Horizons Fixes and things to add to the game

After nearly a month of Horizons play I have a few observations I would like to share.

Firstly, Horizons is another fantastic step along the journey we are all taking toward what will hopefully be the greatest game of its type and I would like to thank the Frontier team for their heroic efforts. We often see far too many threads on the forum decrying the state of the game without sparing a thought for the tremendous efforts that have brought it to it's current state - so Frontier - thanks for all the hard work you have put in, please keep it up.

Now for a few questions:

1. Why are all landable bodies the same colour when you actually get into orbit or land on them, despite how they appear on system map? Every one I have landed on so far are a kind of off-white, yet on the system map they are portrayed as all manner of interesting colours.

2. Has anyone else experienced the left hand UI panel locking up after scanning a body that can be landed on. I use one of the 8-way switches on my X55 throttle to navigate the UI's and after scanning a body I can land on I can no longer use the 8-way to move through the UI options and have to use the keyboard arrow keys until I select a new target.

3. I know I am only 1,780LY from Sol but why do I keep finding ship wrecks and automated mining outposts on planetoids in systems that haven't even been discovered yet? It seems a little odd so far from habitable space to be finding these kinds of things.

4. Why does the Auto Field-Maintenance Unit look like it is capable of repairing itself but not actually able to do it?

5. Why are you not able to repair every module on a ship - currently the Detailed Surface Scanner and Power Plant are not repairable - two modules that are pretty important to deep space exploration.

Finally, a few tweaks I would like to see in the game:

1. Pilot History
This is something I would like to have seen long before now - a type of Pilots Flying Log that lists systems, stars and planets discovered and visited, and ship types killed and the totals. This is just a start point, the log could record all manner of things in the game...I am sure the community could come up with a whole list of recordable data.

2. Galaxy Map Shading
This could tie in with the Pilots Log and would show area's of the galactic map explored by the pilot.

3. Ability to Name Ships
Speaks for itself - the ability to see a ship on the scanner with a name rather than just the ship type would be great.

4. Ship Decals and Paint Pack
As much as I understand that ship colour schemes make money for Frontier I would dearly like to see an in-game paint facility that allows you to come up with your own ship colour schemes and possibly even create your own decals. Although I very much play the game as a lone player the opportunities this would create for Wings and organisations to have a cohesive look would be limitless. I would even pay Frontier to purchase such a paint/decal pack.

5. Ability to Repair the Airframe
This (at least to me) is a no-brainer, especially for those of us on long term exploration trips. With the ability to now land the chances of catastrophically damaging the airframe have dramatically increased and whilst you can always repair the ships modules using an Auto Field-Maintenance Unit once the hull is gone it's game over.

Shields do not protect a ship from a hard landing or an accidental impact with a rocky outcropping or anything else that gets in the way. I know because I took my eye off the ball on a heavy gravity planetoid and slammed my ship off the deck - instantly taking my hull from 100% to 13%...luckily for me I was still in habitable space when I did it and put into dry-dock for repairs; a valuable lesson hard earned!

Thanks for your attention Commanders.

Cy

Last edited:
Here hear! I likes the ideas here. There's been rumblings concerning the pilot histories, however as a temporary measure there are some great third party programs (my favorite is Captain's Log, I even give him money).

1, 2, 3 were asked since beta in 2014.
4 i doubt it's possible.
5 is a good one, but again, it was asked long ago :)

Last edited:
4. Why does the Auto Field-Maintenance Unit look like it is capable of repairing itself but not actually able to do it?

Modules have to be turned off in order to repair them, so an AFMU can not repair itself because it would have to be on and off at the same time. It's not too uncommon for explorers to carry two AFMU for this very reason.

5. Why are you not able to repair every module on a ship - currently the Detailed Surface Scanner and Power Plant are not repairable - two modules that are pretty important to deep space exploration.

Don't know about the DSS, but the Power Plant can't be repaired because it has to be shut down and currently we can't do this. It's something that has been talked about, and we might be able to repair it planet side at some point, but in the meantime...

5. Ability to Repair the Airframe
This (at least to me) is a no-brainer, especially for those of us on long term exploration trips. With the ability to now land the chances of catastrophically damaging the airframe have dramatically increased and whilst you can always repair the ships modules using an Auto Field-Maintenance Unit once the hull is gone it's game over.

I disagree. At least not As-Is. If we ever get the ability to repair the Hull ourselves I seriously hope it's part of a more complex repair system where repairing our own hull comes with some kind of down side. Like maybe for every 20% of field hull repairs the hull's maximum effectiveness goes down by 10%. If we're reckless enough out there we should always run the risk of having to limp home, and we should never reach the point where we can stay out forever regardless of how reckless or unlucky we are.

Shields do not protect a ship from a hard landing or an accidental impact with a rocky outcropping or anything else that gets in the way. I know because I took my eye off the ball on a heavy gravity planetoid and slammed my ship off the deck - instantly taking my hull from 100% to 13%...luckily for me I was still in habitable space when I did it and put into dry-dock for repairs; a valuable lesson hard earned!

Shields absolutely DO protect you from hard landings, but hard landings (or any other sort of impromptu planetary contact) can result in massive damage that can overcome your shields. Given that in your example you had shields, without them you might not have survived at all. You'll just have to be a little less distractible. ;)

Modules have to be turned off in order to repair them, so an AFMU can not repair itself because it would have to be on and off at the same time. It's not too uncommon for explorers to carry two AFMU for this very reason.

Don't know about the DSS, but the Power Plant can't be repaired because it has to be shut down and currently we can't do this. It's something that has been talked about, and we might be able to repair it planet side at some point, but in the meantime...

I disagree. At least not As-Is. If we ever get the ability to repair the Hull ourselves I seriously hope it's part of a more complex repair system where repairing our own hull comes with some kind of down side. Like maybe for every 20% of field hull repairs the hull's maximum effectiveness goes down by 10%. If we're reckless enough out there we should always run the risk of having to limp home, and we should never reach the point where we can stay out forever regardless of how reckless or unlucky we are.

Shields absolutely DO protect you from hard landings, but hard landings (or any other sort of impromptu planetary contact) can result in massive damage that can overcome your shields. Given that in your example you had shields, without them you might not have survived at all. You'll just have to be a little less distractible. ;)

Thanks for the answers guys, appreciated. :)

I like a lot of your ideas! and I would also like to add, Why doesn't your cockpit "freeze up" when it gets blown out? they already have this "cool" effect and I think it should be used more in scenarios like this.

Good ideas. I like the paint pack thing and no, that shouldn't be that hard to implement in some form. I would like to see the ground radar image the same when you land on the surface as when you land on a station that should then switch to the landing pad image once you are in range of the pad. I makes no sense not to do that. Also, once you are under 200 meters of a pad/ground the ships rotation (yaw) should be sped up so it doesn't take so long to land.

Top Bottom