Federal Corvette...okay I get it now

I think I might be one of the last folks around here to FINALLY buy one and give it a whirl, mostly because I love medium Kraits and my Type-10 so much. I never wanted to do the grind for it (it is quite a grind, BTW) and didn't really see the point of it all.

I was mistaken. If my T10 is a happy laughing whale covered in guns gliding through a CZ the Vette is a hot knife (hammer?) through butter killing machine. Every loadout I tried was, at worst, good. Many were superb. It is more agile than I expected especially FAO and survived encounters I thought it would not. It. Is. Impressive.

Thanks to all of those who encouraged me privately to give it a shot. I will probably use it to take out my (job-accumulated) stress out on poor NPCs every now and then, with a glass of single malt and listening to Maiden. 😈

One last thing - would any of you be willing to show me your take on an all laser (or similar ammo-less) build that I can tinker with? I'd appreciate all suggestions!

o7
This is my CZ endurance build.

You'll run out of fuel before your shields drop.

Just trying to satisfy my initial curiosity about what it can do completely ammoless. I'll probably end up doing what you're suggesting, combo it and synthesize as I go. Thanks for your post!

o7
Don't combo it. If you want an assassination build put Huge M/Cs on it. If you want to rule a CZ or HazRES go with the build I showed.

Here's my assassination build if you want it:

Yes, but one of them can dominate PvE while the pilot drinks a beer and watches a movie.
I engineered my Cobra Mk.III a bit (the usual stuff - thrusters, PD and FSD), and put a prismatic shield on it. A couple of engineered beams, and a couple of engineered frags. I can take down anything PvE with it. Mind-blowing fun!!

I engineered my Cobra Mk.III a bit (the usual stuff - thrusters, PD and FSD), and put a prismatic shield on it. A couple of engineered beams, and a couple of engineered frags. I can take down anything PvE with it. Mind-blowing fun!!

I just LOVE frags on smaller ships. A Cmdr after my own heart. LOL 🥰

I say gimble because you say you don't want to need to aim but bear in mind that'll mean zero dps if your opponent uses chaff. That's why I went with fixed.
If you want all lasers try the laser version of my current PvE focused build.
I'm using this build on PC
70yr old grandad here, kept away from combat for a long time as I reckoned my reaction time too slow until I got my Corvette. Always play in open now and fear no one and have risen to 78% Dangerous as well. All because I took the time to grind for it. The only bad thing I will say about the Corvette is that it spoils you from enjoying your other ships. Here is a link to mine at Coriolis.
I use twin huge beams, efficient with thermal vent. On the large hardpoint a long-range beam, oversized, for pulling and hitting at a distance. The rest are rapid pulse lasers with scramble and emissive.
This is my CZ endurance build.
Don't combo it. If you want an assassination build put Huge M/Cs on it. If you want to rule a CZ or HazRES go with the build I showed.

Here's my assassination build if you want it:

Thanks to all the Cmdrs who were so kind to share builds and advice with me! This is why I love playing ED - I've gotten nothing but support from the community since I started playing. And thanks to those with views that were...very different from mine. It's a big galaxy and there's room for lots of builds! After a few more rounds of tinkering I'll probably put the Vette in station, take the Krait or the T10 and go git me a few more 'Goids. :cool:

Thanks also to Bigmaec who gently reminded me that multiquote is a thing. LOL

o7

I just LOVE frags on smaller ships. A Cmdr after my own heart. LOL 🥰

If you really love small ships you can go for a Vulture. A really OP ship, even in a high CZ

1) I used a frag build - but it's kinda ammo hungry. and needs a carrier or a nearby station for refills between each CZ (preferably a carrier - faster dock/launch sequences)
Still i was able to win most high cz with no resynths with like 12-18 kills per CZ by picking weak targets (asps, vultures, eagles) or already badly damaged ones and by firing only when very close - like when the enemy ship was filling half of my screen so not a single frag pellet gets wasted.

2) a beam build - this one needs no refill runs, but you need to aim for the PP and fire also from very close distance - under 500m. Why? because the wobble from gimbals is atrocious. Best targets: asps, eagles, vultures and vipers. Avoid Pythons - unless they're very damaged - i could not really reliably snipe their PP using beams.

In both builds, if you get unwanted attention from the SpecOps wing - boost out of combat to shake them, then get back and have your revenge.

Edit: to save ammo for the frag build, 4 pips to shields then boost and ram to finish them off can also work nicely :D

One last thing - would any of you be willing to show me your take on an all laser (or similar ammo-less) build that I can tinker with? I'd appreciate all suggestions!
Haven't read through all the answers, it surely got mentioned before:

Edit: My all laser Federal Corvette is stored for some time now, and I use the ammo-free PA/Rail/Laser Corvette instead:

I am using two huge Plasma Accelerators Efficient G5 with Plasma Slug experimental as main damage dealers and two small Rail Guns Long Range G5 with Plasma Slug. Plus an extra fuel Tank. They all have synthesized premium ammo which stays when storing the ship. Just never ever use restock all, nor manually restock ammo on the Plasma Accelerators, nor store the modules loaded with premium ammo or you'll loose the latter.

On the large hardpoint on the bottom I have a Turreted Laser Beam G5 Long Range with Thermal Vent experimental and the two Mediums are a turreted Burst Laser G5 Long Range with Scramble Spectrum and a turreted Pulse Laser G5 Long Range with Emissive experimental.
Power Plant is G5 Reinforced with Thermal Spread to keep heat low.
I use two main Fire Groups, one with PA + Turrets on primary, the rails on secondary - the other with rails + turrets on primary, PA on secondary.

It's surely not the fastest killer, but is well suited for training PA and rail and I find it fun against NPCs. The PAs are highly effective against larger and medium ships, the rails can help you kill small ships or stop fleeing ships (though super penetrator experimental effect would be more suited for that task than plasma slug, but they never go out of ammo...). The turrets whittle away at those pesky elite Vultures etc., deny shield regen, help cool and and apply effects. I always use A rated Sensors (G2 or G3 long-range), especially with turrets.

Remember to always sub-target some vital module, also for scramble once shields are down or to simply cause Power Plant / Frame Shift drive failures with the turrets once their health is low. This even alters the target of the PAs, so it's better to aim for something central (Power Plant, Frame Shift Drive for NPCs, Shield Generator for scramble maybe).
And get an SLF. I was long ignoring this, but find now that mine is a great support and well worth the credits and XP. They can distract your opponents making it easier to land hits or take down small fleeing ships.

Last edited:
Yeah.

When I first bought my Corvette I figured I'd try an all-laser build and, frankly, it was so halfassed that it put me off the ship for about 6 months.

Sure, it'd be nice if we could go full-on "Star Destroyer", but that's just not the way ED works. 🤷‍♂️
I've got one called the death star that's all beams (engineered). Works great in CZ.

I love my Corvette, two huge long range thermal vent beams, 2 medium overcharged multicannons with corrosive, 2 small beams and the large HP is usually packhounds.

Speaking of packhounds I have a type 10 that is almost entirely high capacity packhounds, not particularly effective but we'll over 150 missiles at once is a sight to behold.

Admiral/King here, don't have a Cutter (and won't, Imp ships aren't my thing at all). Got Vette, fully G5'd wanted to have it as ultimate AX exterminator, turned out it sucks hard even compared to my Krait II, occasionally retrofitted for AX buttkicking. Dusting in hangar now. I mean it does look impressive and is quite agile for large vessel, but, well... it didn't click. Although I love rolling around in my Type-9, mined around 5B cr in it, hauled countless cargo all around the Bubble and will still be on my active duty for as long as I play, I reckon. Feels like Vette, Cutter and Conda are really overrated.

Admiral/King here, don't have a Cutter (and won't, Imp ships aren't my thing at all). Got Vette, fully G5'd wanted to have it as ultimate AX exterminator, turned out it sucks hard even compared to my Krait II, occasionally retrofitted for AX buttkicking. Dusting in hangar now. I mean it does look impressive and is quite agile for large vessel, but, well... it didn't click. Although I love rolling around in my Type-9, mined around 5B cr in it, hauled countless cargo all around the Bubble and will still be on my active duty for as long as I play, I reckon. Feels like Vette, Cutter and Conda are really overrated.

I'm thinking there is a hidden variable for AX combat, like there is for "stealth". Strange that the Krait just happens to be the best ship for the job regardless of hard-points.

I'm thinking there is a hidden variable for AX combat, like there is for "stealth". Strange that the Krait just happens to be the best ship for the job regardless of hard-points.
Well, Krait II does have perfect hardpoint count, and especially convergeace for any AX fight, unlike Vette... Also, can't say it's much better than Cheiftan, for that matter. Even some medium fed ships are quite good choice. It's just crazy that medium ships in general are so superior for both, anti-scout and heaviest anti-Interceptor combat than Large ships. With speed you can easily keep even Basilisk at a good distance to have all the time in the world to kill swarm. But no matter how much shield/hull you have on large ship, bigger variants deal so much damage, and easily stay on your tail, so you have very little time for the swarm. Plus butchering SLFs really killed it for big ones...

I think I might be one of the last folks around here to FINALLY buy one and give it a whirl, mostly because I love medium Kraits and my Type-10 so much. I never wanted to do the grind for it (it is quite a grind, BTW) and didn't really see the point of it all.

I was mistaken. If my T10 is a happy laughing whale covered in guns gliding through a CZ the Vette is a hot knife (hammer?) through butter killing machine. Every loadout I tried was, at worst, good. Many were superb. It is more agile than I expected especially FAO and survived encounters I thought it would not. It. Is. Impressive.

Thanks to all of those who encouraged me privately to give it a shot. I will probably use it to take out my (job-accumulated) stress out on poor NPCs every now and then, with a glass of single malt and listening to Maiden. 😈

o7
All efficient beam 2xhuge fixed, the rest gimbaled.

Top Bottom