Expand your Player Base with Portals

The Problem: A single play thread with limited switching.

ED is one of my favorite games, but it has one major drawback that I believe limits it’s appeal, especially to younger players: single-threaded game play that is gaited by the Frame Shift Drive. This makes it extremely difficult to context switch quickly for whatever reason, stay entertained and therefore continue playing.

I would love to visit Colonia, or join an expedition to Beagle Point, but those are huge investments of real time which eliminate any possibility of doing something else in the game. Want to do some conflict zone combat back in the bubble in one of my own ships? Too bad. Want to do some ground-based settlement missions with my friend? Sorry. Want to spend some time exploring some dark corner of the galaxy that I’ve spent a month flying a ship to? Not really, because I shut myself off from the dozens of other activities this game has to offer.

So, I limit my activities to shorter-term commitments that are easier to switch away from. I stay in the bubble, where the options to do different things and utilize the various ships in my personal fleet are easier to accommodate. In short: the “game” is too “real”.

Get a fleet carrier? Don’t be ridiculous.

The Solution: A Commander Transporter System

Every ship has a new core module called a commander transporter that can be “connected” back to single, pre-designated “home base” - a starport or planetary port with a large landing pad. This transporter module allows you - the commander - to transport, not the ship.

Want to fly a ship to Colonia? Go for it! When at some point along that very long journey you want to stop and transport back to the bubble to do some bounty hunting with your friend, just park your ship and transport back to your home base where you can then jump in your trusty combat ship or transport to it if it is elsewhere.

Want to incorporate it into the infamous ED grind? Fine, set up the transporter module exactly like the FSD module, only add a couple of zeros to its range. Put a cool down on it as a nod to the “simulation” element of the game. Tie improvements to range and/or cool down to engineering.

I believe there are numerous benefits to a system like this:
  1. It would promote more exploration of the vast, yet still overwhelmingly unexplored galaxy that is unique to Elite Dangerous.
  2. It would encourage broader use of the existing fleet of available ships, since their use won’t be as gaited by their FSD limitations.
  3. It would allow rapid activity context switching in-game, which will keep players playing.
  4. It would be a compelling use case for ship, carrier, and station interiors, but certainly wouldn’t require them.
  5. This would help retain existing players and attract new players.
This type of system would still preserve existing ship travel, a core element of Elite Dangerous. But it would greatly ease the limitations around “where” my gameplay activity is.

Today, if I choose to take that trip to Colonia, I must accept the consequence of leaving the bubble and all the things I can do there. A commander transporter system would remove that limitation and make it much easier to experience all that Elite Dangerous has to offer.

Last edited:
Get a fleet carrier? Don’t be ridiculous. In short: the “game” is too “real”.
jack deal with it.gif

Is it just me that boiled the OP down to a request for "removal of consequences"?

I mean, there is a soupçon of "waaa fast travel waaa", but its mainly "remove consequences", all while recognising and wishing to preserve the unique aspects of Elite Dangerous, the very same unique aspects that the suggestion is trying to remove.

The Problem: A single play thread with limited switching.

ED is one of my favorite games, but it has one major drawback that I believe limits it’s appeal, especially to younger players: single-threaded game play that is gaited by the Frame Shift Drive. This makes it extremely difficult to context switch quickly for whatever reason, stay entertained and therefore continue playing.

I would love to visit Colonia, or join an expedition to Beagle Point, but those are huge investments of real time which eliminate any possibility of doing something else in the game. Want to do some conflict zone combat back in the bubble in one of my own ships? Too bad. Want to do some ground-based settlement missions with my friend? Sorry. Want to spend some time exploring some dark corner of the galaxy that I’ve spent a month flying a ship to? Not really, because I shut myself off from the dozens of other activities this game has to offer.

So, I limit my activities to shorter-term commitments that are easier to switch away from. I stay in the bubble, where the options to do different things and utilize the various ships in my personal fleet are easier to accommodate. In short: the “game” is too “real”.

Get a fleet carrier? Don’t be ridiculous.

The Solution: A Commander Transporter System

Every ship has a new core module called a commander transporter that can be “connected” back to single, pre-designated “home base” - a starport or planetary port with a large landing pad. This transporter module allows you - the commander - to transport, not the ship.

Want to fly a ship to Colonia? Go for it! When at some point along that very long journey you want to stop and transport back to the bubble to do some bounty hunting with your friend, just park your ship and transport back to your home base where you can then jump in your trusty combat ship or transport to it if it is elsewhere.

Want to incorporate it into the infamous ED grind? Fine, set up the transporter module exactly like the FSD module, only add a couple of zeros to its range. Put a cool down on it as a nod to the “simulation” element of the game. Tie improvements to range and/or cool down to engineering.

