Extended Duration Exploration and Reinforcementent Modules?

Just getting my feet wet in exploration.Tagged my first ten plus systems in the last 24hours. This is more a large ship question, I don't think it's a consideration for ASP or smaller. I'm doing a shake down with my new out fitted exploration Anaconda. My current average jump ranges are 66+ly. (Max 69.9) . I'm currently running with 3 open internal slots. This thought isn't for the fast jump, honk, jump exploration. Its for deep space, greater then 25,000 lys and months without a station, not a 6 hour run to Colonia, the loadout for that would be less. In the past two days I've errored 2x and got dropped out of FSD, doing damage to hull and internals. I can fix everything with my 6A AFMU and 5A backup, but hull and power plant. The slow degradation of those two are my concern in sustanability. I'm considering placing Reinforcement modules, maybe 1Ds, one modular and one hull. With light wieght engineering the hull one I would only sacrifice 1/2 a ly in jump range. This would add 60% more life to those items and I can repair them with AFMUs. Was looking for some experenced feedback on this idea.

I took my Exploraconda out past Beagle Point sometime back and tagged several systems. This was before the update that placed you out of the danger zones of close binaries and the like.

I'd say rather than filling up space with more weight, just be more careful. Or you can bring along a Repair Limpet Controller and a cargo rack, and synthesize limpets from prospecting with your SRV or Mining Laser (you did bring those right?). This will repair your hull, but not the powerplant.

I got to the edge of the galaxy and back on one AFMU and a LOT of Neutron jumping, and never once dipped below 80% on my reactor. Exploration requires patience, not repairs.

I kind of agree, be more careful. That's what shake downs are for, not just to check the ship, but to check your process. Hopefully, you have learnt from your mistakes, and while you will still have errors, you will have a lot less.
Also consider that you are never more than a day away from a repair station. You can always pop in to colonia or one of the nebula stations for a quick patch up.

OTOH, 0.5 ly is nothing now that everyone has these stupid jump ranges that us old dwe pilots could only dream of.

I've got a 4G hanger, since I've had to suicide once, got hung up on wreckage farming raw material at the crashed Anaconda site. and will pack a medium mining laser. I haven't played with repair limpets since I solo play cause of connection, and I heard they can only be used on other ships. If that is not the case, then I will get one of them. Thanks for the reply, this is helpful.

I spent 18 months in a Corvette, it wasn't optimised for exploration, I just left the bubble one day & kept going.

About 10kLys out I had a bit of an incident, lost about 25% of the hull and an SRV (I was carrying two). I'm pretty confident that an exploration build wouldn't have survived, the ship had G5 Military armour & an A6 shield. About a year later I docked in Colonia & fitted a hull repair limpet controller, a worthwhile addition that adds minimal weight. I already had a pair of A4 AFMUs on board. The Power Plant can't be repaired without docking, the canopy can't be repaired after it breaks (cracks can be fixed of course).

So yes, it can help to armour up but it's better to just be careful as Kaleban says. I only lost another 1% hull for the rest of the journey, and my single remaining SRV was treated with utmost care ;)

This is partly why I love exploration so much, and partly why the proliferation of stations in nebulae across the galaxy has lessened the risk - and subsequently the joy - of exploration somewhat.
Being out for weeks or even months at a time, never crashing into a sun or, post-Horizons, always landing on a planetary surface under full control. Nowadays, you crash on a moon, lose 30% of your hull and then it's fixed a couple of hours later after a quick dash to the nearest nebula.
The absolute desolation and the need to concentrate to keep your ship alive was what exploration was all about.

You young whippersnappers don't know you're born. We used to explore in clogs you know

I've got a 4G hanger, since I've had to suicide once, got hung up on wreckage farming raw material at the crashed Anaconda site. and will pack a medium mining laser. I haven't played with repair limpets since I solo play cause of connection, and I heard they can only be used on other ships. If that is not the case, then I will get one of them. Thanks for the reply, this is helpful.

If your SRV gets stuck, log out to the menu, and log back in - this should get your SRV unstuck. If it is still stuck, log out of the game entirely, and log into the non-Horizons version of Elite. You'll get a message that you've logged out dangerously close to a planet, and upon logging in you'll be in your ship at a safe distance from the planet, with the SRV in the SRV bay. You can then log out again and log back into the Horizons version of Elite.

