Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

shameless bump. will we see an update after the new release Genar?
I'm thinking these updates require a lot of work from you.

shameless bump. will we see an update after the new release Genar?
I'm thinking these updates require a lot of work from you.

Totally depends on what's needed to be done - still waiting on any updated documentation from FDEV on e.g. journal changes and/or additions etc.

Captain's Log 2 2.1.8 Beta 3 Available For Download - Allows You To Play With ED Game Betas

As per title, this new version has a new configuration option to allow one to use CL2 with the ED Game Beta(s).

Click the Configure button, click on the Directory Locations Tab, and see the section Use Live Game or Beta Player Journals.

Once selected, if this was the first time, CL2 will copy your GALAXY and Trip DB's to a new folder which is named after your current DB folder but with _gamebeta appended. CL2 will then need show a Restart message and button, as a restart is mandatory for this operation. CL2 will not copy the EDSM database of star systems, if you have one, as those are getting pretty yuuuuge these days, so it'll skip over that one.

Once restarted into Game Beta mode, CL2 will only read the Beta Journal files, and will only write data residing in the <db folder>_gamebeta folder. This keeps your live game data safe, secure, and separate from 'pollution' from the game beta(s).

Reverting back to Live Game mode is as simple as clicking on the "Use the Live game Player Journals" checkbox - again, a restart will be required.

Once restarted back into Live game mode, CL2 will load the live game Trip DB you were last using.

See https://captainslog.scarygliders.ne...ing-now-has-option-to-work-with-ed-game-betas for the download link and Changelogs.

Regards o7

Yey! A new beta. Great news.

I hoped for a fix for the freezing issue that has become extremely irritating but...

I started it two times. The first it stayed in a working mode for more than half an hour, the second, it froze and crashed just a couple of seconds after loading the whole DB. :(

Yey! A new beta. Great news.

I hoped for a fix for the freezing issue that has become extremely irritating but...

I started it two times. The first it stayed in a working mode for more than half an hour, the second, it froze and crashed just a couple of seconds after loading the whole DB. :(

I'm currently working on a beta 4, hopefully with some of these frezzing bugs stomped on.

Regards o7

Captain's Log 2 2.1.8 Beta 4 Available For Download - Saves Logs to Text Files, and a Bugfix

- CL2 now saves its log messages to files.
- Standard/Info/Debug messages are saved to CL2.log
- Error messages are saved to CL2_err.log
- These files are created in a user's %TEMP% folder in Windows.
- Standard/Info messages are still sent to the in-app Logger tab.
- BUGFIX : tracked down and fixed the Trip Jump Bookmarking system. Basically, it works again!

See https://captainslog.scarygliders.ne...ownload-now-saves-logs-to-files-and-a-bugfix/ for download link and some more details.

Regards o7

Hi Genar.

How to contact you and send some log files if we encounter a bug? I'm facing the crashes-at-startup issue and i have some logs i've gathered.

Hi Genar.

How to contact you and send some log files if we encounter a bug? I'm facing the crashes-at-startup issue and i have some logs i've gathered.

Hi there.

My Discord server is your best bet. The link to it is in my signature and on the CL website. There is a bugreport channel there, and if I'm not around (which is quite often the case as I'm very busy with paying projects ;) ) then there are one or two other very good and useful folks there who do offer some help and advice.

Rgds o7

How to export old travel databases to CL? I am using 2.1.7 ver.

Hi o7

Do you mean you wish to import old journal files to CL? There's a facility for that.

Create a new blank trip DB, highlight it, and click the import button.

Note that that'll import every single jump and scan into that one trip DB, which could take a while to import and subsequently be unwieldy to load and use afterwards, so my advice would be to have a look through the Journal files and separate your trips into batches by moving out all other journal files except the ones representing date ranges you wish to import, then move those out, move another batch in, create a new trip DB and import those, rinse, repeat.

Otherwise if that sounds too much like hard work, just import 'em all in. At the very least it'll build up the central GALAXY.db which holds all the system data.

Perhaps one of these days I will set about adding more features to the Journal import facility, but time/effort/etc....

Hope that helps o7

Hi o7

Do you mean you wish to import old journal files to CL? There's a facility for that.

Create a new blank trip DB, highlight it, and click the import button.

Note that that'll import every single jump and scan into that one trip DB, which could take a while to import and subsequently be unwieldy to load and use afterwards, so my advice would be to have a look through the Journal files and separate your trips into batches by moving out all other journal files except the ones representing date ranges you wish to import, then move those out, move another batch in, create a new trip DB and import those, rinse, repeat.

Otherwise if that sounds too much like hard work, just import 'em all in. At the very least it'll build up the central GALAXY.db which holds all the system data.

Perhaps one of these days I will set about adding more features to the Journal import facility, but time/effort/etc....

Hope that helps o7

I meant, to insert into the new version of Captain's Log the databases of my travels that were created by Captain 'Log two years ago with the old versions.

And further...
I flew here a little today, but forgot to turn on Captain's Log. In EDSM, the log has loaded, but not in Captain's Log. Loaded only into a new project / database. How to combine them now?

Aaaaand, just saw the new notice on the github page. Very happy to see this indispensable tool is still being worked on.

Seriously, Captains Log is always running, and is my primary exploration system display. I do use ED Discovery for most other things, but as far as my main information panel, Captains Log is it!

Aaaaand, just saw the new notice on the github page. Very happy to see this indispensable tool is still being worked on.

Seriously, Captains Log is always running, and is my primary exploration system display. I do use ED Discovery for most other things, but as far as my main information panel, Captains Log is it!

Thank you :)

Development's been on a bit of a pause for the past year - I had a bit of a horrendous 2019, plus I was deeply immersed in a rather big paying project (still am, truth be told) - but I don't want CL2 to completely die off. Moving the toolkit to PySide2/Qt5 is the first step towards resuming work on it.

Fly safe, CMDR o7

Really nice app, I plan on using it a lot, I'm currently the Captain's Log 2.1.8 beta 5 however I am having an issue. Clicking on the Download EDSM Nightly Dump button has no effect. Nothing appears to download and there is no notification that anything is wrong. Any thoughts, suggestions

Really nice app, I plan on using it a lot, I'm currently the Captain's Log 2.1.8 beta 5 however I am having an issue. Clicking on the Download EDSM Nightly Dump button has no effect. Nothing appears to download and there is no notification that anything is wrong. Any thoughts, suggestions

Hi. Yes, EDSM changed how it releases its nightly dump. It's now a zipped file with a different URL. Since that's hardcoded within CL I'll eventually have to do some re-coding of the downloader/updater to take this into account. So for now, the nightly dump updater doesn't work. However, CL2 still keeps track of systems you've visited, so the search still works for places you've been to.

o7

Top Bottom