I believe there are numerous benefits to a system like this:
  1. It would promote more exploration of the vast, yet still overwhelmingly unexplored galaxy that is unique to Elite Dangerous.
  2. It would encourage broader use of the existing fleet of available ships, since their use won’t be as gaited by their FSD limitations.
  3. It would allow rapid activity context switching in-game, which will keep players playing.
  4. It would be a compelling use case for ship, carrier, and station interiors, but certainly wouldn’t require them.
  5. This would help retain existing players and attract new players.
This type of system would still preserve existing ship travel, a core element of Elite Dangerous. But it would greatly ease the limitations around “where” my gameplay activity is.

Today, if I choose to take that trip to Colonia, I must accept the consequence of leaving the bubble and all the things I can do there. A commander transporter system would remove that limitation and make it much easier to experience all that Elite Dangerous has to offer.
What you accused as being a drawback for some is the appeal to many.

I understand the point of view of the OP, but from a completely opposite direction. I mean no disrespect, but that proposal is the denial of the nature of this game.

There is another game that many consider an alternative to ED. I don't, it's not even a space game. It's loads of fun, I've played it for hundreds of hours, but I always get bored of it, and come back to ED.
You can use portals in that game. It trivialises everything.

ED is built around expanded travel times. Understandably, it is unappealing to most, but it's the choice of how to approach things that makes it so charming, and it is one of the pillars of its design. Asking to change it is like asking that a sports game gets rid of the sport because one doesn't have time to play it.

It won't happen, and not because there are more people pro than people against, but because the game is the designer's vision. It's meant to be this way.
ED is one of those niche games where you can't have the cake and eat it.

I like the galaxy to stay big.

...Though I wish there was more varied stuff in it. And that might include "stargates" built by a lost ancient civilisation, but not in places convenient to US. Somewhere already remote and difficult to reach.

If that civilisation never developed FSD's, they might even be the only way that an otherwise sublight civilisation could reach nearby stars. Imagine a huge ring in space, which connects a star system to another one 6ly away.

If that civilisation never developed FSD's, they might even be the only way that an otherwise sublight civilisation could reach nearby stars. Imagine a huge ring in space, which connects a star system to another one 6ly away.
you had me until ...
connects a star system to another one 6ly away.
seriously?

I could see a small number of gates that jump between remote areas - the Guardians are already in far flung areas so jamming a gate tech into their lore would work. The main issue with anything like this is that the 'easy mode' players would immediately start whining for gates everywhere and never stop. Which is a shame.

Have you tried NMS?
it has faster travel, inclusive teleport gates.

As far Elite goes, playing in 1-on-1 replica of Milky Way has its perks. And its drawbacks

you had me until ...

seriously?

I could see a small number of gates that jump between remote areas - the Guardians are already in far flung areas so jamming a gate tech into their lore would work. The main issue with anything like this is that the 'easy mode' players would immediately start whining for gates everywhere and never stop. Which is a shame.

I am entirely in, as long as, and I say this seriously, you actually have to wait the length of time it takes to travel to new systems at sub-light speeds to set up a new gate. So if the empire discovered a way to make gates, but the components simply couldn't be transported using FSD tech, it either had to be built on site or transported in "generation ships" then I think that's a good compromise, it would stop the exploitation of the tech to build a gate in say BP and many other remote places while at the same time satisfying the fast travel desires.

So you would end up with advanced systems in the bubble and Colonia building gates and becoming central hubs for transport, but getting to the nearest undeveloped planets, well anyone got a few hundred years to wait? Of course gankers would flock to gate exits and entrances, but you could simply completely ignore them and just use your FSD, in fact it appears the only players this will please is the PvP crowd, they would have an endless supply of target using these gates, fun time for all!

I would love to visit Colonia, or join an expedition to Beagle Point, but those are huge investments of real time which eliminate any possibility of doing something else in the game.
Yes, ^^this, game is exactly about that so Big Space and choices.
No need for portals otherwise it will be NMS clone.

Appropriately implemented, I guess it could be okay. For example, an implementation I could endorse might be: an ancient alien species created portal tech, but very few such portals are still working. The only known one is in an unpopulated system near the bubble. It leads to an apparently insignificant system in, idk, Newton's Vault. There is no known return portal. Think carefully before diving in!

Appropriately implemented, I guess it could be okay. For example, an implementation I could endorse might be: an ancient alien species created portal tech, but very few such portals are still working. The only known one is in an unpopulated system near the bubble. It leads to an apparently insignificant system in, idk, Newton's Vault. There is no known return portal. Think carefully before diving in!
It's a RAXXLA. Just find it :D

Top Bottom