoom in on it which you're not forced to do. I'll zoom on ELW, AW, WW but, in edge systems I'll generally leave some icy body, metal rich etc as a) I'm lazy and b) for others to tag. Exception is when I looking for a replen of mats - scan everything to ascertain type & % of mats..

And I too still miss the old system - damn you FD :)

It depends what are you looking for :) If you are interested in very big/small objects, glowing gas giants or just planets with weird colors - you must scan everything. And i would guess many explorers are looking for these things. Personally i am much more happier to find an unusually large ice world than a standard ELW

The bane of every explorer's life.

Thousands of LY from the nearest tagged system, a promising system ahead. Ah ha! Is that an earthlike? Woo hoo, could it be mine? No, its already Allitnil's! Damn that man!
I'd protest and shout 'heresy' but I agree with you..

Double damn that Alitinil!

And triple damn FD for allowing him free reign over shiny things!

Deleted member 38366

D
IMHO if you're into large (by System numbers) areas of entirely untagged space.... the outer rim towards Beagle (Tourist Region) is the wrong place.

Head into one of the densest arms somewhere in the general area of the center... and countless Millions of untagged Systems await you within less than 200LY of any position.
Even near Tourist spots.
It's just physically impossible to scan everything there, simply due to the insane System Density.

But head out into the scarcest areas of space - chances are you'll only see old footsteps of record-seekers and those "sampling the outer edges".
Ironically by those who did it for similar reasons - find untagged Systems ;)

Personally, I'm in the "always scan the entire system, looking for the oddities (like GGGs)" camp. I used to be in the "hey, save something for the rest of us" camp, but not any more, thanks to the new FSS.

Mapping is the new Tagging, since hardly anyone wastes time to stop and Map every single object in the system. With the exception of Earth-likes, I rarely probe and Map things, unless I'm in a system where everything is already Tagged but not everything is Mapped.

I recently visited an EDSM POI I happened to stumble upon - a black hole system inside a planetary nebula out in the middle of nowhere. EDSM reports 31 visitors to the system. It's been completely Tagged, probably long ago, but only the most interesting worlds were Mapped. I mapped one uninteresting object in the system, just to plant the flag.

It could be worse... scanning some bodies along the way to find that someone else did the same route as you, scan everything but decided to finish midway and sell the data before you. You will discover it if you keep going clockwise on the rim.

Anyways, I am not all that concerned about the tags. I know I was there and that is enough for me. In my rim expedition I didn't tag every system I was in, even if there were unscanned bodies.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom