Ships FDL and Krait MKII question

I have around 105 mil saved. I have a 5a FSD engineered to lvl4. I have 3C MC's to lvl3. So not very far into the Engineering upgrades. I like combat and from what I read some things I need will have to be looted from dead ships. I like having ships dedicated to specific roles, like a mining ship (my AspX) and Cargo ship (Type6). So I'm looking for a ship for combat and high/haz res sites. At the same time I'll need to be looting stuff, scanning ships, and possibly use this ship also for planet mining.

Between these two ships, which will be best for my needs but at the same time spending a lot of time working with Engineers. Side note, I had been using my AspX for traveling to Engineers as it has 40ly jump range. Then I would summon my other this there to do the grunt work of gathering needed mats or whatever.

Side question, how much does having a SLF affect combat? Are they a pain to use? or noticeably beneficial? I have read that the SLF gives the Krait MKII a good asset, but I wasn't sure how much a of pain in the ass they were to manage.

Thanks all.

It depends on how you equip your Krait MkII

If you go for something that has lasers or multicannons, these take a while to do much damage to large ships but are fine for dealing with smaller agile ships. In this instance, the SLFs aren't worth the effort because they require time to relaunch when they inevitably get destroyed and you need to keep moving to avoid damage and maximise your time on targets.

If you equip your Krait for maximum damage to other medium and large ships, you can waste a lot of ammunition going after smaller fighters. The SLF is pretty useful then because it occupies enemy fighters while you go after the main target. This also reduces the attrition from multiple enemies.

If you mine, a couple of turrets and an SLF can deal with most threats in a high res but probably aren't enough to keep you mining in a haz res.

My tactic generally us to go after the large ships of a wing, then the smallers ones if they're still alive. I didn't think about trying to fit a ship to fight smaller or larger ships. How do the builds differ? I'm pretty new to combat. While I've done some bounty hunting, I normally would jsut throw guns on it and go out to kill. I never thought tactically. Now that i'm investing a more expensive ship, I'm am trying to think a little more about what i"m doing lol.

EDIT and UPDATED THOUGHT

After sitting here thinking with all the exploring and gathering I still need to get done, I think I'll go with the krait MK2. It seems to just make more sense with the higher jump range and cargo space + combat abilities. Once I get to the place where I do want a completely dedicated combat ship, I'll get an FDL.

Last edited:
The Krait is great for your needs. It has one the best potential dps of the medium ships, with three large hardpoints and the slf does equivalent damage to a fourth large hardpoint. It also can be made into a seriously good pirate ship (nearly the same configuration as a combat scavenger ship), if you want to improve your credit score.

I used this build at the combat CG in the recent II it performed rather well even though it was configured for long range cargo/scavenging at the time , it does have a lot of engineering and Guardian modules so results may vary ;)

One thing about the Krait is it's fantastic boost efficiency (pointed out by another Commander BTW) it can boost continuously on one pip making it better at combat than the paper specs would suggest

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/kra...CmBDA5gG2SEBGCQkKEoA=&bn=Krait Mk II II build

Krait2 is multipurpose and more flexible to do many things at once. But combat wise is not as effective as an FDL.
The FDL will kill everything in a Hazrez, depending on how you kit it, you can have a buggy for planet prospect, and a class 1 limpet controller with maybe 8 tones of cargo. Assuming you go Shield build since it has native strong shields and 6 utility mounts.

Against NPCs though both ships will work well as long that what its between the Hotas and the seat knows what its doing.

Against NPCs though both ships will work well as long that what its between the Hotas and the seat knows what its doing.

great advice. I'm planning to really venture out with this ship. Other than traveling to the two engineers I've unlocked so far, I have really stuck to one area. I need to see what the galaxy is about.

Between these two ships, which will be best for my needs but at the same time spending a lot of time working with Engineers. Side note, I had been using my AspX for traveling to Engineers as it has 40ly jump range. Then I would summon my other this there to do the grunt work of gathering needed mats or whatever.

The Krait MkII is a much more convenient multi-purpose vessel than the FDL.

Side question, how much does having a SLF affect combat? Are they a pain to use? or noticeably beneficial?

Both.

A higher rank NPC and being well practiced in issuing the right orders at the right time and the SLF can be a great asset. However, lower rank NPCs are dumb as bricks and they all need a fair degree of micromanagement to leverage.

Top Bottom