Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Hi
Do I need to create a new DB each time I start ED or should the prog just update the existing DB as I start each session in the game

The answer is no you don't need to create a new DB. 'Captains Log' will continue to update adding too your current DB until such time as you decide to create a new one and set is as active.

Captain's Log 2.1.8 beta 2 Released For Testing, Contains Bug Fixes & Enhancements

Download the beta from : https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv2shgrb5y11w45/Captain's Log 2_2.1.8 beta 2_setup.exe?dl=1

Report bugs to the CL2 Discord, invite link in my signature. Use #beta_bug_reports channel.

NOTE: The new standalone NAV overlay is still a Work In Progress. Be gentle with it ;) More work to it will be done for beta 3.

Regards o7

Changelogs

- BUGFIX : some logging messages were incorrectly formatted, causing the logger to produce an error message, which prevented some functions from carrying out their programming. This has now been fixed.
- added some more logging messages (making sure they're properly formatted)
- ENHANCEMENT : Added a copy of the Overlay NAV section as a separate standalone overlay widget.
- ENHANCEMENT : standalone NAV overlay is draggable - the position is saved to the configuration file.
- ENHANCEMENT : Added an option to enable or disable the standalone NAV overlay.
- ENHANCEMENT : standalone NAV overlay can be used even if not in overlay mode - this is handy for those users who have more than one monitor and want to have the CL2 main window displaying as normal on their other monitor.
- ENHANCEMENT : Added an option which makes auto-hiding the Main Big Overlay when docked, user-configurable.
- BUGFIX : legacy code from Captain's Log 1.x was continuously getting a whole DBInterface class whilst populating the Trip Databases table in Configuration - for each Trip database. This is insane behaviour and this has now been fixed. New behaviour is to obtain a DBInterface once, THEN loop through each Trip database in order to interrogate them for information to populate the Trip Databases table.
- ENHANCEMENT : altered the HotKeyWindows() class to enable adding more than one global hotkey. This will allow the addition of lots of new global hotkeys (these are application hotkeys which register even if the application does not have focus - like the original ALT-C global hotkey, for example)
- moved all the non-global, only-works-when-app-is-focused shortcut keys creation code together in the source, to make them easier to find later.
- added an ALT-N global hotkey for use in toggling the display of the standalone NAV overlay
- added the necessary code in order to have the standlone NAV overlay widgets display the same data as the Bearing/Big Main Overlay widgets
- added code to enable the display/hiding of the standalone NAV overlay. NOTE: this still needs more work before being feature-complete and this work will be done for the next beta release.
- Version bumped to 2.1.8 beta 2

The answer is no you don't need to create a new DB. 'Captains Log' will continue to update adding too your current DB until such time as you decide to create a new one and set is as active.

Thank you
I must be doing something wrong then because it doesn't
It will only record into a newly created database

Hi,

I get an Error message since lot of time with the old(at least half year old) Version2. looks like a pyton message. Version 1 runs pretty good.

Version 2 is running too on my system but than... ...

I have got the newest version of Captain's Log now... ... same problem. I show with a pic, what I get.

Please help, I have no idea...

CaptainsLog_Error.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi,

I get an Error message since lot of time with the old(at least half year old) Version2. looks like a pyton message. Version 1 runs pretty good.

Version 2 is running too on my system but than... ...

I have got the newest version of Captain's Log now... ... same problem. I show with a pic, what I get.

Please help, I have no idea...

[URL=http://www.imagenetz.de/f4521f...imagenetz.de/th4521f1f7/CaptainsLog_Error.JPG[/URL][/url]

"Unable to open database" == unable to open database.

So it looks like CL2 is unable to open (or create) a database.

Check permissions of your configured CL2 DB folder.

Alternatively, browse to %localappdata% , remove or rename the Captainslog2 folder, and run CL2 again, choosing the defaults for the First Time Run configuration - that should get CL2 up and running.

You're running a 4K or otherwise Hi-DPI screen, right?

Try bringing up the Windows Preferences menu for the CL2 exe file and going to the Compatibility tab - Override Hi-DPI Scaling Behaviour like so...

https://i.imgur.com/Yv6lEpf.png

It'll be one of those options of Application, System, or System (Enhanced) which might work to bring those pesky fonts back under control.

