Community Event / Creation Fan Sites - Elite: Dangerous Webring (idea)

There's a few Elite: Dangerous fan sites starting to appear on the Internet as time draws closer to a release date. There's already some great fiction writers websites. The online ED community is growing, finally! :D

May I be so bold to suggest the idea of a webring? What do other people think? Would it be a feature supported by webmasters on their Elite: Dangerous websites?

Feedback please.

There's a few Elite: Dangerous fan sites starting to appear on the Internet as time draws closer to a release date. There's already some great fiction writers websites. The online ED community is growing, finally! :D

May I be so bold to suggest the idea of a webring? What do other people think? Would it be a feature supported by webmasters on their Elite: Dangerous websites?

Feedback please.

most (if not all) of the fan sites that have sprung up to date already link to each other so i cant see anyone objecting to the idea.

Elitestories.co.uk would certainly be interested.

Hummm...

Are there any sort of rules or guidelines that you had in mind? And will it be as discriminatory as personal preference?

I dont know about rules but one of the best idea's I've come across for web-ring's i not asking each site to keep an updated links page but instead having all sites link to a central index that contains all the information relevant to the other sites, done this way all each web-master has to do is add a ring link to the central index site.

this will mean things will only need updating in one place if another site is added or a current site expands its remit and will save a lot of duplicated effort.

if everyone is happy doing it this way i can host the index on ES and give access to a select group to update the page(s) as required, unfortunately i couldn't commit to updating it myself as i'd rather avoid letting anyone down but the space is available if needed.

Ahem...

I dont know about rules but one of the best idea's I've come across for web-ring's i not asking each site to keep an updated links page but instead having all sites link to a central index that contains all the information relevant to the other sites, done this way all each web-master has to do is add a ring link to the central index site.

this will mean things will only need updating in one place if another site is added or a current site expands its remit and will save a lot of duplicated effort.

if everyone is happy doing it this way i can host the index on ES and give access to a select group to update the page(s) as required, unfortunately i couldn't commit to updating it myself as i'd rather avoid letting anyone down but the space is available if needed.

Sooooo, what you're saying is...One ring to rule them all?

*cough* Sorry.

:eek:

Bet it has something to do with some scheme you are up to penthux.. im sure of.. well almost :D

Max, you know me well but this time it's me, 100% out-of-game-character, putting a genuine idea forward for discussion. The Elite Webring and FEU Webring did very well in the past and I'm interested to see if the support is out there for something similar in these modern times.

Are there any sort of rules or guidelines that you had in mind? And will it be as discriminatory as personal preference?

Hi Stab,

I was thinking of a small banner. Very small. Webmasters would put it somewhere on their site to show they were members of the "Elite: Dangerous Webring" or whichever name was chosen. The banner would represent E: D and be instantly recognisable and would have links on it for browsing to the other sites which are members of the webring. There could even be a plain text version, like in the old days when 56k dial-up internet was the standard.

To get the webring banner (or text) on your site it would just be a simple registration and then cutting and pasting some html code into your own page where you would like the thing displayed. That's the theory anyway. :)

<edit> The rules: we adhere to the directives and guidelines laid down by Frontier Dev's for media usage surrounding Elite: Dangerous. Other than that, from what I see, we're all mature and sensible enough to know what's acceptable and appropriate. :cool:

Last edited:
Flying the flag.

Hi Stab,

I was thinking of a small banner. Very small. Webmasters would put it somewhere on their site to show they were members of the "Elite: Dangerous Webring" or whichever name was chosen. The banner would represent E: D and be instantly recognisable and would have links on it for browsing to the other sites which are members of the webring. There could even be a plain text version, like in the old days when 56k dial-up internet was the standard.

To get the webring banner (or text) on your site it would just be a simple registration and then cutting and pasting some html code into your own page where you would like the thing displayed. That's the theory anyway. :)

I love theory. Game Theory mostly. I have a theory. "...what is it, that it is, this theory of mine. Well, this is what it is. My theory, that I have, that is to say, which is mine... is mine."

