General / Off-Topic Film Club: 18/4/13

Well its Thursday and I have had a look at what offerings are up for today...
and tomorrow... and we have some interesting choices although it looks like French Week is over... :( shame.. OK

Exit Wounds (2001)
Certificate 18
Channel 5 10:00pm Thu 18 Apr
A maverick cop, transferred to a tough new precinct, determines to make a difference to the lawless streets, but he comes to realise his fellow officers are even more corrupt than the local hoods - and are on the verge of completing a major drug deal. Thriller, starring Steven Seagal, Isaiah Washington and Tom Arnold
Category Detective/Thriller

Springfield Rifle (1952)
Certificate U
Film4 1:20pm Fri 19 Apr
A Union officer is given a fake court martial and discharged so he can infiltrate a Confederate outpost and covertly identify the renegade Union soldiers supplying the enemy with firearms and horses. American Civil War Western adventure, starring Gary Cooper, Phyllis Thaxter and Lon Chaney Jr
Category Western

Silent Running (1971)
Certificate U
Film4 4:55pm Fri 19 Apr
A scientist, with the help of his three robot assistants, tends a huge garden aboard a space station, created to replenish an Earth ravaged by nuclear warfare. But his superiors' decision to abandon the project prompts him to embark on a desperate course of action. Ecological sci-fi drama, starring Bruce Dern, with Cliff Potts and Ron Rifkin
Category Science Fiction

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Certificate 15
ITV2 9:00pm Fri 19 Apr

A banker is wrongly jailed for his wife's murder and over the course of a life sentence he forms a close friendship with a fellow inmate. He also earns a position of trust as book-keeper to the corrupt prison governor - giving him the time and opportunity to conceive a unique escape plan. Frank Darabont's drama, starring Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler, Clancy Brown and Gil Bellows. Including FYI Daily
Category General Movie/Drama

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Certificate 15
ITV2 11:50pm Fri 19 Apr

A petty thief poses as an actor to avoid the law, and lands a role playing a detective. The crook is sent to work with a real-life private eye to perfect his performance, but the unlikely duo end up in over their heads when they stumble on a series of murders. Comedy thriller, starring Robert Downey Jr, Val Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan. Including FYI Daily
Category Detective/Thriller

Zulu (1964)
Certificate PG
Film4 2:45pm Sat 20 Apr
An upper-class soldier and his fellow officer call on a small force to rally against the might of a 4,000-strong force of Zulu warriors at the Battle of Rorke's Drift in 1879. Fact-based historical drama, starring Michael Caine, Stanley Baker, Jack Hawkins, Ulla Jacobsson, Nigel Green and Chief Buthelezi, with narration by Richard Burton
Category War

Last edited:
No point in a poll so lets just get a consensus without mentioning PVE or PVP..

I am TORN this week, SO MANY to choose from... I have to watch Shawshank again, and ZULU... the other 3 are new to me.. .so Im open to giving them a try..

BUT FOR NOW I VOTE SHAWSHANK

just in case ANY OF YOU haven't seen it!!!

No point in a poll so lets just get a consensus without mentioning PVE or PVP..

I am TORN this week, SO MANY to choose from... I have to watch Shawshank again, and ZULU... the other 3 are new to me.. .so Im open to giving them a try..

BUT FOR NOW I VOTE SHAWSHANK

just in case ANY OF YOU haven't seen it!!!

Shawshank, from start to finish a stunning movie, Zulu is a close second for me as classic Michael Caine is always worth watching.

theres another option.. i cant beleive i missed this one..

Silent Running (1971)
Certificate U
A scientist, with the help of his three robot assistants, tends a huge garden aboard a space station, created to replenish an Earth ravaged by nuclear warfare. But his superiors' decision to abandon the project prompts him to embark on a desperate course of action. Ecological sci-fi drama, starring Bruce Dern, with Cliff Potts and Ron Rifkin
Category Science Fiction

added to first post..

illu Minti

Deadly, But very fluffy...
Shawshank, from start to finish a stunning movie, Zulu is a close second for me as classic Michael Caine is always worth watching.

Easy one this week, same order, Shawshank(seen at least eight times!) Zulu(probably more, watched at cinema in Edinburgh when i was a kid, twice in a row) and then for me next and love..... silent Running!

Well of those above I've seen Zulu is my favourite. Hard to believe that the RSM in Zulu is the same guy that played Dalby in The Ipcress File.

"Shoot - Ross!"

Silent running sounds novel though - wasn't that a title for a submarine film too?

no your thinking of the Jamaican Bob Sleigh team (heheh)..

Yes I think there was a silent running sub movie, what was it called it wasn't silent running... it was Run Silent, run deep? no it was something else..

i'll get back to you on that if it clicks in my heed

no your thinking of the Jamaican Bob Sleigh team (heheh)..

Yes I think there was a silent running sub movie, what was it called it wasn't silent running... it was Run Silent, run deep? no it was something else..

i'll get back to you on that if it clicks in my heed

Umm - wasn't that cool running?

But yes I think you're right - it probably was Run Silent Run Deep

Silent Running (1971)
Certificate U
Category Science Fiction

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Certificate 15
ITV2 9:00pm Fri 19 Apr
A banker is wrongly jailed for his wife's murder and over the course of a life sentence he forms a close friendship with a fellow inmate. He also earns a position of trust as book-keeper to the corrupt prison governor - giving him the time and opportunity to conceive a unique escape plan. Frank Darabont's drama, starring Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler, Clancy Brown and Gil Bellows. Including FYI Daily
Category General Movie/Drama

It's got to be one or both of these

and the 1st rule of Film Club is, you don't talk about Film Club
the 2nd rule of Film Club is, YOU. DON'T. TALK. ABOUT. FILM. CLUB.

Well I guess it a big film day then...

I will try to catch both too... Silent Running I may need to record to fit in hospital visiting.. but shawshank I am looking forward to...

Tim Robbins YAY!

Top Bottom