Finding a Rank mission, help please!

I've been 100% for ages on first Fed rank and I've now come to understand that you have to do a rank mission to move up. But I'm yet to find one....is it random or am I missing something?

Plenty of threads about this on the forum. Look for a Fed faction offering a Ranking mission, pretty common. Rank given is listed as one of the rewards.

Edit: Hmm, can't find an image - they have "Federal Navy Ascension" in the title

Last edited:
I've been 100% for ages on first Fed rank and I've now come to understand that you have to do a rank mission to move up. But I'm yet to find one....is it random or am I missing something?

Patience is the key here. They will come eventually. And keep on doing fed missions as they will still contribute to your next rank.

Good luck Commander.

Get at least Cordial with the Fed allied factions in your system and the mission will pop up eventually.
In my experience, the higher your % on the next rank is, the higher chance the rank up mission appears.

Yeah I feel your pain. It's very much random when you get offered these missions. Like others have said, it's almost better to stop trying and just wait for them to show up. I had one show up the other day when I wasn't even looking for it.

One thing I've personally done to make this less of a grind is to pick an underdog faction with the intent of helping them reach "new heights" through my work for them. This way I'm not just doing missions for the sake of rep / credits, but I'm actually influencing the structure of power in the galaxy! It's still a long game, but feels more consequential than just doing mission after mission for some random faction with the hope that someday I'll be offered a Federal Navy mission.

Yeah I feel your pain. It's very much random when you get offered these missions. Like others have said, it's almost better to stop trying and just wait for them to show up. I had one show up the other day when I wasn't even looking for it.

One thing I've personally done to make this less of a grind is to pick an underdog faction with the intent of helping them reach "new heights" through my work for them. This way I'm not just doing missions for the sake of rep / credits, but I'm actually influencing the structure of power in the galaxy! It's still a long game, but feels more consequential than just doing mission after mission for some random faction with the hope that someday I'll be offered a Federal Navy mission.

The more danger one gets involved in while assisting a factions means faster ranking. You put you life on the line, you get credit for it faster. I've only hauled legal loads for three weeks, and just now started doing some semi illegal missions. Though they pay better and one can make money more money faster and it's a lot safer to accomplish; Earning rank is slower.

Suggestion is: In the beginning, choose the highest paying legal missions you can get. After you've learned how to land at any or all docks including planetary in a precise and deliberate and expedient manner, then start taking some mild illegal ones that if caught by getting scanned, only invole a fine. with practice and a half dozen rebuys you'll learn how to avoid being scanned by NPC's on guard outside a station as well as the station itself. Thus increasing your gross. My net is almost exactly one third of my gross. It takes money to make money. I mean would you object if I gave you three dollars for every two you give me. I think not, do that a few hundred, thousand, million times and those single dollars you get to keep add up.

That's bussiness!

The more danger one gets involved in while assisting a factions means faster ranking. You put you life on the line, you get credit for it faster.

Errrm, how do I say this ... no, all tosh ;). And that wasn't what the OP asked anyway, they just want the ranking mission, they know how to gain rank.

The more superpower specfic factions you are cordial with, the more chances you have of having it pop up in the missions.

As an example, I just came back from one place (can't recall the name of it) but every faction listed in the mission board was empire affiliated. I'm not focused on empire ranking but that owuld be a great place to get it to pop up. Get cordial with all of them and one is bound to have a naval mission.

So cordial is all you need, not allied?

Yep. Though sometimes a faction will issue a promotion that requires friendly/allied status.

If you're moving around the bubble when doing missions then it becomes 10x harder to find a promotion because you're not making friends with anyone. Unfortunately it's always better to stick to just one system to maximise your chances which is a shame when there's so many interesting systems to choose from.

Personally I think the game should be changed so that your navy rank is reflected in your reputation with all its minor factions, for example if an Imperial CMDR with the Baron rank visits a new system for the first time he would already be cordial with its empire factions.

Having your reputation/infamy 'bleed' into your surroundings would be very cool and open up better opportunities and variety in gameplay.

For now though it's back to Wu Guinagi with all the other CMDR's cluttering up this boring little system.

Last edited:
How does one find their rank, I'm constanly being inadatted with memo's stating I'm not cordial. I get them upon every mission I complete, it must be doing some good because more and more of the stations I have to go to are starting to turn green. But I still don't know if I am ranked, and if so, by whom, and at what level.

Ps: I've not joined any minor or major faction as of yet, I just take the missions, shut my mouth and go Paying absolutly no attention as to where, well except for those stupid cup runs.

How does one find their rank, I'm constanly being inadatted with memo's stating I'm not cordial. I get them upon every mission I complete, it must be doing some good because more and more of the stations I have to go to are starting to turn green. But I still don't know if I am ranked, and if so, by whom, and at what level.

Ps: I've not joined any minor or major faction as of yet, I just take the missions, shut my mouth and go Paying absolutly no attention as to where, well except for those stupid cup runs.

Your ranks/rank progress is visible on your right panel.

Image%202016-07-15%20at%2011.59.54%20PM.png

You can't actively 'join' a superpower, when you visit the mission board at a station some of the minor factions there will have either the fed/empire/alliance logo on them (or none).
oNk8aEe.jpg

So in the above image we can see that the 'Future of Arro Naga' are a Federation faction. If we want promotions in the Federal navy then these are the guys to work for.

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Got to 100% for Fed and no Navy rank missions appeared at all. I read that Tun was a good place to get these missions so I headed out there.

When I got there there was a rank up mission but I couldn't take it as I as not cordial with the faction. So I did quite a few missions using Tun as my base so I could get the factions up to Cordial, but still no rank up mission appeared.

Then last night I had one, just a courier mission to a moon, did that and got ranked up. I'd done a few missions like I said and my rank was 100% for the next promotion. I thought here we go again.

Went back to Tun and another popped up straight away, so last night I ranked up twice. So, I'd suggest sticking to a particular system for a while, Tun has worked for me, eventually.

It's taken a bit longer than you youngen's for me to get some of this, but I'm now able to grasp some more. I've finally got a set water wings and ready to test deeper water.

OK, so I find a station and choose a minor or major factions to do work for.
How does one keep working for the same minor or major faction unless after every mission, they dead head back?
Does one have to pick the right broker or will doing any mission for any of them suffice?
On occasion there's a little white half star associated with a mission, not always but sometimes, what is that all about, does it have anything to do with the particular broker or his afiliations or is it an indicator to assit in choosing a misssion for the desired factions.

How does one keep working for the same minor or major faction unless after every mission, they dead head back?

Minor faction: Head back. Or find another system nearby with the same faction (use system map or eddb.io). Easiest to head back.
Major Faction: as long as the system is controlled by the same major faction (and the minor faction who gives the mission is allied to the major faction) then it will count.

Does one have to pick the right broker or will doing any mission for any of them suffice?

Minor Factions: Pick the broker for the minor faction. The others are for .... other minor factions.
Major Factions: Pick any broker associated with the major faction. Pictures on previous post by Maymo show how these symbols look.

On occasion there's a little white half star associated with a mission, not always but sometimes, what is that all about, does it have anything to do with the particular broker or his afiliations or is it an indicator to assit in choosing a misssion for the desired factions.

Picture please. I assume it's the symbol of a major faction, but it could be anything. As none of the major faction symbols match your description.

Last edited:
Pics or it didn't happen :) And you're mixing rank and reputation again.

OK, you obviously know then, what's the difference. Is one any more important than the other and why? I'm at a point where as I realize that eventually one has to join a group of some sort, and considering how many and their agendas it can be a daughting ordel for any noob, let alone some old fart with shi... for brains. I know there are other's not getting this, but assume their to timid to ask. I am not! So ask I do!

I've made million only to loose them learning how to play the game, which for me isn't a problem, money has a purpose and that is to be spent. But if I can get the low low or high low or high high from an experienced whom has already paid in one way or another for the data, why not? In this forum, everyone has their two cents worth of data to give for free, asking a hundred people may only get you a dimes worth of data. But figuring out which of the 100 people's two cents is conducive to one's own style of play is a grind in it self.

The same could be said about answers, it is astronomical more easy to ask a question that's been asked a hundred times in the 20+ years of ED than it is to look throught the gazillion pages of text accumulated in any one forum. I've attempted numerious time to know avail to use the search, it sucks.

PS: Nothing to do with anything ED related, but where do I know your avatar from?

Last edited:
It's taken a bit longer than you youngen's for me to get some of this, but I'm now able to grasp some more. I've finally got a set water wings and ready to test deeper water.

OK, so I find a station and choose a minor or major factions to do work for.

Yeah you basically keep going back to the same faction(s) for more work, this may sound annoying but the fact is that the more a minor faction likes you the more credits they will give you to do missions so it isn't a waste of time.

When looking for a system to work in I'll look for several things.

• How many Federation (example) factions are present? if there's only 2 out of 6 then mission variety isn't going to be good because working for the 4 independent factions is essentially a complete waste of my time/cargo hold because they don't contribute towards my navy rank.
• What the outfitting is like, I'll usually go for a Hi Tech system so that I have access to good modules.
• How far is the station from the star? If I'm going to be returning on a regular basis I don't want to travel 30,000ls just to get to the station each time, that's a deal breaker. I want <2000ls.

Those are the basics. Then I'll look at the factions themselves, some factions (especially player factions) have expanded into multiple systems...

A good example are the Earth Defense Fleet (Okinura), last time I looked these guys are the most powerful Federation minor faction in the whole galaxy, they completely control or at least have a presence in more systems than any other Fed faction.

That means if I become allied with that one tiny minor faction I suddenly become allied with around 10 systems all at once in a 50ly radius, they'll always offer me good work and they'll never scan me when I enter their stations. A very powerful move for any CMDR, especially if you start to do smuggling or dealing with illegal passengers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom