Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

CL_Logo.jpg

Captain's Log 2.x is now the official release series and supercedes the old 1.x versions

Latest post with release details : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...aptain-s-Log?p=6441697&viewfull=1#post6441697

Latest Download : Captain's Log 2.x : https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/download/captains-log-2x/

NOTE: Support is available at the Captain's Log Discord : https://discord.gg/F7CJDTM

Captain's Log 2 Documentation available at : https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/user-manuals/captains-log-2x/

cSQw4xO.png

Notes on Captain's Log 2:

1) DB format is completely new - not compatible with CL 1.x - No import from old DB's is planned currently, as the work involved would be too much.

2) Installs as a different application (CaptainsLog2)

3) All scan data is auto-entered - no more manual input apart from bookmarks, and notes

4) Will flag up when FSD Boost materials are available in one system and the different grades (e.g. whether J1, J2, or J3 ("Jumponium") grades are available.

5) I am working on an EDSM module to sync to and from EDSM.

6) Please read the latest posts for any information - bug reports and feedback are greatly appreciated!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Version (old) : 1.4.1
<--- this is the last version of the 1.x series.

Description

Captain's Log is primarily an Elite: Dangerous Explorer's application, allowing you to keep track of all your jumps into systems, as you explore the galaxy.
I wrote this for myself, inspired by the most excellent EDDiscovery application. I really like EDDiscovery, but I didn't need/want some of its features, and I wanted features not currently available in it. So here is Captain's Log.

I've decided to share it with the rest of you.

It comes without guarantee or warranty as to its fitness for purpose, and comes as-is. You have no rights or entitlements to bug fixes, updates or otherwise - BUT, I will be releasing updates as and when I do some more work to it, and I do genuinely hope you find it useful and enjoyable to use. :)

It took me roughly two and a half weeks to write it, and I learned an awful lot of useful stuff whilst doing so, and enjoyed the challenge.

Thank you CMDR Psieonic for your extremely helpful and positive input!

The following contained in the Spoiler tag is old information for the old Captain's Log 1.x versions...

UPDATE : New version released : 1.3.2 ("Still Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall")

Changelog:

1.3.2 “Still Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall“

BUGFIX : Fixed the broken Scan All Netlogs and Import to Database function

1.3.1 “Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall”

– BUGFIX : Make sure Bookmarks window can be viewable when Captain’s Log is in Overlay mode.

– BUGFIX : Forget about making an AppConfigLocal.xml file, and just add the verbose logging option to the AppConfig.xml file instead. The whole function was complete rubbish and whoever coded it must have been high or drunk – or both – and they should never touch a keyboard ever again ;)

– BUGFIX : Revert the jump, planet tables etc. to use Helvetica and reduce the font size a little bit.

1.3.0 “Lacks Gravitas”
NEW FEATURE: Colour customisation!
RmzQd5f.png

xnXao4x.png

H4sRcEo.png

NEW FEATURE: Screenshot Detector/Converter/Renamer!
LYNVlMc.png

NEW FEATURE: AutoQueueing and Auto-Uploading to Imgur!
Mu2KUbj.png

NEW FEATURE: Added a global hotkey which either unfurls/rolls up Captain’s Log whilst in overlay mode, or it’ll bring the Captain’s Log window in front when not in overlay mode. The hotkey is hard coded to ALT-C

NEW FEATURE: Configuration Manager comprising of old Database Manager, new Screenshots Manager, new Imgur Manager, new Colour Manager, old System Bodies window, and a new Miscellaneous Options tab.

BUGFIX : Fixed a bug in the directories configuration whereby if ED’s logs directory was called “logs” instead of “Logs”, Cl wouldn’t configure the logs directory.

BUGFIX : The Single-click-to-clipboard System Name widget for the Bookmarks Manager is now visible and usable. (It existed, but its coordinates were set to somewhere off the Window area for some odd reason ;)

ENHANCEMENT: Captain’s Log now uses a plaintext INI file format to store its configuration. Exisitng old-format .CFG files will be converted to the new INI format and deleted once converted and saved. The new configuration file is called captainslog.INI

ENHANCEMENT/BUGFIX: Catch an error where CL can’t find the configured AppConfig.xml file and force the user to reconfigure CL. This usually indicates either a problem with the game files, or an update to the game has caused game files to be relocated.

ENHANCEMENT : Moved Bodies management into the Configuration Manager tab.

ENHANCEMENT: The Database Manager has been moved into the new Configuration Manager, and the layout has been changed to separate Database operations from other functions.

ENHANCEMENT: Checking for new versions now optional – can manually check if disabled – option saved in INI file.

ENHANCEMENT: jumps in the Jump Table which are bookmarked are now more obviously coloured

Features

• [*=left]Optional overlay-type style so single-monitor players of the game will find this more convenient.
    [*=left]Real-time monitoring of Elite: Dangerous' verbose netlogs in order to detect when you have jumped to a new system.
    [*=left]Enter stars and planetary body types per system name to keep track of what you discover.
    [*=left]Automatically examines and if needs be, edits the game's AppConfig.xml file to activate the required verbose logs.
    [*=left]Quickly record which star types and quantities are in a system. <-- You have to input this data yourself.

[*=left]Record the planet types you find in a system, and their designations. <-- You have to input this data yourself.