Think of CL2 as using 'legacy' toolkits for its production. One of these days I'll be able to switch over to something more modern.

Having the same issue font are too big.

On windows 7 and I usually just run the compatibility troubleshooter by right clicking the shortcut icon on the desktop to disable hi dpi setting and that usually does the trick or I just go disable via properties but it not working for me for this application for some reason font are still too big and cut off.

I am also having an issue where it crashes when I hit "QUIT" to close the program.

Last edited:
Hi.

I've faced this issue several times, with 2.1.8b2 and 2.1.7 (much worse there, in 2.1.8b2 things have improved). If i start E: D and while it's loading i start CL (or in general if i start CL after E: D), there's a good chance CL will freeze at some point, especially if i click in its window (overlay mode). This issue is new. It never occurred with E: D v2.x and CL 2.1.6.

Quick question....
When setting a destination for the 'distance to' overlay, does the 'search edsm' look to the live edsm or the local json or whatever it is?

Quite often the search fails to find anything for me (out on the edge of the Galaxy), but the systems are in Edsm because they're waypoints in the expedition (plus selecting them in EDD is no problem)

Maybe my question is moot and I should be asking if anyone else has search edsm issues for destination setting and/or what I can do to fix it.?

Edit..... Latest non beta version btw

How can I change the resolution of the window? I have two monitors, one 4k and the other is 1080p and the fonts and buttons seem to all be scrunch and not properly sized. I am thinking that adjusting the resolution or size of the window will fix it, but it doesn't seem to have a way to do that.

Please disregard my last question. I have figured out how to resolve the issue!
Looks like my particular setup required me to go to Captain's Log 2 Properties, select eh compatibility tab, and then check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: System (Enhanced)"

This has corrected the font and sizing issue for the most part!

In general, CL2.1.8b2 seems to be pretty sensitive. It freezes easily on my PC, either if i execute it after E: D, or when i close E: D before closing it (sometimes) or if i simply click on it while in overlay mode. After E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, most of the time i have to EndTask CL. Is there a beta 3 coming soon, hopefully solving these problems?

Been ill over the past month or so.

Hi guys.

I had some illness which affected my eyesight over the past month and a bit - hit around the time of the easter break - bummer. So I had to take a break from looking at a monitor screen - the double vision, light sensitivity, eye/head aches made sure of that ;)

Anyway - I'm hoping to get back to doing stuff Soon[tm]

Regards,

Genar.

Hi guys.

I had some illness which affected my eyesight over the past month and a bit - hit around the time of the easter break - bummer. So I had to take a break from looking at a monitor screen - the double vision, light sensitivity, eye/head aches made sure of that ;)

Anyway - I'm hoping to get back to doing stuff Soon[tm]

Regards,

Genar.

Oh noes..... I get that with migraines occasionally but it only lasts a day, at most 2. Can't imagine several weeks!

Wishing you a speedy recovery commander, take of yourself.

In general, CL2.1.8b2 seems to be pretty sensitive. It freezes easily on my PC, either if i execute it after E: D, or when i close E: D before closing it (sometimes) or if i simply click on it while in overlay mode. After E: D 3.0 and CL 2.1.7, most of the time i have to EndTask CL. Is there a beta 3 coming soon, hopefully solving these problems?

To be more specific on this, if i start CL and do not wait for it to finish loading all data from the database (2300 stars), but i start another application (so CL looses focus), it freezes and i have to EndTask. Also, almost 100% of the time, when i close E: D, CL's window is restored (from overlay). If i click inside it, it freezes. If i close it directly ("Close" button or X) it has a good chance of closing normally.

EDIT: Also, clicking the overlay window, many times it causes a freeze.

Last edited:
Hey. I apologize for the bad english. Problem. I use CL 2.1.7 When scanning a planet, if there is a mineral of yttrium, the CL does not display any data. Corrects only Switch to highlighted DB. CL 2.1.6 and Beta 1 and 2 have the same problem.

Top Bottom