Featured Commanders Featured Commanders: Anthony Hunt

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hello Commanders, and welcome to the sixth Featured Commanders thread of 2019! We’re speaking to the incredibly talented CMDR Arithon / Anthony Hunt, the CMDR behind the ED Vehicle Codex!

image.png

How and when did you find out about Elite Dangerous, Commander?
I first found out about Elite Dangerous during the Kickstarter, when I read an article online.

And what got you hooked on the game?
The freedom and community it brings.

How long have you been creating content around Elite Dangerous?
In late 2013 during the Kickstarter, I found that there was a fan site which was no longer supported by the creator. I thought if nobody else was going to run a fan site, I should do it.

We’re glad you did! What’s your favourite piece of content you’ve created around Elite Dangerous?
The Vehicle Codex is my favourite piece of content I’ve created. It's a new website I've programmed from scratch, which is the culmination of three years work on blueprints and ship charts.

And, if you could give one piece of advice to every Commander, what would it be?
Don't play the game repetitively. If you done some combat, take a trade mission. If you've been trading, go exploring. Drive down an insanely steep valley in an SRV at max speed. Buy an Imperial Eagle, fit it with a race engine and go flying down some canyons. Set a ship up for mining, put on your favourite tunes and refine some void opals. There is so much to do, so mix it up.

Are there any other content creators you’d like to give a shout out to?
I’d like to shout out all the great community Commanders, past and present, who've helped with translations on my blueprints and kept the project moving forward!

Where can people find you online?
Check out my website here: www.elite-dangerous-blog.co.uk
Twitter: @ACHunt

Thank you Anthony, we're excited to see how your Vehicle Codex comes along!

If you’d like to be interviewed as a Featured Commander, apply here.

Great stuff mate.

I`ve know Arithon for quite a long time now... probs, 12+ years, since the early days of playing Wow.
Times have changed(i am still playing WoW, Horde side now) but the great work this madman produces still amazes me.
I remember talking to him in the early days of ED, and he badgering me to "just buy it Ran!". This was during his Ambassador phase of the game, so i thought, yea he is getting something for this- Nope!
But i did my research, watched a lot of vids and sunk in deep for the LTEP, which was the most i`d ever spend on a game...
I feel that this phase of the game seemed under utilised by FD, but then the company(as we know it now) was still young and social media was not high on their list. Where as today, you need to out there man!

I`ll always remember one my fist steps into combat, there was a CG event on and i`d never really done combat(i had been playing about 2 days then) when Arithon, Albert and cmdr oldgit dragged me into the madness in my Adder.
A few hours later, after making it across the huge vast space of the bubble(lol, i know!) but it was scary and i didn't have much in the way of cash, so it was a big risk...
Into the fray we went, with Albert leading the charge in his immense Anaconda. "Just tag it ran, we`ll do the rest.." yea, dont tag everything...
After a few hours of doing this, handing in bounties, i got an A rated viper 3..

I was instantly hooked with its "high shield value" and overall combat performance of the Viper.
So we as a gaming group (Deadmen walking) set the galaxy on fire! Ever seen how much firepower 3 dropships and a Vulture can produce, it was bloody fantastic to see the laser show, and just when things could not get any better... a huge capital ship warped in, the size of it, and the noise... O M F G!
I swear this was the scariest thing i`ve ever encountered in playing games in my life, the lights in the room went dim, the void opened, and space itself groaned... then it appeared! The Majestic class capital ship- OMFG, a huge amazing, scary and a bloody kill stealing beast!(FD fixed the kill steal, and also a auto kill turret exploit)
Go watch this and turn up the sound...enjoy
[video=youtube;fbYMxSLgnN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbYMxSLgnN8[/video]

Fast forward a few years down the line, several dead x52 pros and a new Wharthog set, and we are still at it, playing a lot of Elite, both in the bubble and out in Colonia. Hooning about in my Krait for combat in Colonia or down in the bubble as a... errr... LTD merchant... yes, yes, some may call it piracy, but, it feeds the kids, and i dont "usually" kill the ships... unless they insult me.. Come to think of it, they do this a lot.. hmm, yea.. #free engineer mats.

But i can see me still playing this for several years... Let us all hope that Arithon is still producing epic stuff like the ship blue prints and the new ship codex(244it is in production) which looks very nice!

So keep the awesome work Arithon

Ran

Last edited:
Well deserved plug for Cmdr Arithon here ... his ship blueprints have been a standout showcase of community created content for as long as I can remember and the new website is an absolutely glorious piece of work. Bravo sir and thank you!

I found 2 bugs while reading : http://codex.elite-dangerous-blog.co.uk/assets/ships/type-9-heavy/bottom.png and and http://codex.elite-dangerous-blog.co.uk/assets/ships/mamba/bottom.png seem to be missing

and a "coquille" (often a consequence of "kappa dormi" or "no sleep so slip") on French description of Majestic Class Interdictor being stationed at "ports navaux" instead of "ports navals".

But it's an amazing job. I surely will keep this site as reference.

Thanks for your good work.

Thanks for letting me know. There are over 800 linked images in the Codex as well as 116 blueprint bitmaps per language, so I've bound to have missed something. The translations are all carried out by the community - an excellent bunch who volunteer their time and services to help me bring the blueprint project and now the codex to a much wider audience. I will sort out the T9 & Mamba's bottoms asap. :)

Top Bottom