News 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems

I remember when guardian boosters were broken etc. What's with these new updates and features resulting in you guys telling us not to participate? Same when Fdev blunder the missions boards.

This Q4 was hotly anticipated and the streams kept using he standard "Exciting" phrase. But some of the new features are messed up. Like the combat zones.

This is becoming silly and you know it! No offense, to you, Will.

Scytale

Banned
So this Q4 patch is even more crappy than expected.
Please, FDevs, stop patching this great game before you end up breaking it totally.
Exploration has become a bad joke, keep the rest genuine at least, please.

Hello Commanders,

We're pleased to see so many Commanders taking to the new Exploration tools!

Based on your reports, we have identified that a number of First Discovered tags have been awarded to populated systems, which was never the intended use of the First Discovered tag. We will be working to correct this and whilst these investigations are ongoing, we strongly suggest Commanders avoid trying to get 'First Discovered' tags in populated systems. However, we can confirm that eager explorers should continue to track down those 'First Mapped' tags for populated systems, which is intended!

We also want to assure you that any previously awarded First Discovered tags (prior to 3.3) are not being overwritten by newly-acquired First Discovered tags following the launch of Beyond – Chapter Four.

Hi Will.

Thanks very much for the update and i hope you get the chance to read my reply.

As you follow up on the issue within Frontier, is there any chance you could clarify for us what exactly is the logic used (or will be used going forward) for bodies to be permitted to be 'Discovered' in the bubble?

Ever since i've been playing, there have countless populated systems that were discovered by players. These include very prominent systems in the core, not just outliers in fringe space.

It would be good to get a full clarification on the intention including the past discoveries as well as how it will be going forward.

Thanks in advance for any info!

IMHO the stupidies idea was marking populated system with Discoverered by CMDR... why?
Simply, beceause when you visited for the first time populated system in the bubble "YOU WERENT THERE FIRST!". You enter into the populated system so humans been there and found/scan all planets.

No one from game players shoud have pinned plate I discovered this planet nor first discovered in populated systems it is nonsense.

IMHO the stupidies idea was marking populated system with Discoverered by CMDR... why?
Simply, beceause when you visited for the first time populated system in the bubble "YOU WERENT THERE FIRST!". You enter into the populated system so humans been there and found/scan all planets.

No one from game players shoud have pinned plate I discovered this planet nor first discovered in populated systems it is nonsense.

Agreed,

Its also now possible to make incredible easy money just going around in the bubble "scanning" the populated systems ELW and WW regardless if someone tagged it or not.
By "scanning" I mean looking at already scanned, fully known planets - which bring us the following problems:

-It doesn't make sense that you get discovery money from a system known for hundreds of years lorewise.
-You don't use the discovery tools as intended.
-You have no idea which planets you scanned or not in the populated systems.

I think it would have been best to leave the undiscoverable populated systems as they were, but Im not sure how this could be rectified now when probably 95% of these systems already are fully tagged.

Nobody is losing

I've noticed that some players seem to believe they are losing their First discovered tags(or feel like they are). Not including the tags in populated areas, those should be removed anyway. As for all of the other tags, You are definitely not losing the first discovered tags for places you actually first discovered. Doesn't make sense for it to say cmdr Joe Shmoe discovered a system that has always belonged to the federation. That example should read "Discovered by Zachary Hudson's grand dad and his merry band of space station builders." A number of people are upset about the new mapping system that was implemented. Try to keep in mind that mapping is mappig, but discovering is "DISCOVERING". Mapping is like Christopher Columbus (even he gets too much credit), but the U.S of A is America, you know, because Amerigo Vespucci was the first to discover America. Otherwise, some of us in the world would be living in the United States of Columbus. Anywho, you guys aren't losing anything. Everyone who is now mapping systems, sees your name first and we know who gets the credit for planting the flags. Personally, I started playing Elite a little late and If not for this update, I don't think I would've ever gotten into exploration. Which is a shame considering what I've been missing out on. In response to the codex, I too think it would be cool for each player to be able to see their firsts listed in the codex whether it be discoveries or mapping. Ah, reminds me. "When turning in Mapping data, It reads as first discovered. Should say first mapped." Final note. Mapping takes longer than the previous method of flying to each planet and doing a basic scan, and you don't get mapping credit if you do not fly to each body and do the mapping mechanic thing. So, Discovering may be easier. Maybe, idk If scanning in FSS counts for discoveries, but I do know that it doesn't count for first mapped tags. Well, happy trails in the void Commanders.

Last edited:
Will this also solve the first discovered by and mapped by tags appearing as ******?

I did a small exploration venture over the last couple days ( 12k-15kly ) and returned data of some unexplored systems and planets that hadn’t been mapped. Turned the data in and it came up as ******* in both fields.

Some planets have shown the mapped by tag, but I have an entire system of 70 bodies coming up as asterix, though here and there, I have a system showing up fine with the ‘discovered by’ tag

Last edited:
Will this also solve the first discovered by and mapped by tags appearing as ******?

I did a small exploration venture over the last couple days ( 12k-15kly ) and returned data of some unexplored systems and planets that hadn’t been mapped. Turned the data in and it came up as ******* in both fields.

Some planets have shown the mapped by tag, but I have an entire system of 70 bodies coming up as asterix, though here and there, I have a system showing up fine with the ‘discovered by’ tag

This ! I have a few first mapped planets too in populated systems...But now is showing ********* . =(

This stuff's not working right: I go to planet with no "first mapped by" tag, then go to NAV panel select that body for its info, and see it has been mapped; I return to the planet and, indeed, it now has a tag. That's just annoying. What's intolerable is the confusion about what "mapped" means: in the galaxy map it'll say in the left hand info panel, "You have not mapped this planet. In NAV, "mapped", and I can map it. I've wasted a lot of time and effort when trying to map a system: I can't tell which I'VE mapped. Even when I have not mapped it and NAV says its mapped, the tag in the system map may not say "mapped by".

Ke. Confusion there.

If you didnt visited a system when u enter it u see all as undiscovered, but when u open the system map off course the tags and relevant info will appear. until u use the FSS, and probes to map or buy the system data u wont get the full info of that system and that is normal and expected, i believe from the posts that is what is going on here, a lack of understanding how things actually work.

Thanks for the response. Then, about how things work: trying to plot a route to a system I've been in 100 times, why is the system map unavailable?! Shouldn't I have permanent access to all map data that I have generated? I haven't been able to make good sense of the "discovered by" and "mapped by" tagging: if a planet hasn't been mapped (i.e. no "mapped by" tag) why would the NAV panel info say, "mapped"--and not by me? So, somebody mapped before me, but didn't get "mapped by" credit?? So, does that mean I have to do something special to get a "mapped by" tag? These questions are the stars in my constellation of confusion...I don't mean to take undue advantage of your willingness to answer my questions. Much thanks, regardless!

Top Bottom