Horizons Finding ground materials

Beacuse off the distans worlds expedition I wonder Whats the best type off planet to fin germanium? And any good material that I might need

Hi cmdr,
I'm actually looking for vanadium and germanium for my Distant Worlds journey. I'm prospecting high metal rich planets and I suspect that surface colouration also plays a role in the search. So I'm looking for silver, grey, yellow and dark orange surfaces. Some clues bring to craters because fallen asteroids bring many metal samples with them. I'll let you know if I find them and give you some observation infos.
good hunt!

Also found this, hope it will help:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207098

Last edited:
I found that Icy planets are best since they don't spawn outcrops.
(meaning that mesosiderites and metalic meteorites are more abundant, which is good for uncommon and rare materials)

Thanks guys

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Hi cmdr,
I'm actually looking for vanadium and germanium for my Distant Worlds journey. I'm prospecting high metal rich planets and I suspect that surface colouration also plays a role in the search. So I'm looking for silver, grey, yellow and dark orange surfaces. Some clues bring to craters because fallen asteroids bring many metal samples with them. I'll let you know if I find them and give you some observation infos.
good hunt!

Also found this, hope it will help:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207098

I haven't played for some time now what is prospectng?

Driving around in the SRV, using the wave scanner to locate out-crops, meteorites, etc that you can shot to produce minerals. You can then use those minerals like recipes for various things that are mostly of use when exploring (apart from the ammo upgrades)

(meaning that mesosiderites and metalic meteorites are more abundant, which is good for uncommon and rare materials)

Good hint, I'll take a look. There are many icy bodies in the system I'm actually in. I suppose anyway that the composition must have a decent metal content percentage.

From what I saw, that's not even important.

It seems that metal content only affects the relative chances for the common stuff, not the rarer stuff.
(Well, I can't prove it, but I got plenty of tungsten / ruthenium / cadmium on Icy planets, while iron/nickel
is actually quite scarce).

Fun fact : Changes in common materials probabilites do affect metorites, so on icy world you can get metalic meteorites with no metal :/

I think every planet has just one very rare material in the same time. Whenever i find very rare material on planet, i could never find other type very rare materials.

I mostly check out high metal contents planets.

You are correct. there are 3 uncommon, 2 rares and 1 very rare material per planet.
The number of common material depends on the planet type.

I thought so too...until yesterday.. when OC1 and OC2 were found on the Ice moon (Edit: looking at it again... it was an Rocky Ice World - :) ) we were prospecting... First time I'd ever saw them there.
--
BTW... the link provided above has a spread sheet that does list many locations in and around the Bubble (and outward bound on Distance Worlds) for specific materials.

Last edited:
Top Bottom