Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

I scan gas giants if they are not too far away, on the basis that every little really does help and I'm in no rush. My enjoyment is in playing the game, not rushing to the next ship.

But if a gas giant is 100kls away, then no way! But I would for an ELW or WW.

I'll add in Water Giants for Beta 6 - which should be getting unleashed Soon

You'll need to remove the file called cl_values.db from the database directory of Captain's Log. CL creates this file automatically if it finds it doesn't exist, which means it's easy for me to keep adding a default value database for stars and planets as and when the need arises. Actually, hmm I just had a better idea - I'll just add a "recreate values database" button in the Data Manager window - that makes it more convenient for everyone.

Now, if someone can tell me how much they're worth, vaguely, that'd be golden. A suitable low<<--->>high range would be extra shiny ;)

Regards

I'll add in Water Giants for Beta 6 - which should be getting unleashed Soon

You'll need to remove the file called cl_values.db from the database directory of Captain's Log. CL creates this file automatically if it finds it doesn't exist, which means it's easy for me to keep adding a default value database for stars and planets as and when the need arises. Actually, hmm I just had a better idea - I'll just add a "recreate values database" button in the Data Manager window - that makes it more convenient for everyone.

Now, if someone can tell me how much they're worth, vaguely, that'd be golden. A suitable low<<--->>high range would be extra shiny ;)

Regards

For values I always look here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=46533&d=1435097810. Water Giants seem to be a flat 1600.

Do you have terraformable rocky planets too?

Whilst you are at it, can you add an "unscanned" type too? What would be handy would be to be able to put in the number of discovered bodies and then the number automatically decrement as you identify the types.

Last edited:
Updated to 1.0.0 Beta 6

1.0.0. Beta 6 Changelog:

- Now an overlay-style application: stays on top of the game (but game needs to be in Windowed or Borderless mode. Will not work in full screen mode. Borderless is preferred).

- Clicking on the Captain's Log label at the top left toggles the rollup/unfurled state.

- Added a CheckBox to hide the Windows Taskbar or not: This makes using CL as an overlay more pleasant, as that ugly taskbar won't intrude when CL gets input focus. The taskbar is restored upon exiting CL.

- Adding a planet made slightly more pleasant: A planet can be added by pressing Return when the planet type combobox is in focus.

- Input focus returns to planet designation input box after planet is added.

- Re-enabled row counts on the Jump Table - this gives a quick and easy way to count how many jumps have been registered in a database.

- Since making the program an overlay-type, make sure all threads are shut down before actually quitting the program. This means the program no longer keeps running even if the final/main window has been closed.

- Added two new default Planet types and values to the planet values database: Water Giant and Terraformable Rocky Planet.

- Added a "Recreate star/planet values database" button to the Data Manager window. NOTE: This will delete the existing star/planet database and re-create it with a new one. If you have manually added planet types, be aware that this may change any classifications you manually input before. In this case I suggest you keep your current star/planet values database. If you have not manually added your own classifications, you will not notice any difference in your data, apart from having two new classifications available when adding a planet to a system.

- Prevent the Escape key from closing the CL main window.

Great changes, esp the Return key input, and the input focus to input box.

I was wondering, any way to get a total creds sum based on oh I don't know, hi-lighting a range of jumps, or does this tool already exist?

Last edited:
Great changes, esp the Return key input, and the input focus to input box.

I was wondering, any way to get a total creds sum based on oh I don't know, hi-lighting a range of jumps, or does this tool already exist?

I dunno, ya give a centimetre and they want the mile ;)

I'll see what I can do for a future version.

Regards!

Well, having played with the new version for a few hours, I have to say I like it! Didn't take long to adjust my new system routine, though occasionally I'm still finding myself heading for ALT TAB... :)

Last edited:
Anyone else having problems running this on a separate computer from your gaming rig with network access the the game log folder. Worked fine in version 5, but I get errors in version 6.
Tried a clean install, selected the folders fine, but am now getting the following error.
CaptainsLog error 1.PNG

If I run as administrator I get:
CaptainsLog error 2.PNG

Edit: Fixed it. Turned out I had only shared out read access to my ED Logs folder. Captains Log requires read/write.

Last edited:
Loving this program. I have fallen in love with exploring again. So much so I cant even face doing it without this running.

So excited I stupidly installed without uninstalling the older version. Now getting this error.... Any ideas.

Please Help!

Thanks in adavance

error.jpg

Loving this program. I have fallen in love with exploring again. So much so I cant even face doing it without this running.

So excited I stupidly installed without uninstalling the older version. Now getting this error.... Any ideas.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance

View attachment 47141

Worked out that my database is corrupted, I have multiple entries of the same star. Started a new one, but couldnt work out how to edit the extra entries from the old database. Is this even possible?

Worked out that my database is corrupted, I have multiple entries of the same star. Started a new one, but couldnt work out how to edit the extra entries from the old database. Is this even possible?

Wow you really did something bad there eh? :)

Well, try sqlite admin, it's free and available from http://sqliteadmin.orbmu2k.de/

I recommend you take a backup of the naff file and work on the copy.

Tell me how you got on ;)

Regards.

- - - Updated - - -

Altough I like the changes, went back to 1.5, as I run dual-monitors.

The upcoming Beta 7 now has mode switching between the normal windowed mode and overlay-style ;)

Coming Soon[tm]

Regards!

Wow you really did something bad there eh? :)

Well, try sqlite admin, it's free and available from http://sqliteadmin.orbmu2k.de/

I recommend you take a backup of the naff file and work on the copy.

Tell me how you got on ;)

Regards.

- - - Updated - - -

The upcoming Beta 7 now has mode switching between the normal windowed mode and overlay-style ;)

Coming Soon[tm]

Regards!

Thanks for the reply. Seriously I wouldn't load the game till this was solved. It just seems so much more purposeful being able to record my findings in this way. FD are you reading? Sign this guy up!

Nickelpede

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem as the poster above with a "Python error in main script".
Beta 5 was working no probs. Updated to Beta 6 (which looks great) and got the error.
Now I can see there is a duplication in the data of the last two systems... But I didn't do anything to make that happen other than the upgrade.
Im no SQL genius so is there some way to rebuild the DB easily or can I delete the DB and it will be rebuilt?
2015-06-27_173741.png2015-06-27_174105.png

I'm having the same problem as the poster above with a "Python error in main script".
Beta 5 was working no probs. Updated to Beta 6 (which looks great) and got the error.
Now I can see there is a duplication in the data of the last two systems... But I didn't do anything to make that happen other than the upgrade.
Im no SQL genius so is there some way to rebuild the DB easily or can I delete the DB and it will be rebuilt?
View attachment 47260View attachment 47261

That's really odd! Nothing was changed in the database handling, all the changes between b5 and b6 were cosmetic.

I'm wondering if you two managed to run more than one instance of CL?

You can try loading the database into sqlite admin, I gave the link above.

Load it into sqlite admin , find the duplicate entry and delete it.

Meanwhile I'll have a look at my code to see if there's anything bad that would cause that. No smoke without fire I suppose.

And I'll take steps to make sure that there can be only one instance of CL running at any one time, as well.

Take a copy of the DB and work on that. Failing that, I can have a look at that DB myself. Just reply here with your progress.

Regards.

Wow, you are QUICK! :) Thanks for the speedy reply.

No, I don't think I was running two copies at the same time.

As I've only *just* started using it, and literally only had two System notes of no consequence, it was no big deal for me to just create a new DB re-create the data from the jump logs.

BTW, when I go to delete the dodgy DB, the Delete confirmation dialogue popped up behind the DB manager window. I had to... Actually I can't remember how I managed to get control of it again as the DB manager window was in front of the modal yes/no box. Anyway, all good but needs fixing. :)

Suggestions:

Currently always in the top left... But when you have the System map open, the details of the currently selected item are under the Captains Log window, obscuring it. Could we have an option to move the window and have it open in that same location every time?

How do we send a donation? You deserve it!

Wow, you are QUICK! :) Thanks for the speedy reply.

No, I don't think I was running two copies at the same time.

As I've only *just* started using it, and literally only had two System notes of no consequence, it was no big deal for me to just create a new DB re-create the data from the jump logs.

BTW, when I go to delete the dodgy DB, the Delete confirmation dialogue popped up behind the DB manager window. I had to... Actually I can't remember how I managed to get control of it again as the DB manager window was in front of the modal yes/no box. Anyway, all good but needs fixing. :)

Suggestions:

Currently always in the top left... But when you have the System map open, the details of the currently selected item are under the Captains Log window, obscuring it. Could we have an option to move the window and have it open in that same location every time?

How do we send a donation? You deserve it!

Thanks for the feedback - all feedback is good!

I'm working on the next Beta - there is now the option to switch between overlay and the ol' fashioned standard window'ed mode, for those of use who play with two monitors. I've also improved the window handling in overlay mode, so the dialogs should no longer be trapped behind the overlay window - sorry about that!

With regards to the window position, yeah I was a bit lazy for that and couldn't be bothered putting in code for handling the positioning ;)

I'll see what I can do about that for the next Beta.

What screen resolution are you using? That would be useful data - I could then test stuff in the same resolution. I work on two monitors both at 1920x1080, so I don't usually test the program at lower resolutions than that.

Since you asked, there's a donation link on my Scarygliders site, though I'm not really looking for donations for this, but at your discretion of course ;) If people want to throw beer tokens in my direction I'm not going to stop them :)

Anyway, I'd still like to see that DB file if you kept it at all. Might help me understand why a double-entry managed to sneak in there.

Best regards

Top Bottom