PvP FDL and why it needs serious attention.

We need laser point defense from C&C Generals Zero Hour

Just out of morbid curiosity, could you post your FDL build?
You can see it in Inara, it's not that bad I guess. Bit weak on the shields, but I don't get why it shouldn't work with a c5 pp. (hacking the numbers g3 overcharged should be more then enough...

edit: ninja'd

You can see it in Inara, it's not that bad I guess. Bit weak on the shields, but I don't get why it shouldn't work with a c5 pp. (hacking the numbers g3 overcharged should be more then enough...
Since I don't run any MRP, I quite like the armored plant there. Would not be possible with a C5. Armored is the best of both worlds between overcharged and low emissions, since it does a little bit of both, increase power and reduce heat.

Since I don't run any MRP, I quite like the armored plant there. Would not be possible with a C5. Armored is the best of both worlds between overcharged and low emissions, since it does a little bit of both, increase power and reduce heat.
You don't need a MRP in PvE but in PvP you get into serious problems when your shields fail, and they will fail, because they are quite weak.
But I guess you'll get some better advice by Rinzler soon :LOL:

edit: or ryan 😂

It's just a regular laser/mc/biweave PvE build: https://s.orbis.zone/37s2

• 4A sensors
  • 4A life support
  • 5A+4A SCB's
  • 5x boosters
  • 4x gimballed beams

The ship and powerplant size aren't the issue here. It's your outfitting choices. You don't even have corrosive on your multicannon to buff your lasers.

Here's a version of your build that's not only better, but also runs on a class 5 armored plant: https://s.orbis.zone/37sl
  • 4D sensors (less mass with 8.82 typical emission range)
  • 4D life support (you're a shield tank so you don't need to worry about your canopy)
  • 2x 4A SCB's (biweave regen increases with the shield size so always go 5A's for PvE)
  • 3x boosters and 2x chaff (chaff will keep you alive longer under CZ focus than extra boosters would)
  • 4x fixed efficient pulses (much nicer on your distro and much better sustained DPS vs beams. Switch for rapid fire if you want max DPS)

The ship and powerplant size aren't the issue here. It's your outfitting choices. You don't even have corrosive on your multicannon to buff your lasers.
Oops, as a matter of fact I have corrosive on it, had it wrong in Coriolis. The autoloader is on the Mamba, which I actually prefer in CZ these days, for the cascade rails.

Bi-weave FDL doesn't need SCBs, especially against NPCs.

As noted, you virtually always want your biggest optional to have the bi-weave gen for the regeneration advantage.

I'll do ya one better. PvP fit FDL with an armored C4 plant. 1100 mj shields, 2100 armor, boosts 583. I flew this in wing fights and it was very effective.

I like to be able to run away, so I take the class 5 armored PP that can power thrusters and an FSD through the inevitable malfunctions of nine rail guns tickling it on the way out.

C&C Generals Zero Hour

MechWarrior 2 Ghost Bear's Legacy.

You don't need a MRP in PvE

PvE can turn into PvP at any moment!

Last edited:

ryan_m

Banned
I like to be able to run away, so I take the class 5 armored PP that can power thrusters and an FSD through the inevitable malfunctions of nine rail guns tickling it on the way out.

That thing moves so quick, it doesn't matter against most people. By the time they figure out you're bailing you're usually out of weapons range. Only time I died in it was when I ate a 0-pip shadow ram and I wasn't in position to bug out quick enough.

Ah another fight about the FDL. How its so OP and its SO BROKEN. Sure quite frankly 3400mjs is quite nuts for a MED ship. But with engineering MJ stacking is a thing.. so how did they counter that? They made the weapons stronger...now it takes so much time to kill a FDL now then fights years ago. They would be a intense 10 mins but now they are 30 mins of 2 FDL pilots doing the same tactics. taking pot shots at one another....