[*=left]Captain's log calculates an estimated worth of that system to Universal Cartographics based on the stars & bodies recorded.
    [*=left]System Notes : take notes specific to a system.
    [*=left]Jump Notes : take notes unique to each Jump.
    [*=left]Bookmarks : Bookmark a jump. Found an Earth-like world? Bookmark that jump! Found something unique in a system? Bookmark it!

• [*=left]Database Manager:

• [*=left]create multiple databases
      [*=left]quickly populate your new database by scanning all available netlogs and extracting the jump data from them, into the database.
      [*=left]extract all your notes from an EDDiscovery database and merge them in with any of the matching systems in your database.
      [*=left]Export data to CVS
      [*=left]NEW : re-create the default star/planet values database.
CLDBMAN.jpg

• [*=left]Bodies Manager:

• [*=left]a database of stars and planetary body types.
      [*=left]maintain/tune the estimated worth of a star or planetary body (i.e. how much a certain type of body might be worth to Universal Cartographics).
CLBM.jpg

• [*=left]Bookmark Manager:

• [*=left]see a list of all bookmarks.
      [*=left]highlight a certain bookmark and go to that jump in the Jump Table View.
      [*=left]remove a bookmark.
BOOKMAN001.jpg

Installation and Setup

Full installation instructions and a download link are on my site at : http://scarygliders.net/captains-log/
Manual/Documentation

I have added usage instructions on the Captain's Log homepage.

Last edited:
Looks good. Although after 53 days in the void eating purely pizza and Adnams Broadside the thought of a Captains Log doesnt even bear thinking about.....

Looks good. Although after 53 days in the void eating purely pizza and Adnams Broadside the thought of a Captains Log doesnt even bear thinking about.....

Captain's Log, Day 5: Narrow escape from annoying pirates by engaging defensive pattern HanSolo01 (ejecting empty pizza boxes and beer bottles). Result: Could hear "99 bottles of Adnams" on the open comm channel from the pirate ships.
Captain's Log, Day 25: Almosht hit a nootron star today. Must stop drinking pizza.
who am I? Day 50 something: "rocket maaaan! burnin' out this fuse up here alone...OH crap!" bZZZz pop.
OP, Very impressive App. I'll give it try and also look for EDDiscovery which I completely forgot about even though Dognosh clearly put it in the sticky.

Last edited:
Giving this a try, and looks good so far.

Only two things atm.

Is there any way to to toggle 'Date' order? I like most recent at the top of the scroll bar.
How (if I can) do I upload data to the ED Database?

Cheers for the app dude, much appreciated :)

Giving this a try, and looks good so far.

Only two things atm.

Is there any way to to toggle 'Date' order? I like most recent at the top of the scroll bar.
How (if I can) do I upload data to the ED Database?

Cheers for the app dude, much appreciated :)

There is currently no way to change the order - I tried it and it made the table go all Derpy - it needs a bit of Thought ;)

There will be no uploading of data to the ED Database or any other external site - sorry. It's just not a feature I'm interested in, otherwise I'd not have written CL and would still be using EDDiscovery :)

Regards.

Updated The Original Post

I've added in some screenshots of the other windows, and added in some helpfull info at the Documentation Section.

Regards.

Is it possible to include data from trips prior to installing the CL? Been to NGC 7822 a month ago and would like to have the data for references...

Is it possible to include data from trips prior to installing the CL? Been to NGC 7822 a month ago and would like to have the data for references...

I reckon unless you'd turned Verbose Logging on in the AppConfig.xml file it won't - both this prog and the rest of them (unless you maintain a manually added DB on your journey) look in the logdata folder in ED for their info, if VL is not on, ED doesn't add a log to the logdata folder.

@Genar-Hofoen : you said "Automatically examines and if needs be, edits the game's AppConfig.xml file to activate the required verbose logs. "
I know systems we visit are logged if logging is enabled(and I see your program does it automatically), where on our computer does our "systems visited" log live ?

If you had verbose logging on for that length of time, see the button marked "Scan all netlogs and import to database" in the database manager.

Rgds.

If you have had verbose logging enabled for that whole time, yes, Captain's Log can scan the logs and import pre-existing data from them. If you haven't had verbose logging enabled, afraid you're out of luck, as there's nothing to import. :)

P.S. - Thanks for the shout out GenarHofoen! :D

@Genar-Hofoen : you said "Automatically examines and if needs be, edits the game's AppConfig.xml file to activate the required verbose logs. "
I know systems we visit are logged if logging is enabled(and I see your program does it automatically), where on our computer does our "systems visited" log live ?

I'm not quite sure what you meant by that but I'll make an assumption :)

When verbose logging is enabled, the netlog*.log files in the Logs folder contain a certain "System: <blah>" entry in them, generated at or before the point at which you jump into a system.

Regards

I'm not quite sure what you meant by that but I'll make an assumption :)

When verbose logging is enabled, the netlog*.log files in the Logs folder contain a certain "System: <blah>" entry in them, generated at or before the point at which you jump into a system.

Regards

thanks :) I did see those files and notepad is having issues opening them as they are huge !!!
p.s. +1 rep for your software.

There is currently no way to change the order - I tried it and it made the table go all Derpy - it needs a bit of Thought ;)

There will be no uploading of data to the ED Database or any other external site - sorry. It's just not a feature I'm interested in, otherwise I'd not have written CL and would still be using EDDiscovery :)

Regards.

Ah no worries dude, just good to know.

One thing (I promise), I love the way you input stars in the app, is there any was to replicate that for the planets?

+1 for the app

Top Bottom