Featured Creator: Games4Tom

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Every month we put four amazing Planet Coaster creators in the spotlight; each Featured Creator will have one week dedicated to them, their amazing Workshop, and other wonderful contributions to our community. This month we are talking to Hexer0, Ben’Hamin, R3dDragon, and Games4Tom, who can also be found on the Planet Coaster globe!

Lastly this month, we've got SPOOKY MASTER:
Games4Tom

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Games4Tom/myworkshopfiles/

Games4Tom, the Master of Spooky! Tell us how you got started with Planet Coaster.
I have been playing theme park simulations for a very long time now... and when I first heard about Planet Coaster, I was very curious. I found out that it is Frontier who developed the game, and I got really excited. I normally don't play Early Access or Alpha/Beta games, but I couldn't resist. So I started the game on the very first day of Alpha and couldn't stop playing. I was really hooked and spent hundreds of hours already in Alpha. The new aspect for me was creating. I haven't been creating a lot on other games, and really needed to learn a lot during Alpha. But this was such an amazing time for me, and I am very thankful that I was able to be part of the game from the beginning.

What makes you (and your creations) stand out?
I have to admit that I'm a perfectionist in some ways, so when I start creating something I want to have it as perfect as possible for myself. I try to create complete sets like using all shop types. My spooky collection is the biggest WIP for the moment, but still far away from complete for me. I would like to have several types of every shop for example, but all in a similar style so that they can be used together. As you might know, I started with some pirate themed blueprints, did a lot Sci-fi blueprints, but spooky is still my favourite theme. I try to put a lot of detail to all my blueprints and the smaller items like light skins or bench skins came to my mind to get my parks completely themed in a similar way.

What is your favourite feature in the game?
Actually creating is my favourite feature of the game as it's the most important part for me. If I think of the gameplay and items we have, my favourite features are the FX (including fireworks) and the triggered events. Planet Coaster has such endless possibilities of creating shops, coasters, rides, the whole terrain, but the FX add a lot of life to everything. It just makes it feel more complete, and seeing the emotions of the park guests walking by those FX makes me smile a lot of times!

What is your favourite creation/video you’ve ever created (so far)?
That is a difficult question to answer for me. I had a lot of fun with the Go-Kart tracks I made, and all spooky blueprints have been fun to do as well. But most of the times I'm happy with the result but would not say they are outstanding. The blueprint I am most happy with is my Sci-fi Coaster "Blast Off" with the space shuttle launch station. I think this blueprint is the only one that came out exactly as I wanted, and I still love it.

How do you feel about being part of the Planet Coaster community?
Happy and thankful all of the time. I have never been part of such an amazing community where there is sooooooooooo much love and support for each other. This community is so great, and having such a lot of talented and wonderful people in there is much more I could have ever imagined.
I am really lucky to have found some wonderful friends in the planet coaster community from all over the world – not only online but as well in real life. I would have never thought that this is possible, but Planet Coaster and the whole team of Frontier made this possible.
I would like to take the chance to thank especially Bo and Ed for your amazing work you do and how you keep in contact with the community! I'm always happy to watch the livestreams when I can, but you do much more for us like joining us at the Efteling meeting. And as I had the chance to meet some more Frontier members at the launch event, I know that the whole team of Frontier is so close to the community which is outstanding nowadays. Thank you!

Tell us a little about yourself, what you study/work/do in real life.
I'm 37, living in Switzerland and work as a project manager in the office furniture industry... so not that creative! I like creating in many ways, and apart from Planet Coaster painting is another passion I have. I love going to concerts and watch movies in the cinema. Meeting with friends and chatting with them is something I really do love.

If you were to dress up as a Planet Coaster mascot, which one would it be?
King Ghoster!!

What inspires you?
I get inspired by nearly everything... it's everywhere you look, you find wonderful and beautiful things that you see. I really take a lot inspiration from just having a walk. Or watching movies is something that inspires me as well a lot of times.
I as well like checking out the workshop and see what other people do. It's an amazing place to find ideas, and sometimes it's just to find out the way somebody did her/his blueprint, that make me think of something completely different I want to create then.

Tell us a little about your creative process – how long do your creations take, do you listen to music or work for hours and hours until something is perfect?
Oh, this is difficult to answer, I have never really thought about it. I'd say it just happens when I have an idea, and then find the time to start playing. I often have the TV running and let some music channels play classics for example. Or, and that happens as well a lot, I'm just playing and listening to the wonderful Planet Coaster soundtrack - honestly a masterpiece on its own, and I'm always happy when listening to it.
Most of the times I really work for a lot of hours on a blueprint - sure some of the bigger ones took weeks. But it is a process of trial and error and I sometimes destroyed all I built because it was just not what I wanted. I as well had times, where inspiration was not flowing, then I most of the times just try to do small things like bench skins or path lamps or little shop skins just to get back into the flow.

Pass on the praise: which creator do YOU admire?
I love that question, honestly! I could write pages about all the wonderful Featured Creators out there, and I like all of them for their own unique way of creating. I want to name a few nevertheless: my all-time favourite is Whitesider for his unique artistic approach. His work is super inspiring and I really like his out of the box thinking he's showing us again and again. Besides his creations he is a wonderful positive person and very down to earth.
As well, I really like Tillietwos for those incredible shining creations with sooooooooo many beautiful and well-thought details and the little funny parts that appear in the blueprints. As she is such a lovely and amazing person and I'm am really happy to have met her.
As well PixelWess89 is amazing, I often wished I could do such an amazing storytelling with a blueprint!
And I want to name Thim_V as well here for being an amazing creator, who inspired me a lot with his work. He's a lovely person and so helpful!
Another very talented and amazing creator for me is Woody! His way working with art shapes and creating those beautiful blueprints is outstanding.
As a last sentence, I want to say that a lot wonderful creators are out there that I haven't named but keep on the amazing work, you're all inspiring me and so many others. Thank you!

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Congrats on being a featured creator Tom :D

It's well deserved as you made some awesome creations! Im looking forward to see some spooky stuff from you especially now that you have acces to the amazing Spooky Pack :D

Thank you very much Vampire! I really appreciate your kind words!
Yes, I'm working hard on new blueprints, more coming those days ;-)

Thank you very much woman :) I really appreciate your kind words all the time! Happy you like my work, and thanks for the feedback!

Love your interview Tom, and I am very thankful for your kind words to me, means a lot! Love your work from the beginning! Thank you so so much, and enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyy your special week!!!!! Congrats my friend!!!

Nice to read a little bit about you in your interview. I love all your creations right from the very beginning. Thank you so much for mentioning me in your interview. I'm very humbled by your words. :)

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Congratulations Tom! Nice interview. I look forward to more of your incredible spooky creations! [big grin]

Congrats buddy.
This interview really shows what a totally lovely guy you are. You always have good things to say and you have a generous heart. I'm really proud to know you and call you a friend.
So keep up the good work and keep creating [big grin][up]

Nice to see you on the featured creator list when i open Planet Coaster.
It was an honor to meet you and share a beer and a seatbelt with one of the nicest guys of the community ;).

Cheers,

Top Bottom