Bleh...

Exploration with a max JumpRange of 30 LY, without a route planner, no stations outside the bubble... yeah, good old times...

Game is dead, esaymode/casual... you know...

I'm considering placing Reinforcement modules, maybe 1Ds, one modular and one hull.

Modules can be repaired so MRM is likely redundant (it's not going to save your powerplant from damage due to a collision with a star, for example, anyway). You could carry HRM? But you can also just engineer lightweight hull as heavy duty instead then pick the deep plating hull boost experimental. There is no (weight) cost to do that and it'll give you a decent outcome due to Anaconda's already insane base armour. 945 --> 1124.

Lightweight doesn't make the stock hull lighter; and resistances it gives are only useful from a being shot at perspective, versus a hitting things perspective. Heavy Duty is a good plan as an explorer because it's essentially a free hull integrity boost (lightweight actually reduces your integrity).

If you have repair limpets, then you can repair the hull so it's general resilience ceases to be an issue and you go from 1124 integrity to essentially ∞ due to limpets being virtually endlessly synthesizable. A 1D repair limpet controller is half a ton; for way way more integrity than anything else can give you. I'd go for the repair limpet controller over HRM any day of the week, if you can fit it. Bonus? You can help a brother or sister explorer out if you happen to be in open/ neighbourhood.

Because if they are in anything other than Anaconda? they have insufficient module bays to even have that be a problem to solve. ;)

Just something to consider.

Last edited:
Knowing now I can repair my own hull with a repair limpet I've discarded the HRM thought and will add a 1D Repair limpet controller (already have 5E rack) Base hull is already engineered to heavy duty 5, just need to add the deep plating, thanks for that tib bit. With MRM, wouldn't it protect power plant from 60% off damage it would otherwise get. I idle normally at full scooping around 62-64 percent. Is that good? In free space about 19-23 percent. I need to get that 7A scoop, the 7B falls a little short of fulling recovering fuel usage from each jump and requires dropping speed slightly every so often when running the distance. (I'm would like to get my jumps down to 45 sec, currently I can do about 65 to 70 an hour. I do doze off in the wee morning hours sometimes and find myself slaming into star. But nornally I take damage from errors dropping me out of FSD or hitting planet surface to hard or without landing gear down. I don't expect to use large jump range often, but want to be able to make those distant jumps on the fringes.

Knowing now I can repair my own hull with a repair limpet I've discarded the HRM thought and will add a 1D Repair limpet controller (already have 5E rack) Base hull is already engineered to heavy duty 5, just need to add the deep plating, thanks for that tib bit. With MRM, wouldn't it protect power plant from 60% off damage it would otherwise get. I idle normally at full scooping around 62-64 percent. Is that good? In free space about 19-23 percent. I need to get that 7A scoop, the 7B falls a little short of fulling recovering fuel usage from each jump and requires dropping speed slightly every so often when running the distance. (I'm would like to get my jumps down to 45 sec, currently I can do about 65 to 70 an hour. I do doze off in the wee morning hours sometimes and find myself slaming into star. But nornally I take damage from errors dropping me out of FSD or hitting planet surface to hard or without landing gear down. I don't expect to use large jump range often, but want to be able to make those distant jumps on the fringes.

Unless you faceplant into the surface the occasional accidental drop out of supercruise shouldn't give you much trouble. Yes it's a bit annoying that not everything is 100% any more but each one only adds around half a percent on each thing.

Once modules go below 85% (not the hull of course) you'll start to see random failures. If you're neutron boosting remember to repair your FSD before it goes that low or you might start getting random drops, which of course will (slightly) damage more stuff.

You don't need 2x afmus any more, if your single one fails switch it off & on again, or reboot the ship (this consumes a few seconds of emergency life support - which can be topped off with synthesis).

Exploring is safer & easier than it used to be thanks to all these toys & synthesis. I explore in Open & carry a fuel limpet module as well as a hull one in my 64ly conda.

Ed made it to beagle point on DWE with something like 30% of his asp left. My trip to beagle point had me using no AFMU but I brought one with me. I did bang into a high G world and lost most of my hull once, though.

Most is not ALL. I made it back.

Top Bottom