Finally upgrading PC !! - What to Expect ?

After 6 years of hard labour, my 8 core AMD machine has finally given up the ghost. TBH when running ED it had every fan running flat out and sounded like a small aircraft taking off haha.
It ran ED fairly well in VR on a CV1 somewhere around the medium settings on at 1080ti. I think the MB, Processor and Memory were bottleneck in the system as upgrading last year from a 970 to the 1080ti didn't give me the huge jump in performance I was expecting.

I have now ordered a new MB with a i9-9900k (3.6GHz) processors & 32gb of DDR4 3200 memory. I will be using my existing SSD and 1080ti. I don't intend on overclocking anything, just use the equipment as it is.

My question is, what sort of VR setting should I be expecting with this new rig ? I am hoping at least high VR setting.

If any of you guys and girls have a similar set up and can give me a heads up on your settings and what you are achieving I would be most grateful.

Its been several months since I last played ED so very excited about getting back in the black !!

CMDR Flaxton

I've just updated CPU to Ryzen 3900x (from 1600x) which is comparable to 9900k. With my old GTX 1080, I saw a fair performance boost. Moving around in stations is silky smooth now. You'll be able to run on high/ultra with your kit. SS at 1. And HMD quality at 1.75. Shadows on ultra do test my system a bit with the 1080 in certain situations but I was pretty impressed with the increase.

After 6 years of hard labour, my 8 core AMD machine has finally given up the ghost. TBH when running ED it had every fan running flat out and sounded like a small aircraft taking off haha.
It ran ED fairly well in VR on a CV1 somewhere around the medium settings on at 1080ti. I think the MB, Processor and Memory were bottleneck in the system as upgrading last year from a 970 to the 1080ti didn't give me the huge jump in performance I was expecting.

I have now ordered a new MB with a i9-9900k (3.6GHz) processors & 32gb of DDR4 3200 memory. I will be using my existing SSD and 1080ti. I don't intend on overclocking anything, just use the equipment as it is.

My question is, what sort of VR setting should I be expecting with this new rig ? I am hoping at least high VR setting.

If any of you guys and girls have a similar set up and can give me a heads up on your settings and what you are achieving I would be most grateful.

Its been several months since I last played ED so very excited about getting back in the black !!

CMDR Flaxton

I'd be very interested in knowing how this turns out - looking to upgrade later this year (currently have a 1080 and an i5 3750k and 16Gb ram) - so looking to get something closer to your new spec.

Sorry it's been a while coming but the results are in :-
Wonderful improvements in both graphics quality and smoothness of motion from my previous machine.

I have the majority of setting on high, SS 1.0 and HMD at 1.75. Movement around stations and planets are totally smooth and testing remains at 90fps in almost every situation I have been in so far. I used to get quite a lot of jitter while looking at mission or passenger boards, this has now gone and seems a lot easier to read as well. I use a light blue filter on the ED Profiler add on which give a much better cockpit display colour and avatars are still almost the right colour.

This improvement has given me a new enthusiasm and really enjoying doing passenger missions in a dolphin. RES sites are also awesome !!

I feel like I have really missed out on things in game as I haven't played much for the last 12 months so have a lot of the new content to explore. So much to discover, where to start lol

CMD Flaxton

I'm still running a haswell 4770 without issue.

I did update my computer with a 2080ti and ultra wide screen this year. Have been replacing spinning mass with solid state as well. You should be fine.

Don't know what mobo you went with but your new setup is exactly the upgrade I just did a day ago. ;) Only hassle I have now is the bloody HOTAS binds. Getting some really weird behaviors that I never got before they did that last update that changed up the UI, etc.

Top Bottom