Featured Creator: R3dDragon

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Every month we put four amazing Planet Coaster creators in the spotlight; each Featured Creator will have one week dedicated to them, their amazing Workshop, and other wonderful contributions to our community. This month we are talking to Hexer0, Ben’Hamin, R3dDragon, and Games4Tom, who can also be found on the Planet Coaster globe!

Let’s say hello to:
R3dDragon

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198009096230/myworkshopfiles/?appid=493340
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/r3ddragons
Schedule: Everyday 10am-1pm PDT (US-West)

Nice to have you here! Tell us how you got started with Planet Coaster.
Funnily enough, I had never actually played a game like this before. My son bought it for me for Christmas thinking I would enjoy it and I’ve been hooked since. This is the most fun I’ve ever had on any game.

What makes you (and your creations) stand out?
Everybody has their own style as an artist and I’ve created my own unique way of building that people seem to love. The piece count can be a bit high on some of my creations but I go for realism over everything. If I had to pick one thing that has stuck I would say I’m definitely known as the vehicle master but really I just love and appreciate good art.

What is your favourite feature in the game?
Really just the fact that you can build anything. If you’re willing to put down the pieces (or your computer can handle it), you can do and build anything with this game. Every build is like not even playing the same game every time because each build can be so unique.

What is your favourite creation/video you’ve ever created (so far)?
My story ride that I created recently – The Wish. I put a lot of time into building all of the characters and coming up with the story and managed to convince my sons to help me with the audio track. We all started getting into it and having so much fun, it ended up being an amazing build and had a blast doing it.

How do you feel about being part of the Planet Coaster community?
I love it. I love the creators I’ve met; the people in the community are awesome. It feels like a fun family-oriented game all around. I’ve made a lot of good friends playing this game between Discord communities, YouTube channels, and Twitch streamers. It’s just a lot of people like me that just enjoy art and support each other. Just an awesome place to be.

Tell us a little about yourself, what you study/work/do in real life.
I’m retired so I just try and enjoy myself as much as I can now. Planet Coaster has become a big part of my life in a way. I’ve always loved art and worked in Automotive Repair realigning and straightening heavy collision for over 30 years. Physically I’m not able to do that anymore, so Planet Coaster gives me a way to express my art and creativity. Might be the reason for why I love making vehicles.

If you were to dress up as a Planet Coaster mascot, which one would it be?
I love Sci-Fi too much so I’d probably pick the Cosmic Cow. Cows are cute and I love Ice Cream.

What inspires you?
Movies, pictures, creations from other creators. I love watching Disney movies and watching them with the grandkids every chance I get for an excuse.

Tell us a little about your creative process – how long do your creations take, do you listen to music or work for hours and hours until something is perfect?
I usually research pictures and things like that for good reliable references first to things I’m looking to build. Even if it’s not exactly the same, just so it gives me a place to start. Depending on what I’m building, it can take from 2-3 hours or as much as 30 hours for one blueprint. I feel like nothing is ever perfect so I work until I find a point that I’m satisfied and move on to something else. Honestly I usually just listen to the in-game music.

Pass on the praise: which creator do YOU admire?
A lot of the legendary creators like Silvarret, Uthris, Whitesider, Xtraordinar, Woody… honestly there’s too many to mention, especially not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings. I’ve found inspiration from a lot of different people for the unique art that each person brings to the table. Makbar made me really want to start getting into making characters. Whitesider just isn’t human, he has to be an alien from another planet. Xtraordinar and Pixelated set the standards for story coasters in a lot of ways and made me want to push myself on my story ride. I still have a lot of learning to do and have creations that I’m fearful to begin because of self doubt; but I think all creators go through that to a degree. The only thing you can do is jump in and start building.

Great interview my friend!!! and nice to know more about you. Thank you so much for mentioning me, and... yes, I am human!!!!! lol. Enjoy your special week!!!

Top Bottom