Featured Creator: Ben'Hamin

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Every month we put four amazing Planet Coaster creators in the spotlight; each Featured Creator will have one week dedicated to them, their amazing Workshop, and other wonderful contributions to our community. This month we are talking to Hexer0, Ben’Hamin, R3dDragon, and Games4Tom, who can also be found on the Planet Coaster globe!

Let’s meet:
Ben’Hamin

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Benman77/myworkshopfiles/
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCExDtuVCT_3urM-pc9WNpDg

Finally we get to hear more about you! Tell us how you got started with Planet Coaster.
I played many theme park simulation games when I was younger, mainly Rollercoaster Tycoon 1. Since then I had been on the lookout for a game where the possibilities were endless, and then all of a sudden I heard about Planet Coaster, in which you could design everything yourself right down to the small details. I was instantly amazed by what you could actually build and what other people were creating!

What inspires you?
I heavily favour the fantasy theme; a lot of my creations are centred around medieval theming. I take a lot of inspiration from history (which I love) as well as TV shows and movies based on the genre, such as Braveheart, Game of Thrones, etc... My most recent creation - The Heist In The West was also inspired by many different shows and films on TV, such as the Magnificent 7, Westworld, Django Unchained. So I would say I draw most of my inspiration from film, TV, and history.

Tell us how you go about creating things in Planet Coaster.
First and most importantly I HAVE to have some sort of entertainment in the background, whether that is music, YouTube, or a TV show; I get a huge creative block if I don't. When building a big park, I build the coaster first and spend a few days working on the layout. I will spend hours working on a single inversion to make sure it's perfect and looks and feels good on a ride through. After that I start to work on a basic outline of terrain, I sculpt it around the coaster and make sure every section of the coaster flows nicely with the terrain. Then comes the longest part, adding scenery and detailing the terrain, this part can take me from 3 weeks to 2/3 months, but when you see the final outcome it's all worth it in the end.

What makes you and your creations stand out?
I mostly make big park coasters at over 4000m+ with big emphasis on terrain; they are usually very high speed and take advantage of the momentum to carry over big inversions and airtime hills. I have also done a few blueprint coasters, but what I am mostly known for is for my ability to sculpt the terrain. I have sculpted a lot of dragons, both for my own and other people’s creations. I also did a Chief Beef sculpture for the Channel 5 Gaming birthday park, a giant devil, and a demon head sculpture for one of my rides 'Land’s End'.

I guess that brings me to your favourite in-game feature...
Definitely the terrain tool! Planet Coaster has by far the best terrain tools in any sandbox game I have ever played. You are able to create any kind of landscape you want and now with the custom biomes, it's even more incredible what people do with it. Like I mentioned it's also great for doing terrain sculptures and you are able to add tiny details to make the final outcome of the sculpture awesome.

What’s your favourite creations you’ve ever created (so far)?
My most recent (at the time of this interview), 'The Heist In The West'. This was a collaboration with my good bud Wikz and took about 3 months, approximately 300 hours to build. It's a high speed wooden/steel hybrid coaster (my favourite type of coaster) and it focuses on a western bank robbery where you are the chased through the canyons by cowboys trying to claim a bounty on your head.

Link to Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1129491561

How do you feel about being part of the Planet Coaster community?
It's the best community I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of; everybody is so kind and supportive and there will always be someone to give advice and make your creations better. If I had any advice for new players is to listen to feedback from more experienced players and incorporate their advice in future. We all start somewhere and it's by listening to community feedback that we get better. I wouldn't be in the position I am now if it wasn't for the community.

Tell us a bit about yourself!
I'm 20 and I live in Hertfordshire (just north of London) in the UK. I'm currently studying music production and sound engineering. Other than video games, music is my life; I spend a lot of time going to events and festivals to listen to new music and learning from the best.

Pass on the Praise:
I have to give some big shoutouts to my buds Wikz and Kombat Wombat, who have always motivated and inspired me since day 1. But also GalcianBTH, his creations are absolutely mind-blowing. I remember seeing his 'Westworld - Delores' hybrid coaster and that was the creation that inspired me to start building these types of coasters, as well as his amazing terrain that he uses with them. I have certainly learned a lot from him!

Finally, if you could be a Planet Coaster mascot, which one would you be?
Definitely Tiki, I love the way he dances!
:tikichiki::logo:

Top Bottom