FD - Are Meta-Alloys bugged?

I will land on more planets and have a look, the Anaconda isn't exactly fun to fly on the surface on planets though, as you can't see much, but as I'm 35K Ly out, I will let you know if I come across this Meta-Alloy thing.

Kind of odd how an alien object would have 'Alloy' in the name though. You would think that if no-one has seen it, it would be called like, 'unknown construct'

Even so, if someone gets one for a mission, are they really going to hand them in? Or are they tied to the UA's? For all we know, people have already found them and handed them in for missions, as they don't use the forums and don't know the whole UA thing.

I know that when I first read about the UA in-game, I thought it was just some PR backstory, I didn't realise that there was this whole UA story being told, Frontier needs to communicate it better, make it a community goal or something.

/conspire

The 'release' of the MetaAlloy just happened to occur on a 'refresh' Thursday along with CG/PP update BGS.

I am sorry

I can confirm that meta-alloys can be found in the released version of the game.

Michael

I can confirm that they were found, I got one in my hold since day 1 of the first barnacle finding. Can't switch ship now, but fortunately it's in the good old Python allarounder, so I can life with that until we know what to do with them.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Might be answered but can you find meta alloys without the mission for them?

Yes. (8 chars)

Not the alloys are bugged, but the spawning of the persistent barnacle sites is bugged, as everyone who has been there found out already.

The OP was posted before we knew how to find them.

I think it's pretty clear that OP was trying to get confirmation that they are findable and that players are not wasting their time.

While "waste of time" is debatable it's now clear that it's common for them NOT to appear due to one of more bugs.

So in hindsight the answer to OP's question would have been "Yes they are bugged and this can prevent you finding them".

Last edited:
The OP was posted before we knew how to find them.

I think it's pretty clear that OP was trying to get confirmation that they are findable and that players are not wasting their time.

While "waste of time" is debatable it's now clear that it's common for them NOT to appear due to one of more bugs.

So in hindsight the answer to OP's question would have been "Yes they are bugged and this can prevent you finding them".
Not within the context of the OP's question, which was are they bugged to the point they're not spawning for anyone at all. At that point it's clearly no.

I can also confirm the Meta-Alloys do exist, I have recovered one of them myself.

After being unable to see the Barnacle site in Solo or Group, I switched to Open. There was the Barnacle. Some others in SRVs on the scene were shooting the tall spires that surround the Barnacle, and usually, many tiny green pod would fall, which when collected were various materials exactly as found in Outcrops.

But one much larger green pod fell, and when targeted was called a "Mining Fragment". Once scooped with the SRV, it became a Meta-Alloy in the cargo hold.

Observing those tall spires, there appear to be many smaller, immature "buds" growing on them, and only rarely a larger "mature" Meta-Alloy. I was unable to determine if these appeared over time on the spires, as during my time there in the SRV, all the spires were shot and completely destroyed by other players, leaving only splinters on the ground. I never did see any spires re-grow. Not even sure if they can, or if they'd need to be recreated in a new instance.

Anyway, after reading that Meta-Alloys were helping with Obsidian Orbital's technical issues, I sold mine there to assist.

And as to rarity of the Barnacle sites, I still have yet to independently discover one after many hours of searching what seem to be suitable planets, before and after the first discovery. I must admit, much of that play was in Solo mode, and perhaps, therefore, in vain. Still searching, though, as I'd like to discover one myself.

Top Bottom