Feedback from CMDR creator tool (The i am hologram, lore explanation and its placement on UI)

So firstly the customization options look fine and good enough. Little bit more basic than i hoped for but it will do its job. Some parts (like face etc.) have decent amount of options but the hair/bread look really basic. No length control, hear look like perfectly cut and just couple pre made options for style. The avatars look create and realistic but options seem to be really limited on some areas, and really great on some other areas. Pretty average character creator.

Secondly why call it hollo me? That doesn't make any sense in elite world. Just stuff that doesn't need to be explained. You just messed up hole lore and made the game make 0 sense in every other area. Why I need to go to station for missions? Why not use hologram? Where am I if there is only hologram in my ship? It would make much more sense if we were in my ships and traveling around and customization isn't explained at all. Or the explanation would be changes to our DNA or nanobots in our blood changing our look, much better explanation as it allow instant customization for those who want it to be explained, and would'n break everything in elite universe/lore we already know. I feel like this explanation is really badly thought out and doesn't fit to existing lore/game universe at all. It doesn't make any sense in elite universe or how it works. The i am just hologram feel really bad choice for explanation, I want to be HUMAN. This is not big change just name change and its better for the "immersion" and fit to current game universe/lore. Sticking with holo me and hologram seem to be quit stupid at least for me. Frontier changed name for engineering options from recipe to blueprints. Same change should be done to hollo me as it isn't consistent with rest of the game or fit to the game.

Then as seen in live stream we can access the customization in ship ui which is great. But why is it on first tab on right hand panel AND SELECTION DEFAULT TO IT. It should be moved to function tab. While great feature I am probably most player will use this customization window once maybe twice. At least not every game session or multiple times during game session. Currently opening engineers window that has useful information is easy and fast, but now (at least in version shown in livestream) the selection default to customization window that most will not use during regular gameplay, it should be in functions tab, were opening it by accident isn't an issue and it doesn't make accessing other UI windows harder (windows with actual stuff we use/need while playing game).

And i am not creating poll, i want discussion, the quality of characters we can make seem good, while customization options, its explanation and placement in ui seem weak/wrongly chosen.

Us being holograms messes up rather a lot of stuff

Including why the heck we as holograms can't move our presence to any of our other ships
Why the hell we insist on our NPC Crew physically manning our ship
Why we have an escape pod eject scene

and on and on and on

Um. Holo - Me. Its a 3d holographic represntation of yourself.

Like a Bomba said... its a futuristic sci fi mirror.

Sometimes i feel like the general comprehension and understanding levels of the world have seriously dropped since Trump took power.

Sometimes i feel like the general comprehension and understanding levels of the world have seriously dropped since Trump took power.

Right, better not explain inconsistencies, them folks won't get it anyway. Like a gender-bending pilot. Maybe ED's humans evolved from slugs?

In a game where you only get one save/commander i'd say being able to change your look at any time would be a good thing.
Now you don't need to wipe your progress to play as a different character.
Obviously your commander name might have a bearing on that but i'd say thats the reason we can change our appearance at any time.

Hi

sorry if i missed it, i only saw half of the stream...... when setting up our character, is this a "do it once" kind of thing or can we remould our features as we see fit?

or is it a half way house so we can change our hair, makeup (ooo betty ;) ) and body art etc but not our ethnicity and core physical traits.

Last edited:
Hi

sorry if i missed it, i only saw half of the stream...... when setting up our character, is this a "do it once" kind of thing or can we remould our features as we see fit?

or is it a half way house so we can change our hair, makeup (ooo betty ;) ) and hair etc but not our ethnicity and core physical traits.
Its an option in the right panel you can use whenever you want.

Hi

or is it a half way house so we can change our hair, makeup (ooo betty ;) ) and body art etc but not our ethnicity and core physical traits.

Seems, you can change everything any time everywhere. You're basically a T1000.

My comprehension and understanding is fine. The OP is querying why it has to be 'built in' as part of the ship systems. It shouldn't/doesn't need to be explained by some 'lore' mechanic, it's a game mechanic, that's all. It doesn't need to be part of my ship systems - that's just daft.

Why the hell would a space ship have an elaborate option to display a 3d holographic of 'me'? Unless I truly am a holographic pilot in my ship then I can't make the changes to myself that the holo implies anyway so, what would be the point?

There is absolutely no need to make it part of the game lore. My graphic settings are not some magical part of the ship system, why does the way I look in the game need to be part of the real life world the game is meant to be simulating - that's just illogical and breaks the fourth wall.

It's a setting outside of the game, it has no place being part of the in game experience, put it it as a menu option alongside graphics and audio where it belongs before Elite turns into some ridiculous Barbie dress me up junk.

That is correct. Although crew that join the ship through telepresence are holograms.

Michael

Please just stop with the holograms thing. It makes no sense and causes more damage to the game's cohesiveness than simply describing it as drop-in drop-out matchmaking.

Call it what it is, stop trying to appease people griping about stuff that doesn't matter who will never be satisfied with your explanation.

That is correct. Although crew that join the ship through telepresence are holograms.

Michael

Nice to hear that, although i still don't like it. Can you past forward my feedback about the placement for it in UI? Or at least possibility to move engineers to be the one the game defaults to when opening the right hand UI panel.

Please just stop with the holograms thing. It makes no sense and causes more damage to the game's cohesiveness than simply describing it as drop-in drop-out matchmaking.

Call it what it is, stop trying to appease people griping about stuff that doesn't matter who will never be satisfied with your explanation.

Agreed, it creates more questions than it answers.

All the OP's points still stand outside of the fact he was applying them to the CMDR creator. If a CMDR can teleprescence anywhere in the galaxy then why cant the AI co-pilots, why does data have to be physically delivered, why are stock prices only locally viewable etc. The lore needs more consistency if you are going to use it to explain gameplay mechanics.

Top Bottom