News 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems

Why credit players with " First Reported by " in 2018, when there were true First Discoverers back in 2015.

Please, either credit the right people, or remove the names all together.

This is like taking credit for discovering America in 2018.

+1

This is one of the issues i have with the codex and how it was introduced. Oh, you discovered a bunch of neutron stars and terraformable planets? Sorry, apparently i discovered them too early, should have waited till 3.3 dropped. Terribly sorry, but now we have to credit somebody else with the discovery.

The codex sounded like a good idea when it was first introduced, but the way it was actually implemented just makes no goddamn sense. Why can i access the audio logs of some mining outpost i once visited, but not any of the decoded guardian logs?

Last edited:
+1

This is one of the issues i have with the codex and how it was introduced. Oh, you discovered a bunch of neutron stars and terraformable planets? Sorry, apparently i discovered them too early, should have waited till 3.3 dropped. Terribly sorry, but now we have to credit somebody else with the discovery.

The codex sounded like a good idea when it was first introduced, but the way it was actually implemented just makes no goddamn sense. Why can i access the audio logs of some mining outpost i once visited, but not any of the decoded guardian logs?

Well said. My thoughts as I scanned the Codex.

I spent 3 hours trying to sign in to get first discovered on our home system. It was not previously discovered by another CMDR. So you're telling me I wasted all that time?

I must be reading the Codex wrong. Last night I looked and it was showing the Stars & Planets I discovered back in June when I first went to Colonia. I think mine showed up as (2) if I discovered two Earth-like planets.

But you can all sit and moan boil if you like. After all, that's what a forum is for, right?

I'll go play X4:Foundations while I wait for the servers to come back.

Have Fun Storming The Castle, Kids!

I spent 3 hours trying to sign in to get first discovered on our home system. It was not previously discovered by another CMDR. So you're telling me I wasted all that time?

Yes. I did the same with my own home system in case the rather silly current implementation was intended behaviour. Presumably someone went to a great deal of effort to be the first to map Sol & other significant destinations, their effort was wasted too, but I'm sure the race was a lot of fun ;)

Last edited:
This Codex is a terrible feature.

Why credit players with " First Reported by " in 2018, when there were true First Discoverers back in 2015.

Please, either credit the right people, or remove the names all together.

This is like taking credit for discovering America in 2018.

I agree with this, codex should be populated with previous discoveries. I'd also prefer that 'first mapped' be assigned to the player that first discovered the body pre-3.3 on the basis that they would have mapped it if they had the tools to.

+1

I agree entirely. I've spent most of my time in the game out in the void, exploring and scanning systems and when I heard about the codex, I was overjoyed that there was going to be a permanent accessible record of every star and planet I got first discovery on. Very disappointed that this is not the case after all.

I suspect that most pre-3.3 inner bubble names were 'seeded' by FD with fantasy names, very early in the beginning (the sheer existence of such a name database would already be astonishing). So if I'm right, I dunno if I really want these artificial names back then...

The first discovered by tags were not in the game at launch. I don't remember when they were added but they were imported from real data I believe.

To get a first discovered tag you don't need a DSS, but you did need to actually travel to the body to scan it. This data is known, and could be imported if Fdev chose to (I appreciate it would be a large dataset).

If the first discovered tag was not from a DSS scan the player could not have mapped it. If it was a DSS scan it could have been mapped (they travelled to the body & were nearby long enough to scan it), it can safely be assumed they would have mapped it too, because they had the equipment and took the time.

So from a mechanical perspective there's no obstacle to doing it, the reason to not do it is just one of willingness to put in the effort.

I can see a reason for not using the locally stored data to populate the codex, it could be tampered with. But each players savegame knows what level of scan was done on a body, and possibly when.

So you seem to believe the same, in principle. The interesting question is, assuming we both are right, *why* did they do it. Why did they seed names instead of let them grow in a natural way? If it was to prevent a run for undiscovered systems and too much server stress as a result, we would likely have the answer for the reason behind the current notice. Because the current situation is comparable.

Well if fake names were inserted the same fake names could be entered for the mapped tag, whether they are real or not isn't really relevant. If there were any fake ones they could be removed to allow a new player to tag them I suppose, if any record was stored of what was fake & what was real. I've tagged plenty of systems, I know mine aren't fake ;)

+1

I would go so far as to suggest that the opposite situation is also unsatisfactory. Imagine a new player discovering a brand new star type in an unexplored region, feeling proud at seeing their report in the Codex, then appearing crestfallen as they then look in the system map and see the dreaded words "First Discovered By Zulu Romeo"...

I would go so far as to suggest that the opposite situation is also unsatisfactory. Imagine a new player discovering a brand new star type in an unexplored region, feeling proud at seeing their report in the Codex, then appearing crestfallen as they then look in the system map and see the dreaded words "First Discovered By Zulu Romeo"...

That's a situation that's only going to worsen with time. Better get on with it FDev :D

It's unrealistic to expect people to avoid new discoveries in the bubble. Perhaps as recompense for any confusion over undue first discoveries, any new discovery cash rewards obtained between patch and fix should be kept under the proviso that tags may revert to the original.

Out of interest, how can a populated system not already be first discovered already? :)

Many populated systems are assumed to be known since antiquity so there is nothing to discover in them, the sysmap is already populated when you arrive for the first time. Sol is an example of this, the idea of Earth being first discovered by (or first mapped by) a player is pretty silly, but it is the way 3.3 has been implemented.

My home system is one of these populated systems & I struggled with the network errors for hours in a race to ensure I had the tag on it. In the end I got everything but one moon ;)

This race to tag all the things is no doubt contributing to the network instability as a lot of players old & new try to leave their mark in the bubble.

Never ceases to amaze me that there are those that no matter what is done, its never good enough. We have the Codex now, but it doesn't do everything or anything these players thought it would do. So it ain't working as intended or how you wished it would work, give FDEV some credit for at least getting something to work with. It can be changed over time, its still more than what you had before even if it isn't that much.

I, for one, am still learning the new exploration dynamic, and have already gotten a couple "first mapped" tags, one was a populated system. Took me a while to figure out how to do all of it, and I am in no way quick about it. Still takes me a long time to scan every object in the system, and then go and map it. So it takes more time to scan a system, oh well, just so long as I don't lose all my previous 75k first discoveries, I'm happy.

Hi Will !!!
So, if I've understood correctly, first discovered in populated systems don't count and will be wiped. So.... what about a Cmdr (me!!) who is the first to confirm a "regular" planet out of bubble? Will he become the first "reporter" (whith his name signed in codex) in place of the Cmdr who discovered same type of planet in bubble? Hope so!

Last edited:
I take it this doesn't unfairly result in the actual first discovery Commander's name being replaced as you have indicated. 100% certain?

I mean, if this isn't the case then why tell us not to make some money scanning the bubble?

Last edited:
Top Bottom