News 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
Hello Commanders,

We're pleased to see so many Commanders taking to the new Exploration tools!

Based on your reports, we have identified that a number of First Discovered tags have been awarded to populated systems, which was never the intended use of the First Discovered tag. We will be working to correct this and whilst these investigations are ongoing, we strongly suggest Commanders avoid trying to get 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems. However, we can confirm that eager explorers should continue to track down those 'First Mapped' tags for populated systems, which is intended!

We also want to assure you that any previously awarded First Discovered tags (prior to 3.3) are not being overwritten by newly-acquired First Discovered tags following the launch of Beyond – Chapter Four.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
we strongly suggest Commanders avoid trying to get 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems.

giphy.gif

I mean given that you now get first discovered for simply pointing at it in the FSS, that's essentially asking people to not scan any populated systems.

I mean given that you now get first discovered for simply pointing at it in the FSS, that's essentially asking people to not scan any populated systems.

And yet somehow we are encouraged to get first mapping without getting that first discovered tag that is pretty much automatic.

Is that even possible?

Last edited:
And yet somehow we are encouraged to get first mapping without getting that first discovered tag that is pretty much automatic.

Is that even possible?

No, lol! In order to map planets you need to first scan them via the FSS.

Will says nothing is being overwritten though so it should be fine to scan everything you want to.

I hope it all gets fixed very soon.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

Is that even possible?

You could do it, but only if you're in a system that you've already done a detailed surface scan on the planets prior to 3.3, or it is a pre discovered system like Sol or Achenar.

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
Hello Commanders,

Based on your reports, we have identified that a number of First Discovered tags have been awarded to populated systems, which was never the intended use of the First Discovered tag. We will be working to correct this and whilst these investigations are ongoing, we strongly suggest Commanders avoid trying to get 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems. However, we can confirm that eager explorers should continue to track down those 'First Mapped' tags for populated systems, which is intended!

We also want to assure you that any previously awarded First Discovered tags (prior to 3.3) are not being overwritten by newly-acquired First Discovered tags following the launch of Beyond – Chapter Four.

Just a question:

If CODEX should catalog 1. DISCOVERED and 1. MAPPED bodies...

THEN

All the bodies that are 1. discovered BEFORE 3.3 CANNOT be TAGGED by ANYONE in CODEX - they are basically LOST (CODEX wise).

Correct?

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier

To clarify: we're not asking Commanders not to scan populated systems, only that we do not want their efforts to be fruitless if they're racing to get the First Discovered tag on specific populated systems.

All the bodies that are 1. discovered BEFORE 3.3 CANNOT be TAGGED by ANYONE in CODEX - they are basically LOST (CODEX wise).

Correct?

If I understood it correctly, Codex does not count every planet.. It counts first discovery of planet TYPE in corresponded SECTOR. So ONLY first man who discovered (for example) ELW will get credits. All other ELWs in this sector will not be added into Codex.

Yes, this is most idiotic realisation of Codex you may imagine, but it is here.
Applaud to FDev, they are outdid themselves.

Last edited:
If I understood it correctly, Codex does not count every planet.. It counts first discovery of planet TYPE in corresponded SECTOR. So ONLY first man who discovered (for example) ELW will get credits. All other ELWs in this sector will not be added into Codex.

Who are you? A self-styled expert?

Last edited by a moderator:
Free credits until repairs are done. I hope nobody is ranting about that!

Oh boy... here we go again. Well, I seem to not be able to jump to supercruise for the time being without getting a server error now anyway. Just trying to retag some of my old discoveries out in the black, honest.

Oh boy... here we go again. Well, I seem to not be able to jump to supercruise for the time being without getting a server error now anyway. Just trying to retag some of my old discoveries out in the black, honest.

They're already reinstating the original first Discoverers as we speak. Checked around some Systems around me and where nothing was previously, the old info popped up again. Sometimes along with the new mapped one.

Scytale

Banned
Hello Commanders,

Oh yeah ? Well, let me just tell you that there is at least one Cmdr who finds that your "new exploration tools" are just crap.

EDIT: And it is not like you gave us an other option for exploring... Did you ?
So, yes, no wonder why "so many Cmdrs are taking to the new (rubbish) exploration tools".

Last edited:
We will be working to correct this and whilst these investigations are ongoing, we strongly suggest Commanders avoid trying to get 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems. However, we can confirm that eager explorers should continue to track down those 'First Mapped' tags for populated systems, which is intended!

I suspect this could have been worded more clearly, but I just read it as meaning we shouldn't set ourselves the goal of getting 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems because these will disappear again after the issue is fixed.

Oh yeah ? Well, let me just tell you that there is at least one Cmdr who finds that your "new exploration tools" are just crap.

Used in moderation I think they're decent enough. Would prefer some workarounds for those of us that like piloting our ships around systems in first person though. Just saying. But that's getting a bit off here.

Last edited:

So, the Codex doesn't have a section where I can look at all of my own first discoveries? That's, um, disappointing. Guess I'll keep using EDSM, not that I was planning to stop.

Top Bottom