F10/Alt F10 not working for screenshots

It may be a long shot (since it is happening to several commanders) but when I had this happen to me it turned out to be by Antivirus software...Bitdefender.
It was stopping ED from saving the pictures.
I had to grant permission for ED to do its thing.

Iv just taken a snapshot with GFE.

Alt Z opens/closes the overlay, however this doesn't work if I have Instant Replay left on from a previous session.

My screenshots are taken by ALT +F1 & stored in C:users/name/videos/elitedangerous folder. It works & Iv never had to re-bind any keys for this. My laptop is relatively new, running windows 10 & all up to date drivers

It may be a long shot (since it is happening to several commanders) but when I had this happen to me it turned out to be by Antivirus software...Bitdefender.
It was stopping ED from saving the pictures.
I had to grant permission for ED to do its thing.

Thanks for that, found the same for me. Clicked on Notifications > Critical in Bitdefender and under Application Access Blocked was the message "The application elitedangerous64.exe attempted to change a file in a protected folder and was blocked. Protected folder: c:\users\denis\pictures\frontier developments\elite dangerous Keep blocking the application if you do not recognize it or did not want to edit one of your protected files right now. Allow the application only if you trust the source it came from."
I clicked on Allow and F10 now works. Also now works with GF Experience re-installed so great for saving Last 5 Minutes as well. Certainly worth checking your antivirus software first.

I have personally solved this. I just uninstalled Nvidia Experience. Once that was done, I entered the game, and pressed F10 a few times. I checked the screenshot folder, and there were 7 screenshots. Please check if any of you have this installed. If so, uninstall it. If not, and it still doesn't work, check for any other overlays. If no overlays, and it STILL doesn't work, report as bug.

(keeping thread open)

There's at least two issues that can cause this:
1. virusscanner anti cryptolocker functionality. Just set it up so that Elite has access to your my pictures folder (as stated above. Bitdefender has this functionality)
2. Nvidia experience can cause this. What I did was: ingame --> Alt Z --> Cogwheel --> Keybindings --> remap the one that is now Alt-10 --> win

btw if you use ED: discovery's picture formatting option and have bitdefender running, you might find the same issue with a terrible error message. Just whitelist ED:Discovery in bit defenders cryptolocker part and it works fine.

edited: Nvidia experience is alt-z

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom