Federation and Imperial Navy Ranks

For those who take on the missions to progress their Navy ranks with their chosen faction the rewards are access to certain ships by those factions, that's it. For some that might be enough and a reward in itself, for me there should be a bit more. How about a Federation and Imperial uniform for your avatar that shows your ranks? A Federation and Imperial paint job for those ships that you've unlocked?

Here's the really far out suggestion, how about once you've achieved the top ranks, you're called upon to carry out secret/clandestine missions for the power or powers you've backed and upon completion certain unique mission rewards, a decal, bobble, access to a restricted area/installation and maybe, just maybe when you do a certain amount a military upgrade to something, like scanners or thrusters?

Make the rank progression mean something apart from accessing big ships!

Over to Frontier!

It's a honorary civilian rank. Like Elton John's or Rob Stewart's Knighthoods. Can you imagine the Queen asking those geezers to perform a covert mission because they're "Knights of the Realm"? That's just what you described.

Edit: I would totally watch that movie.

Last edited:
An unique decal on your space suit and ship would not be too much to ask, I think. Just one, earned with 6th rank or somewhere around that. Alliance could also grant one on earning the Alioth system permit.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Aye, the navy ranks don't have much to offer beyond the ship unlocks and that's a shame. There's potential there for some cool stuff. Pity.

As pointed out, we aren't actually proper naval personnel but instead just people who have done a few odd jobs here and there for the navies. While someone might some degree of recognition from their local base for delivering Friday night pizza, it doesn't mean they have an actual military rank.

It's also why I suggested in this thread of mine that they should rename the military ranks to both avoid this kind of confusion as well as open up the option for real naval ranks in the future.

It's a honorary civilian rank. Like Elton John's or Rob Stewart's Knighthoods. Can you imagine the Queen asking those geezers to perform a covert mission because they're "Knights of the Realm"? That's just what you described.

Edit: I would totally watch that movie.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but as this is a game and not real life, I'll give a few counters to what you said.

1. It adds some immersion into the game, a little bit of narrative to a game that has been said many times is a game of what ever you want it to be.
2. Gaining those ranks, I had to sneak around, kill enemies of the super power that I was trying to gain rank with, disrupt or undermine the other super power to gain influence and reputation, so I think in game you've shown that you can carry out certain missions.
3. It gives validation to the ranks otherwise all they equate to is being able to buy the locked ships.
4. In the original Elite, you did get covert/military missions when you hit certain trigger points and at the end of it you'd get a reward, be it a military power plant or some other unique reward.
5. Wouldn't you want this added to the game to help flesh out what lots of people have said about something lacking for all your efforts?

I see your point, but here's one huge difference:

Elton John got his knighthood by singing and playing the piano. We got our ranks by massacring pirates, providing needed supplies, rescuing people from burning stations, delivering important data and doing other para-military operations.

So, I think Rogue1474 is correct - it would make the ranks more meaningful and provide another immersion element.

We got our ranks by massacring pirates, providing needed supplies, rescuing people from burning statons, delivering important data and doing other para-military operations.
Not forgetting delivering the all important poo shipments.

Agree with the idea of something to do when you get to the top though. Maybe getting to a certain rank in the Empire could also lock you out of Fed ranks, but Fed ships can be unlocked by doing those top end missions (provided for a covert mission and kept as a reward). Me being a King and Rear Admiral at the same time doesn't sit right really.

For those who take on the missions to progress their Navy ranks with their chosen faction the rewards are access to certain ships by those factions, that's it. For some that might be enough and a reward in itself, for me there should be a bit more. How about a Federation and Imperial uniform for your avatar that shows your ranks? A Federation and Imperial paint job for those ships that you've unlocked?

Here's the really far out suggestion, how about once you've achieved the top ranks, you're called upon to carry out secret/clandestine missions for the power or powers you've backed and upon completion certain unique mission rewards, a decal, bobble, access to a restricted area/installation and maybe, just maybe when you do a certain amount a military upgrade to something, like scanners or thrusters?

Make the rank progression mean something apart from accessing big ships!

Over to Frontier!

This is a cause I will always support. The militaries have a thousand years of in-game lore and twenty-five years of real world lore behind them, they're huge complex sprawling institutions that hate each other (and kind of hate themselves too), having them as nothing more than a way to buy ships is such a wasted opportunity.

Aye, the navy ranks don't have much to offer beyond the ship unlocks.
Not entirely true - there are permit unlocks as well.

I would agree that at least some of those sectors lack some substance and perhaps they could add features to the higher rank locked sectors (e.g. special OPs bases and/or HQs where more unique and interesting mission chains could be on offer) BUT I am fundamentally against the principle of changing the effect of the ranks as some would seem to like this long after release.

I like this idea and to all those saying its not a real navy rank and is honorary think of it this way the rewards the OP suggested would still be reasonable if we were to take these other missions we would be taking them as a black ops unit. We would have no affiliation with the navy and would be completely disavowed if caught the upgrades would essentially be given to us secretly if we were caught the navy would just say we stole them.

Top Bottom