General FC - Anaconda

Just to point out you want to install something that is a third of the length, half the width and height that has a mass of 260 tonnes into an Anaconda that has a mass of 400 tonnes and still have the Anaconda do things.
Remember the SRV's & Fighter bays, mining kit, etc.
The Anaconda will not be jumping 80Ly, or anything close, when full of all of this essential kit.

(It sounds as if they actually want a smaller FC to carry all of their tat)

Isn't everything in Star Citizen easy?
Its in alpha. Albeit over 10 years in alpha, its not a full release.
I was referring to the fact that SC has ships within ships. The carrack, the m2,c2 so on so forth. And the ships within come and go without incident. Problems occur through human error. As there isn't an auto docking module.
Doable.

Its in alpha. Albeit over 10 years in alpha, its not a full release.
I was referring to the fact that SC has ships within ships. The carrack, the m2,c2 so on so forth. And the ships within come and go without incident. Problems occur through human error. As there isn't an auto docking module.
Doable.

That's funny, I land and take off fine without an autodocking module, in fact the time I have most problems is when I use it with my Type 9 and it smacks me into the station wall, if you are going to sit there and claim all the docking problems with ship in ship in SC are simply due to not having an autodock module, well I have news for you, people have been landing and taking off without docking modules in ED for a loooooong time, if they can't get that right in SC that says a lot more towards the difficulties involved in making this feature work than the skill of the pilots in SC, many who have been playing for years!

Whoa calm down tiger. I too never use a docking thingy. And yes docking in SC is as easy as the pilot is skilled. I'm just saying most of the "incidents" are human error

I'm just saying most of the "incidents" are human error
I agree...
Let's see:
  • Died getting out of bed
  • Died pressing the button on the lift
  • Died trying to ride the lift
  • Died riding the subway
  • Died boarding my ship
  • Died trying to take off
All in the same session... Certainly human error - trying to play the eternal alpha was human error!

With the massive amount of 'pledges' the alpha has had, it should be so polished it would blind you looking at it... (and released years ago)

Oh I agree. On foot fps whatever u wanna call it, its sodding frustrating. Stay away from this don't go there don't do that, another workaround etc. Its why I walked away.
Makes me wonder where the 600+ million dollars has gone?

Without enabling multiple ships, it could still be treated as a single ship: the moment the pilot moves to the other ship, the game would treat it as a normal swap of ships in a shipyard.
The other ship would simply disappear (in the hangar if it's the little one) or be dismissed after an animation (if it's the large one). I don't think it would be possible to keep the large ship around, like when piloting a SLF.

One obstacle would be the change in the code that doesn't let a CMDR swap ships when there is cargo and the capacities of the ships are different.
Also the database that keeps track of stored ships. Currently it looks like a back-end thing and the only places where you can swap ships are static assets in the sense of existing at a set coordinate that doesn't vary, though in the case of Fleet Carriers can move from one static coordinate to another with other added limitations. I don't know how inconsequential that is to the matter, but I'd say it's definitely a consideration. Now one could suggest that the limbo like state of a ship in transfer could be used to effectively set your stored sidewinder as 'in transit' until called upon whereupon it would arrive at the coordinates, but still you would have two ships that are flying concurrently that would require piloting, or would it be satisfactory for the anaconda to become static until you dock your sidewinder into it, and the process of loading a sidewinder be similar to that of loading an SRV into the ship hangar in outfitting? Also, what happens if the Anaconda is being attacked? Or the question why can't a physical mutlicrew member pilot the sidewinder while I pilot the Anaconda in a battle? The limitations start to encroach too much on what I'd imagine people would want and expect from such a feature.

I would go for this if there were another version of the fighter hanger. The current hanger is for fighters and the more fighters you want the bigger the hanger you need. So, there is room for the idea of a different kind of hanger that houses a larger ship with an FSD that can go into super cruise, but not necessarily into hyperspace.

It would have to fit through the entrance/exit to the hangar, of course, so there is a limitation there. Suppose there is a technology that allows for a type of FSD which is smaller and has less mass than a normal FSD but cannot go into hyperspace. This new FSD could be quite a bit faster and more flexible when operating near planet surfaces. Perhaps it can have a lower DRP altitude and a shorter glide so that hopping around a planet is quite a bit faster. Suppose it can have some improvements to how it operates in gravity wells, allowing it to handle better, and accelerate and decelerate more quickly.

I like the idea of it being customizable and modular. When it comes to modularity, a lot really depends on how much it can contain. It might be better to just have multiple types of specialized ships available. I don't know what could make sense. A ship that is great for exobiologists, perhaps. Another that is good for scavengers. Another for the infiltration role. As for straight exploration, perhaps there could be a ship that is great for getting around a system.

It wouldn't be as flexible as a DBX, but I honestly don't think they would ever do that. I think that is a nice pipe dream. I don't know if this suggestion would solve the OPs desires though.

You would need to have a redesign of all ships, since they are just not able (physically) to hold a DPX inside.
DBX as it is, is already to big. It's even tight to fit a fighter in it, well ok, you could say, there is a 2 bay option, but still, the hatch is not big enough to get a DBX in or out.

This was discussed so much times and I'm sure, that this feature will never come.

By the way, it is not a limitation by the engine but by ship design.
Also as mentioned, the coding is already done in ED, since you already can use fighter and land vehicles. So you can leave your ship on planet surface, load the SRV and you are free to go. Same mechanic as the desired feature, but the "mother" ships are just not designed to have a child the sice of a DBX or even Sidewinder.

I think what would work best overall would be to have a flying SRV that can land but does not have FSD at all. These would behave like the SRV and allow you to dismiss your ship and just fly and do your thing planet side. It might be a good fit for the Falcon, in fact it could also keep it's interplanetary FSD as the dismissed mothership in theory is in supercruise anyway and could easily track your ship in supercruise if one were to decide to check out multiple moons or something. It could also recall the mothership while in normal space too, which could be useful for specialized purposes like mining etc..

[The Falcon jumps out of hyperspace into a dense field of rocks and debris.]
Han Solo: What the—?
Luke Skywalker: What's going on?
Han Solo: Our position is correct, except, no Alderaan.
Luke Skywalker: What do you mean? Where is it?
Han Solo: Thats what I'm trying to tell you, kid. It ain't there. It's been totally blown away.
Luke Skywalker: What!? How?
Ben Kenobi: [grimly] Destroyed. By the Empire.
Han Solo: The entire star fleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a thousand ships with more fire power than I've— there's another ship coming in!
Luke Skywalker: Maybe they know what happened.
[A TIE fighter flies over the ****pit]
Ben Kenobi: It's an Imperial fighter.
Luke Skywalker: It followed us!
Ben Kenobi: No, it's a short-range fighter.
Han Solo: There aren't any bases around here. Where did it come from?
Luke Skywalker: It sure is leaving in a big hurry. If they identify us, we're in big trouble.
Han Solo: Not if I can help it. Chewie, jam its transmissions.
Ben Kenobi: It'd be as well to let it go. It's too far out of range.
Han Solo: Not for long.
Ben Kenobi: A fighter that size couldn't get this deep into space on its own.
Luke Skywalker: He must have gotten lost, been part of a convoy or something.
Han Solo: Well, he ain't going to be around long enough to tell anyone about us.
Luke Skywalker: Look at him. He's headed for that small moon.
Han Solo: I think I can get him before he gets there. He's almost in range.
Ben Kenobi: [with sudden realization] That's no moon. It's a space station.
Han Solo: It's too big to be a space station.
Luke Skywalker: I have a very bad feeling about this.
Ben Kenobi: Turn the ship around.
Han Solo: Yeah. I think you're right...

[The Falcon jumps out of hyperspace into a dense field of rocks and debris.]
Han Solo: What the—?
Luke Skywalker: What's going on?
Han Solo: Our position is correct, except, no Alderaan.
Luke Skywalker: What do you mean? Where is it?
Han Solo: Thats what I'm trying to tell you, kid. It ain't there. It's been totally blown away.
Luke Skywalker: What!? How?
Ben Kenobi: [grimly] Destroyed. By the Empire.
Han Solo: The entire star fleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a thousand ships with more fire power than I've— there's another ship coming in!
Luke Skywalker: Maybe they know what happened.
[A TIE fighter flies over the ****pit]
Ben Kenobi: It's an Imperial fighter.
Luke Skywalker: It followed us!
Ben Kenobi: No, it's a short-range fighter.
Han Solo: There aren't any bases around here. Where did it come from?
Luke Skywalker: It sure is leaving in a big hurry. If they identify us, we're in big trouble.
Han Solo: Not if I can help it. Chewie, jam its transmissions.
Ben Kenobi: It'd be as well to let it go. It's too far out of range.
Han Solo: Not for long.
Ben Kenobi: A fighter that size couldn't get this deep into space on its own.
Luke Skywalker: He must have gotten lost, been part of a convoy or something.
Han Solo: Well, he ain't going to be around long enough to tell anyone about us.
Luke Skywalker: Look at him. He's headed for that small moon.
Han Solo: I think I can get him before he gets there. He's almost in range.
Ben Kenobi: [with sudden realization] That's no moon. It's a space station.
Han Solo: It's too big to be a space station.
Luke Skywalker: I have a very bad feeling about this.
Ben Kenobi: Turn the ship around.
Han Solo: Yeah. I think you're right...
Nice! Though I was referring to the Falcon in Frontier:

Falcon.gif

:cool:(y)

Top Bottom