FC jump times still long ?

It seems to me that having disconnected Legacy and Live that database processing ought to have gotten faster.. But just conjecture as I don't know if they are disconnected or actually run on the same servers, just separated in some other way.

Tick processing has also gotten way slower..

IIRC the slowdown coincided with Frontier taking actions against hacking of the game. Maybe they save or process a lot more records seeking evidence of hacking.

Keeping track of and managing the Legacy carriers still costs resources, and resources are finite - at the moment probably more than ever. The split didn't magically free up additional resources for Live carrier management, probably even the opposite. Nobody knows how frontier balances those resources between the galaxies, but the Legacy carriers aren't simply "gone". The sum total of carriers probably even shot up with the split. My guess is that Frontier is dancing a fragile balancing dance of resource management between the two galaxies.

I assume that being different games ( neither affects the other) with different BGS and different resources, galaxies and that since the split Legacy carriers aren't shown on live and vice a versa. Also since the split consoles ability to use 3 rd party apps has decreased significantly as those apps have limited resources to run for both games .
But point taken Fdev won't lettuce know how it's being managed.
So it comes down to our own individual opinions

I had assumed ( rightly or wrongly )we had more active FC when the game was one game ( Console,PC) as I'm not sure there was a huge jump of "new players" when EDO dropped .
I didn’t get my FC until some time after Odyssey dropped but before the Live Legacy split.

Not everyone playing at the time was rich enough to afford an FC immediately.

The original jump timer in the Alpha for FC's was 2 hours, it's almost as if FDEV knew if they made it to short they wouldn't be able to guarantee consistent timing, and hence they would have a lot of complaints.
This is one reason I consider carrier jump times to be a non-issue. Carriers are a large operation and a luxury. Using them to avoid jumping 6 or 8 times in a ship is fine, but it shouldn't generate complaints when it's not as fast. I have to admit I jump my carrier to systems a couple hundred LY away to engineer personal items and for ship engineering, because it's easier for me and I can carry a thousand more materials on the carrier. Today the jumps are 40m +. I am ok with that since I am just going to a system to set up operations for a week or so.

I didn’t get my FC until some time after Odyssey dropped but before the Live Legacy split.

Not everyone playing at the time was rich enough to afford an FC immediately.
So my point still stands? before the split of live/ legacy there was probably more active FC than after the split and the jump times then wasn't an issue ?
Admittedly it can only be educated guess as we will never really know the correct numbers because Fdev won't release those numbers.

So my point still stands? before the split of live/ legacy there was probably more active FC than after the split and the jump times then wasn't an issue ?
Admittedly it can only be educated guess as we will never really know the correct numbers because Fdev won't release those numbers.
I don’t think so. I think that there are more active FCs now and jump times have always bean an issue when there has been a lot of FC traffic.

I do agree that the only people who actually know anything factual about this are FDev.

Say there is, for the sake of an exple, a total of 10 server instances doing the FC related database management. Before Live/Legacy split they were all available to all players, no matter what version they played. Now if after the split we might have, say, 2 or 3 servers dedicated to Legacy and 8 or 7 servers to Live it means that effectively we have less servers to serve the needs of players which logically would result in higher server loads. IIRC Fdev has said that 15 minutes of carrier jump time is as short as it can possibly be, already pushing the limits. I personally treat 15 minutes as "best case scenario" and am happy with any jump that is half an hour or less.

I'd also guess that with the gold rush of spire sites and the return of lucrative invasions with their station CZ-s there has been an uptick in carrier ownership among the Live players, plus the latest news has caused players returning to the game and dusting off their upkeep-reserves-for-two-decades carriers again.

Say there is, for the sake of an exple, a total of 10 server instances doing the FC related database management. Before Live/Legacy split they were all available to all players, no matter what version they played. Now if after the split we might have, say, 2 or 3 servers dedicated to Legacy and 8 or 7 servers to Live it means that effectively we have less servers to serve the needs of players which logically would result in higher server loads. IIRC Fdev has said that 15 minutes of carrier jump time is as short as it can possibly be, already pushing the limits. I personally treat 15 minutes as "best case scenario" and am happy with any jump that is half an hour or less.

I'd also guess that with the gold rush of spire sites and the return of lucrative invasions with their station CZ-s there has been an uptick in carrier ownership among the Live players, plus the latest news has caused players returning to the game and dusting off their upkeep-reserves-for-two-decades carriers again.
Two decades... slackers

"You should not have a carrier because you use it wrong and make my jumps take longer". If only someone had warned us about jump times in high traffic times...

It is always so cute when people instruct Frontier how to run their game or tell other players how they are playing it wrong.

I thought common agreement was that credits were meaningless anyway; despite that, players seem to like collecting them.
Kinda crowded with carriers up at Beagle Point with my own, but we manage.

Getting long jump timers as I'm trying to get a spot near the Titan (which is important if you want to use the short range SCO drive without using up all your fuel on the jump/hyperdiction/jump).

On the first attempt (30min after servers were supposedly up which is when it left me in after repeated failed login attempts) it bounced me to the barycentre (11Kls from arrival) after a normal jump time. I didn't notice that and the primary stars around the 5 closest suitable systems are already filled up and the 35min carrier jump time to the next one means I'm likely to get bounced again because even as I see 6 carriers on the system map there's at least 4-5 incoming that I can see with likely more on the way that I have no way of knowing about.

What a weird game.

Getting long jump timers as I'm trying to get a spot near the Titan (which is important if you want to use the short range SCO drive without using up all your fuel on the jump/hyperdiction/jump).

On the first attempt (30min after servers were supposedly up which is when it left me in after repeated failed login attempts) it bounced me to the barycentre (11Kls from arrival) after a normal jump time. I didn't notice that and the primary stars around the 5 closest suitable systems are already filled up and the 35min carrier jump time to the next one means I'm likely to get bounced again because even as I see 6 carriers on the system map there's at least 4-5 incoming that I can see with likely more on the way that I have no way of knowing about.

What a weird game.
Perhaps you could park further away and stage your ships through a carrier in a more advantageous location?

Top Bottom