Even For Free, It's A Hard Sell For This Game

I gifted five copies of Elite out to friends during the Steam Sale.

One has hit a brick wall in the tutorial, and ejected. Unfortunately, he heads a large group of cultists, who may come after me... he also caused an asteroid to strike within 200 KM of town. Also, all the burning radioactive landfills in this state are under his power. :(

One is persevering, trying to unlearn decades of RL combat training. Elite is definitely not a full-on DACT (Dissimilar Air Combat Training) sim.

One has gone radio-silent.

One is joyously killing everything in her way. Stephanie can kill anything.

And my old buddy from my enlisted times, a senior master sergeant, has Gone To The Dark Side, happily running slaves for Zemina Torval. In an E-rated Sidewinder! I had to give him an hours tutorial on pip management, and desperately upgrading his modules. He's closing in on a million credits after less than four days. In a mostly E-rated Sidewinder (he had trouble finding modules, at first).

So, out of five seasoned gamers, only two have emerged from the tutorials. A small sample size you say?

Try buying copies for others, and get back to me.

The High Cultist has been bribed off with a heal from me in last night's game session, and the locations for various radioactive hot spots. So, there is still hope.

For those of you about to taunt me, my pal who is the coder bought his own copy, and was not included in this.

One has hit a brick wall in the tutorial, and ejected. Unfortunately, he heads a large group of cultists, who may come after me... he also caused an asteroid to strike within 200 KM of town. Also, all the burning radioactive landfills in this state are under his power. :(

One is persevering, trying to unlearn decades of RL combat training. Elite is definitely not a full-on DACT (Dissimilar Air Combat Training) sim.

And my old buddy from my enlisted times, a senior master sergeant, has Gone To The Dark Side, happily running slaves for Zemina Torval. In an E-rated Sidewinder! I had to give him an hours tutorial on pip management, and desperately upgrading his modules. He's closing in on a million credits after less than four days. In a mostly E-rated Sidewinder (he had trouble finding modules, at first).

So, out of five seasoned gamers, only two have emerged from the tutorials. A small sample size you say?

I've bought a few copies of this game for people I know. A couple played for a while and then quit. Don't get discouraged about it though. You gotta remember this is a Niche game so most people it wont appeal to. That's why it's not sold more than it has. You need to make friends from inside the game and not bring others into it and just have your elite friends and your normal friends and be ok with having seperate friends.

IMO the tutorials are too hard. I just ended up skipping them and played the game (after watching hours of Obsidian Ant videos on the topic). That free Sidewinder and a good howto video is all you need to learn the ropes.

Bally well right old bean, what what

Tutorials are possibly the worst ever, too tedious, too many and far too Alliance.

Burn it down, burn it all down

Tatty bye and may one also venture a stiff upper lip

While all of my friends who i got into ED made it through the tutorial, several did't make it much further. Only by using Multi-Crew, they managed to get some fun out of the game at all. Regular gameplay just felt like more overhead than actual gameplay to them and very much discouraged them from logging in again.

No idea how to fix that, though. The semi-simulation aspect of the game gives it a unique touch and it wouldn't be the same without it.

Two out of five is an excellent quota for Elite starters!
This game still comes with that brutal learning curve and I really hope that never changes. The moment it becomes simplified and casual might be the moment it drops dead.

I've had very mixed results buying copies for friends, but also some positive results bringing friends back.

Like was said above, it's a niche game. Not everyone wants to fly space ships. I find that bizarre, but I've accepted that we live in an era of mass personalization and catering to customized tastes.

I'll take a good burger and beer joint over McDonalds any day, even if the masses prefer Mickey D.

Purchased X4 Foundations for a Star Citizen org mate, since he had it on his wish list, but he hardly played it.

That cured me of purchasing video games for others in the future.
And out of interest, is X4 Foundations any good? I only learned of its existence today.

No, it just means it is not an appealing product to people not interested in the product. If your friends are not interested in trying it for 7 bucks it is just not their game.

We all have limited leisure time, and most of us will do what we enjoy rather than something else just be sure it's free.

Yes, very much so. But as with all EgoSoft products you need a certain tolerance for bugs.
Thanks. Is it on the level of bugs in Elite, eg. panel 1 doesn't update after dropping out of supercruise sometimes, conflict zones anchored to fast-moving close-orbit planets move the combat zone out of playable space as its travelling at Mm speeds, buttons disappear from the galaxy map (no more "compare" for commodities since the update...) or worse?
Sorry for hijacking the thread BTW.

My buddy got the game for like $3 (with DLC through Steam sale shenanigans and discounts) and ended up returning the game. Like many seasoned vets, he picked up quite quickly how shallow the game really is. His final question hit the nail right on the head - what is the gameplay loop?

Great question. I've been asking myself that question for 5+ years.

My buddy got the game for like $3 (with DLC through Steam sale shenanigans and discounts) and ended up returning the game. Like many seasoned vets, he picked up quite quickly how shallow the game really is. His final question hit the nail right on the head - what is the gameplay loop?

Great question. I've been asking myself that question for 5+ years.

Really?

Your account is new and you are already ripping on the game?

Your prerogative I suppose but looks very, very suspect to me old bean.

Any chance you have come here by mistake?

The COD forums are a little further back (3km) and to the left, yes, that's right. You just have to take that very long walk over that very short pier.

Oh, look at me, getting all defensive and what not.

Your opinion is as valid as any other dear Cmdr, please, provide more of your wonderful insight.

I await with a sense of anticip...........
...................ation?

Toodly pipsky old bean

PS,
Yes, yes, I know this is not my normal high brow intellectual banter but sometimes, REALLY?

PPS,
Dogs still can't look up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom