FAS build for Thargoid Scouts

With the upcoming increase in Thargoid activity after Beta goes live let's start with an FAS to deal with these unfriendlies. Note that there are other FAS builds I've seen that also take out the interceptors (it took awhile) so maybe this is a good starting ship to play the Thargoid game.

Here's my initial FAS build so far.

Thermal is not looking too good but then the FAS is regarded as a tank even before the engineers showed up. One could play in a Conflict Zone with the hull down to 55% and all the modules would still be at 100%. To paraphrase a famous movie quote, "We don't need no stinkin' shields!". Of course this may change with the Thargoids. With engineering it is also fast, maneuverable, pretty decent on fuel consumption and enough jump range to get into harms way even with a heavy tank build.

This build is at the point where do I go with Guardian or standard modules. Standard allows installing weapons to play with non-Thargoid targets. I have other ships for that in PvE and PvP but other players may not have those resources where the FAS is their current combat ship. Listening to players like ObsidianAnt I also get the impression that Guardian modules as in HRPs and the weapons versus AX versions only go so far and G5 engineering on the standards a player does better. Of course that is his opinion. There are many.

Fuel Scoop, ADS and DC are just to get around for the build. Might as well make a few credits with the ADS. Upon arrival playing with the Thargoids I can add more dedicated modules. I have all three of the Guardian fighters (I'll build another ship for them), the FSD booster, 1 module and 1 weapon unused blueprints not sure what to do with them. Easy to get more. But I've never fired at a Thargoid. So theory per a build never ever equals actual experience. Having a basic well designed ship for dealing with the Thargoids tells me that when I die it is not the ship. For now I like my midnight paintjob.

I had to fly to a well lit station with palm trees for YOUR benefit to see how a midnight black paintjob looks. Knowing this you can show off your versions. :)

55763x1233.jpg

Regards to All

Last edited:
Hi, I moved from the Chief over to the FAS for AX-fight recently. If you want to go hunting scouts your outfit seems reasonable enough. Except you have two shutdown-field-neutralisers and no xeno-scanner. But I guess this was just a configuration error? You will need only ONE sutdown-field-neutrlaiser ever (and non if you go after scouts only) and you might really want a xeno-scanner for the beginning.

If you want to go for the Interceptor class, your build seems not optimal. For fighting Interceptors (Cyclops for the start), I'd recommend something like this:
https://s.orbis.zone/1130

You will need a flak launcher for the Thargon swarms, also engineering your hull reinforcement with heavy duty and deep plating is recommended. The gauss cannon might be your best friend, it really is the most potent weapon against Thargoids up to date. If you go with gauss cannon you will also need heat sinks. If you hate rail-guns you might also try the full frag approach with Guardian shard-cannon instead of the gauss.

Currently I am thinking to change to a stronger shield type. And I am just starting to get into the Thargoid combat ... so take my advice as one from beginner to beginner :D

Take care and watch your six.

Last edited:
If you want to synth ammo for your AX multis you'll need thargoid weapons parts which you can collect from the leftover bits of scout.

You only need a shutdown field neutraliser for the big ones. You don't need a xeno scanner but it'll tell you their remaining hull strength.

4 x AX multis will absolutely shred them in no time.

If you're getting battered, you can easily run away from the scouts, they aren't amazingly fast but are very manoeuvrable. The caustic missiles don't eat the hull very fast so there isn't a lot of danger provided you do a runner in time.

I have got guardian gauss which make a right mess of the scouts but they aren't necessary to kill them fast, they are fun though. They are delayed fire like rails so not that easy to hit the scouts with consistently (for me).

Never tried any of the guardian modules because of the 4 x experimental limit but have not even been close to getting killed even when poking the big ones to see what happened. I tried adding the guarding MRP and actually just got stuck in the menu with no buttons to get back so had to relog.

Shields are very handy, especially at the start of the higher threat levels.

Looks good in black!

[...]

Never tried any of the guardian modules because of the 4 x experimental limit but have not even been close to getting killed even when poking the big ones to see what happened. [...]

The 4x experimental limit only applies to those weapons:

*AX-Multicannon
*AX-Missile
*Guardian Gauss
*Guardian Shard
*Guardian Plasma

You can add as many of the other experimental stuff as you want. Also Guradian modules are not limitied in any way. The Guardian module reinforcement is a good thing to have. Since MRP's can't be engineered, the Guardian ones are the best you can have. They eat a littel power but you can have the effect of a MRP one class stronger then it's human tech equivalent.

edit:
For scout hunting, consider to get a decontamination limpet and a small cargo bay for the limpets in the two small outfitting slots. This helps to get rid of the corrosive goo after combat. Alternativly you can go silent running and get your heat up to 180 to burn the corrosive goo away.
If you fly cautiously and avoid the green death clouds and the corrosive missiles of the scouts you might manage to avoid corrosive damage at all. But better be preapred ; )

Last edited:
Hi, I moved from the Chief over to the FAS for AX-fight recently. If you want to go hunting scouts your outfit seems reasonable enough. Except you have two shutdown-field-neutralisers and no xeno-scanner. But I guess this was just a configuration error? You will need only ONE sutdown-field-neutrlaiser ever (and non if you go after scouts only) and you might really want a xeno-scanner for the beginning. If you want to go for the Interceptor class, your build seems not optimal. For fighting Interceptors (Cyclops for the start), I'd recommend something like this: https://s.orbis.zone/1130 You will need a flak launcher for the Thargon swarms, also engineering your hull reinforcement with heavy duty and deep plating is recommended. The gauss cannon might be your best friend, it really is the most potent weapon against Thargoids up to date. If you go with gauss cannon you will also need heat sinks. If you hate rail-guns you might also try the full frag approach with Guardian shard-cannon instead of the gauss. Currently I am thinking to change to a stronger shield type. And I am just starting to get into the Thargoid combat ... so take my advice as one from beginner to beginner :D Take care and watch your six.

