Ships Exploration/Light Combat DBX, best shields to go with mirrored armor?

Link to current build I’m aiming for:

I’m not looking to minmax jump range, just to keep it at or above 70LY with the FSD rewarded in the recent CG.

The DBX build I’ve used until now had reactive armor engineered to G5 lightweight, and got just over 60 LY jump range unladen. I found that mirrored armor engineered to G5 lightweight is significantly lighter, giving me the best bang for the buck in HP for the weight, but I was hoping to make it able to survive PVE if I get interdicted by fighting instead of fleeing if at all possible (a DBX isn’t going to outrun a FDL, and I know from experience that some will attack even if you aren’t carrying anything).

Armaments-wise I’m in good shape; my main concern is, how do you want to engineer shields to best compliment the resistances in mirrored armor? For my first build it was easy — thermal resistant shields with two D-grade resistance augmented boosters. Was looking at a heavy kinetic resistant build for this, but if my shields go down I’m vulnerable to kinetic damage.

Any advice? Can I expect NPCs to switch from thermal weapons to kinetic after dropping my shields? My original DBX can make it through a low intensity combat zone, hoped to get my new one to a similar level of aptitude if at all possible.

Why not fit lightweight alloy - G5 Heavy Duty mod with your choice of Plating experimental - so mass = 0t ... G5 heavy duty mod on lightweight alloy is what I fit to exploration / jumpy builds.

Last edited:
watch your resistances with mirrored armour. Huge explosive/kinetic holes there and you don't have much in shields to mitigate that kind of damage.

I'd still suggest going back to G5 LW Reactives tbh and take the jump range hit (seriously why do you need such a range in a single jump?) and get a much better resist profile all up.

watch your resistances with mirrored armour. Huge explosive/kinetic holes there and you don't have much in shields to mitigate that kind of damage.

I'd still suggest going back to G5 LW Reactives tbh and take the jump range hit (seriously why do you need such a range in a single jump?) and get a much better resist profile all up.
I’m keeping the original build as a separate ship, it’s served me too well not to, just wanted to see if I could get above 70 LY with this one and still survive a firefight when I have to.

For reference, here’s the original ship build:

Define 'survive a firefight'?

At those ranges you'll be paper thin at best so awareness is the best way to 'survive' if you want to be able to fight your original build is fine tbh but I'd swap out a couple of modules/experiementals like this, you will lose 0.18 ly jump but be a heck of a lot tougher to kill

TBH for a light combat/explo build I've flown something very similar for quite some time...

Define 'survive a firefight'?

At those ranges you'll be paper thin at best so awareness is the best way to 'survive' if you want to be able to fight your original build is fine tbh but I'd swap out a couple of modules/experiementals like this, you will lose 0.18 ly jump but be a heck of a lot tougher to kill

TBH for a light combat/explo build I've flown something very similar for quite some time...
Hmm... variation on your concept here. We might be onto something.

Shame to lose the supercruise assist on long trips in the black, nice to just let it do its thing if I’m heading a few hundred thousand LS out to a remote binary companion system to map stuff, but even a size 1 hull reinforcement makes a world of difference.

Top Bottom