Fixing Animal Names

That is what I meant. While English version isn't perfect, the versions in other languages seems much worse. I know the Danish version is quite bad
That's so true, for the example the versions of the game in Latin America and Spain (both in Spanish that's not so different IRL) has a lot of inconsistencies like literally
changing the name of one species to another in each version respectively

That's so true, for the example the versions of the game in Latin America and Spain (both in Spanish that's not so different IRL) has a lot of inconsistencies like literally
changing the name of one species to another in each version respectively
One thing that irks me about the Spanish version is that they translated Oryx gazella as "Gacela órice", while its most common name would be "Órice del Cabo" (Cape oryx). As a consequence, when you look for the species in alphabetical order, it appears along the true gazelles (e.g. "Gacela de Thomson"), instead of next to the other oryx.
On a side note, and maybe somewhat related to that problem, I've never understood why the most common English name for the most common oryx (Gemsbok) is in Afrikaans and doesn't include the word "oryx", like in the other oryx species. Cape oryx sounds much more descriptive.

What would be nice is if they divide the Zoopedia by animals group (primates, felines, canids) and then by Latin name (Neofelis, Panthera leo, Panthera tigris, etc.)

So, I've been looking at the West African lion, and I think it's kinda obvious that it's the Northern lion, so that deserves a fix. Furthermore, since it's the Northern subspecies, it should be updated to include India in its range.

Many people don´t know abou this, but in fact the actual lion in the game incluides the "asiatic lion"
look at the india it has a little red spot
1680188053986.png

Many people don´t know abou this, but in fact the actual lion in the game incluides the "asiatic lion"
look at the india it has a little red spot
View attachment 350804
I try stressing this out in every opportunity. The more people know, the better.

but also the Zoopedia range map is for the entire species. Even includes their range in India.
I did forget to mark the Gir Forest population for users who could potentially miss it:
View attachment 223861
Glad you brought it up. It has been a long time since I checked that map. The in-game lion's distribution map has gone through 3 phases since the beta. I have archived versions of almost all versions of the Zoopedia, so let's take a trip back in time:

1) The Beta: During the beta, the lion's distribution map was for the current day distribution of all subspecies/populations combined. Even the Gir Forest population (Asiatic lion):
View attachment 223852

2) At Launch: For months after release, many forum users, including myself, had pointed out to the lion's distribution map's errors. The "new" distribution map was for Panthera leo melanochaita, not even Panthera leo leo. The only Panthera leo leo population depicted on it was the Gir Forest population. They had apparently forgotten about the Indian population while removing Panthera leo leo from the map. Two mistakes in one really: Removing the wrong subspecies and then leaving parts of the removed subspecies' distribution on the map when the game's lion doesn't even have the Asia tag. This version of the map persisted for almost a year.
View attachment 223846

3) Recently: Now, many months later, we are back at where we started, distribution map for the species as a whole.
View attachment 223845

I think, the Cheetah could be rename as Southeast African cheetah, because this is the most common Cheetah subspecies and the Frontier made this subspecies as the animation of Cheetah.

Also, the Asiatic Cheetah almost never seen in Zoos (only few specimens in some Iranian Zoos).

Back
Top Bottom