I can fly with this idea. Webring does have a bit of an oldie connotation though. And sounds rude to me, for some reason. :S

As long as you wouldn't mind being associated with some rather silly in-character spoof pages?

Ok Andy, you have some good ideas. What I'd design is something exactly to what you've suggested, a central index where all members of the webring are stored. This way it is easily managed and updated. Also, I'd either make it a request to join by contact form, or email, affair or allow them to submit a form directly to the database from which they will receive a response containing code to use on their own site(s). The problem with the latter is when those who love to troll start adding www.mybigman*****.com (etc.) to the webring. Which then needs work to delete the offending URLs. Maybe a request to join is best and then they can be approved or denied accordingly.

What I don't want to do is host the core of such a webring myself. The reason being, my involvement with the Federation means people see everything I say and do with an ulterior motive in mind. A webring of this nature would welcome anyone from anywhere with opinions and views favouring all factions and vocations in E: D. There should be no discrimination, only if the website they want to join the webring with is not suitable.

I can fly with this idea. Webring does have a bit of an oldie connotation though. And sounds rude to me, for some reason. :S

As long as you wouldn't mind being associated with some rather silly in-character spoof pages?

The webring should be for all those who have websites promoting, supporting or encouraging Elite: Dangerous. No matter which angle they approach it from. LOL :D

In character spoof? [LYING]I don't know what you mean. I've never done anything like that in my life![/LYING] haha

Last edited:
Aww, was I think only one who thought this thread was about a ring you could wear, cereal box / kinder surprise style? :D

/dry

...The webring should be for all those who have websites promoting, supporting or encouraging Elite: Dangerous. No matter which angle they approach it from. LOL :D

In character spoof? [LYING]I don't know what you mean. I've never done anything like that in my life![/LYING] haha

This is good to know. And I would expect nothing less than totally honest and forthright representation of the truth from respectable corporate citizens such as yourself.

Good corporate governance and a healthy galactic economy is the most effective way to ensure a continued supply of necessary goods and services, at an affordable price for the average Joe Trader to be encouraged to invest in some sweet, juicy cargo.

I was a big fan of the old elite webring. A simple idea that allowed you easily link through all the pages. We'd need a fancier graphic for it though. It is 2013 remember!

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
If at anypoint owners of fan sites or ones that forum members have found want to PM me or one of the other Mods, I'm sure we can create a stickied thread with a list of the fansites with links stc.. :D

The Federal Intelligence Service fully endorses this venture. Even though it surely has Imperial influences and connections, it´s in support of E: D and that´s what´s important.

Thank you, Lave Radio.

Last edited:
Love the FIS logo.

I'd like that as a badge and as a decal on my Cobra III (and no..... no one can shoot me down bar NPC's) :p

Love the FIS logo.

I'd like that as a badge and as a decal on my Cobra III (and no..... no one can shoot me down bar NPC's) :p

Thank you very much. Without wishing to ruffle any feathers or disrespect in the smallest way, the logo is what my idea of the Federation would have as an emblem for their security/intelligence services, based on the official designs for the faction ensigns. I don´t know what Frontier have planned for this, or if they have planned anything, but if they do have different emblems for organisations within the same faction then perhaps the FIS logo will change to suit. :eek:

Your name is familiar. Have you ever been in trouble with Federal authorities in the past, sir?

Just don't trust everything the federation tells you...

Commander Wagar! How agreeable it is to greet you, sir.

The FIS would like to ask you a few questions. Please make yourself available, at your convenience, and visit one of our offices in the near future. We have an interest in elite theory, which we believe you are heavily involved in.

In political science and sociology, elite theory is a theory of the state which seeks to describe and explain the power relationships in contemporary society. The theory posits that a small minority, consisting of members of the economic elite and policy-planning networks, holds the most power and that this power is independent of a state's democratic elections process. Through positions in corporations or on corporate boards, and influence over the policy-planning networks through financial support of foundations or positions with think tanks or policy-discussion groups, members of the "elite" are able to exert significant power over the policy decisions of corporations and governments.

This must all seem very familiar to you, commander. Come and have a friendly little chat with us, any time. :smilie:

Exaga

Top Bottom