Thanks for your great info. Yes, I corrected the build per two neutralizers. Interesting after some players understanding the Thragoid game they think a Xeno Scanner is a waste knowing what to look for. They may be right but I'm not there. A flak launcher per the swarms seems good but many boost in, take their shot then boost away ignoring the swarm. We'll see how that works out especially in an FAS with limited modules.

So far I figured out Guardian weapons are:

Gauss are rail guns good for taking out hearts
Plasma are particle accelerators more powerful who also like hearts
Shards are frag cannons taking out shields

I love fixed PAs, rail guns and frag cannons in non-Thargoid combat. I'm pretty good with them. Whether or not with these talents work with Thargoids we'll see. If a Scout ship moves as fast as a Viper or Vulture or even an engineered Sidewindar I may have problems.

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome :)

It's really different if you want to go scout hunting in those systems marked for Thargoid attack in the bubble by Eagle Eye. In the bubble in NHSS 3-6 you will find instances full of Scouts with no Interceptors present most of the time.

If you are hunting in the Pleiades you will have much more Interceptors then in the bubble.

I have not seen that your primary goal was Scout hunting first hand, so I really mixed things up a bit.

You know that you can hurt Scouts with regular weapons too? And also you will discover (if you not already know) there are different type of Scouts (WIKI). Especially watch out for the Regenerator ones. This is where the Xeno-Scanner comes in handy too. The scanner will register the different types of Scouts and the remaining health. But you can also visually discern the Scout types, if you know what your are looking for.

edit:
about the Guardian weapons you are right, except the Shard Cannon also can deal heart damage. The only downside is it's spread, making it a bit less effective against small targets like hearts or Scouts. But still delivering good damage and not a bad choice. Also the Shard Cannon is the most effective of the Guardian weapons against human targets.

edit edit:
also check out Factabulous' fabolous guide on fighting scouts:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/459187-Scouting-for-Beginners-Thargoid-Scout-combat

Last edited:
The 4x experimental limit only applies to those weapons:

*AX-Multicannon
*AX-Missile
*Guardian Gauss
*Guardian Shard
*Guardian Plasma

You can add as many of the other experimental stuff as you want. Also Guradian modules are not limitied in any way. The Guardian module reinforcement is a good thing to have. Since MRP's can't be engineered, the Guardian ones are the best you can have. They eat a littel power but you can have the effect of a MRP one class stronger then it's human tech equivalent.

edit:
For scout hunting, consider to get a decontamination limpet and a small cargo bay for the limpets in the two small outfitting slots. This helps to get rid of the corrosive goo after combat. Alternativly you can go silent running and get your heat up to 180 to burn the corrosive goo away.
If you fly cautiously and avoid the green death clouds and the corrosive missiles of the scouts you might manage to avoid corrosive damage at all. But better be preapred ; )

OK, thank you. I found a bug which needs reporting then because the same thing happened twice, no way of adding the MRP with 2 x AX MC and 2 x gauss already fitted. Like I said the menu just locked up with no way of going back or exiting from it.

If you want to synth ammo for your AX multis you'll need thargoid weapons parts which you can collect from the leftover bits of scout...

Thanks for your info. Are these materials or will I need cargo space? The answer seems obviously cargo but want to check.

Last edited:
I notice you have a decontamination limpet controller. Don't those need cargo space for limpets?
I have been successfully using a FAS for fighting Thargoids. However mine is a hull tank designed to whack the hearts on the interceptor as quickly as possible while tanking incoming fire. Works well for cyclopes, not tested against anything bigger yet. I think it might work okay for Basilisks but the Medusa might be a bit much for it unless I switch to zoom & boom tactics and equip a flak launcher.

The Guardian Module Reinforcement seemed a good idea but it doesn't seem to work at all. It's supposed to help stop the module reboot side effects from the thargoid lightning gun. I bought one, and now I want my money and materials back.

I notice you have a decontamination limpet controller. Don't those need cargo space for limpets?
I have been successfully using a FAS for fighting Thargoids. However mine is a hull tank designed to whack the hearts on the interceptor as quickly as possible while tanking incoming fire. Works well for cyclopes, not tested against anything bigger yet. I think it might work okay for Basilisks but the Medusa might be a bit much for it unless I switch to zoom & boom tactics and equip a flak launcher.

The Guardian Module Reinforcement seemed a good idea but it doesn't seem to work at all. It's supposed to help stop the module reboot side effects from the thargoid lightning gun. I bought one, and now I want my money and materials back.

Thanks. Yes the decontamination limpet controller needs cargo space for the limpets. I'm doing build/engineering versus combat so haven't added a cargo rack yet.

Just activated show damaged/repairing starports in the Galaxy map. Oh boy! These Thargoids have been busy since I last checked. Won't have to fly far in the bubble to find them. Per JAWS I'm gonna need a bigger boat! :)

Guardian modules would be my preference over regular if you have access to them and perhaps drop two ax for Guardian shard cannon for more fun :) - FGS will make a better scout killer though of the dropship family as you can take fighter along as well.
Crusader and FGS both make good anti scout builds with fighters and, for me anyway - Cobra IV with 2 ax mc, 2 Gaurdian shard cannon and one regular mc with corrsive are the most fun "one on one" with the scouts.

Top Bottom