Now...Do I think the FDL itself needs a nerf? No...The reason why these ships are soo good is because CMDRS train to be good in them..these ships take TONS of skill to fly correctly. (granted KBAM is EZ mode but I digress) What needs to be nerfed is this insane power creep that is Shielding....Ever fight a 7K cutter? No? Lets say I hope your in for the long haul....and lots of syth you will be there a while...The FDL is not the problem..its the Shields...They need to be toned down a bit..Maybe bring them on par with HULL. HULL or Armor is balanced with plenty of weapons to exploit it everything from scramble that messes with your modules to corrosive that can make it weaker..The only thing Shields have is Feedback that cancels banks and Torpedos or Mines to kill the generator out right.. Mind you these are EASY to dodge in the FDL. Well now your thinking...well go thermal weapons that counters shields..NOPE Resists now basically make that a moot point..

So I think they Either need to
A: Lower Shields to a more "stable" level
B: Give us a counter weapon or affect that weakens shields resistance for a while or is a direct counter to stacking...(yes i know the feedback rail is one for banks but its not going to help you drop those bad bois)

Granted I am no expert this is just one CMDRs opinions so take that into consideration aswell there are excellent FDL pilots in this very chat..so this should get interesting!

EDIT: PLAN B is VERY easy to exploit...so lets hope if they did they would go for plan A :D

Last edited:

Falter

Banned
Ah another fight about the FDL. How its so OP and its SO BROKEN. Sure quite frankly 3400mjs is quite nuts for a MED ship. But with engineering MJ stacking is a thing.. so how did they counter that? They made the weapons stronger...now it takes so much time to kill a FDL now then fights years ago. They would be a intense 10 mins but now they are 30 mins of 2 FDL pilots doing the same tactics. taking pot shots at one another....

Now...Do I think the FDL itself needs a nerf? No...The reason why these ships are soo good is because CMDRS train to be good in them..these ships take TONS of skill to fly correctly. (granted KBAM is EZ mode but I digress) What needs to be nerfed is this insane power creep that is Shielding....Ever fight a 7K cutter? No? Lets say I hope your in for the long haul....and lots of syth you will be there a while...The FDL is not the problem..its the Shields...They need to be toned down a bit..Maybe bring them on par with HULL. HULL or Armor is balanced with plenty of weapons to exploit it everything from scramble that messes with your modules to corrosive that can make it weaker..The only thing Shields have is Feedback that cancels banks and Torpedos or Mines to kill the generator out right.. Mind you these are EASY to dodge in the FDL. Well now your thinking...well go thermal weapons that counters shields..NOPE Resists now basically make that a moot point..

So I think they Either need to
A: Lower Shields to a more "stable" level
B: Give us a counter weapon or affect that weakens shields resistance for a while or is a direct counter to stacking...(yes i know the feedback rail is one for banks but its not going to help you drop those bad bois)

Granted I am no expert this is just one CMDRs opinions so take that into consideration aswell there are excellent FDL pilots in this very chat..so this should get interesting!

I wholeheartedly agree. It takes far more skill to be good in something that relies on it's armor and lack of shielding than something that can just power creep it's shield and flee at a moments notice.
(I'm commenting here solely based on the fact that there are FDL pilots in this chat, and I'm keen to see what drivel will be spouted in regards to the reality of how bad the FDL actually is.)
Especially without her shield power creep that has been drastically, and forcefully pushed in the community at large by certain....well, let's say "pilots with no skill whatsoever."
That's neutral enough and they know who they are either way.

So, I guess I must say I agree with you only in so far as that the FDL itself doesn't need to be nerfed, but rather shields and stacking need a serious change to encourage players to not just rely on this lower form of ... well, put bluntly - lack of skill.
What I'm trying to say is, the FDL itself and training to be "good in it" sounds a bit like a bad joke rather than something I agree with in any fashion.

But, let's all be honest with ourselves.
A shield nerf wherein shield stacking is drastically limited will never happen. Heck, the whole reason it will never happen is because of the forced, shield, power creep.
I still remember what it was like before the huge shield power creep.

Where, PVP fights would last about 5 minutes and it showed who was the good pilot and who was the lesser since the lesser pilot would usually do everything in his power to delay the inevitable in his FDL. Some good PVP hub fights (RIP: PVP Hub, you were destroyed by those who created you.) I had were really great examples of this point exactly.

Top Bottom