Fleet Carriers - Community Wishlist

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
INTRO

As we all know now, Fleet Carriers are coming in December. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people are looking forward to them, but I can obviously only speak for myself. And from my perspective - as a large Squadron (340+) leader with a lot of veteran players - Fleet Carriers should give us something new to do.

This year's updates focused on new players, so it's great to see something for more seasoned pilots, even if we had to wait a full year for it. I know for a fact that a lot of our veteran Squadron members see it as a "2020 waiting content" - aka the content that will keep us entertained until 2020 update hits us like a brick (hopefully!).

But Carriers will need to be feature-rich in order to achieve that. If they're just a "grind for fuel for the next jump" - they will quickly become a forgotten feature.

I'm sure FDEV have their idea of how they will work, but I thought it would be good to have a community wishlist for Fleet Carriers as well. Maybe it's not too late yet for the devs to implement some of the ideas that will hopefully come in this thread. And even if it is - well at least they will have this as a reference for future enhancements.

Please keep the wishlist realistic in the context of what's possible in game etc. - otherwise FDEV won't take this thread seriously. Also, be polite, keep the convo civil and most of all - do not bash devs.

Similar to my "immersion breakers" thread (link in signature), I will try and add all of the reasonable requests to this OP. Try and keep your suggestions as short bullet-points, rather than essay-type wall of text, for better readability.

I'll stat with some of my ideas and keep yours coming. Hopefully this thread will prove useful to Frontier :)

FLEET CARRIERS COMMUNITY WISHLIST
  • The obvious - carry fleet of Squadron ships. Max number at least as big as max mambers for a Squadron.
  • Upgrade path for Fleet Carrier facilities, unlocking services like Outfitting, Refuel, Repair, Interstellar Factor, cargo bays, material storage (see below) etc.
  • Upgrade path for Carrier's modules, giving it better FSD, Hull Reinforcements, SLF bays, Turrets etc.
  • Unlockable cosmetics that don't have to be purchased for ARX.
  • Bespoke faction logo as a decal (PLEASE FDEV!)
  • Ability to perform hyperjumps to destinations selected by players.
  • Engineer material storage and cargo bays with access for Squadron members, configurable by Squadron leader (i.e. which ranks can access the storage). Basically a "guild bank".
  • Randomly occurring scenarios for Carriers - i.e. pirate attack, Thargoid attack.
  • Turrets that can be manned by Commanders to defend the Carrier - preferably by Telepresence (i.e. remotely)
  • SLF bays that can host many fighters - again that can be manned by Commanders - preferably by Telepresence (i.e. remotely)
  • A busy work loop to find X, to drop into the Fleet Carrier, so it can do Y
  • Undertaking an anti-xeno task to clean out an area, where Squadron members holo-me into fighters launching from the Fleet Carrier to attack and clear out a location from Thargoid scouts etc.
  • If two or more carriers are present in system (and in some new mechanic are declared enemies) it triggers a CZ like war between them until one is damaged enough so it retreats like a cap ship. Combat could be hacking, turret destruction, fuel siphoning, data hacking.
  • Squadron's Minor Faction and the Carrier having some sort of interplay, as described here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fleet-carrier-and-squadrons-minor-faction-synergy.516825/
  • A means of overcoming the "one ship per CMDR" limitation. A shipyard (presumably with no stock of ships for sale) would be the simplest way to implement this, requiring virtually zero effort. But other methods are possible. If ship transfers to a Carrier over interstallar distances are deemed unbalanced, limit them to within a system.
  • Presumably it will have "hyperdrive" rather than FSD. I'm assuming long voyages through witchspace at ship-transfer speed (6ly per minute). If so, the ability to leave the Carrier mid-voyage and jump to normal space to "go on ahead" would be nice.
  • No ludicrous grind required for each jump. Gathering hydrogen fuel is reasonable.
  • No restriction on the minimum number of players to operate one, we should be able to use NPC's to meet any such requirement. In particular, a smallish one should not require more than one CMDR and three NPC copilots, and/or whatever NPC crew the Carrier is described as having.
  • Strict limits on what they are able to do so as not to interfere with non squadron players - i.e. some kind of limits to the ship jump range an how long it takes for each jump, they can't be like normal ships as they would unbalance the game
  • Scaled so that if you are a solo player (yes I know what they've said but this is a WISHlist!!) I can grind to get a smaller carrier maybe one that carries 1 medium and a couple of small ships and isn't ridiculous to use. Right through to huge squadrons getting mini space stations.
  • Have a definite impact in the BGS and/or PP based on their location. Bonus to certain BGS/PP actions etc or similar
  • Carriers can be fought and forced to hyper jump away (or possibly even be destroyed if jump activated too late) in a similar way to how Farragut/Majestic can be forced to jump out)
  • Introduce degradation (nothing too severe) but it would need occasional repairs. Maybe it would give us a use for all the stuff we normally avoid when mining; gallite, indite, etc.
  • Communication board on the fleetcarrier which enables the squadron to communicate with outsiders and ... maybe even a way for guests to leave messages at the carrier.
  • Some more squadron communication tools to be available through the “starport services” such as message boards/mini forum so squadron members can post messages and ask questions. Leadership can set up threads for topics such as, carrier goals or current objectives.
  • NPC crew. Not just as pilots for fighters but as technicians/mechanics. They can slowly repair damage to the carrier over time. The higher their rank the faster they fix. Maybe they can consume a commodity “Starship spares”. Make it so they are payed with a weekly salary.
  • When the carriers make a hyper jump, the sound should be made different from our ships. I mean the loading drive, enter/exit sound and the sound during the jump. Sound should be something that fits the size of a carrier, something majestic and powerfull.
  • Covas that isn't available on normal ships.. perhaps a different type of voice (deeper/more machine like).
  • Different sized carriers, with the smallest being a one-commander one with NPC assistance.
  • Allow for alternatives to grinding for materials requited to fuel up and run the FC. I.e. allow Squadron members to chip in and purchase the fuel and resources for Credits, as an alternative to grind for materials.
  • How about allowing Squadrons using Fleet Carriers to pool credits together, create missions and employ Elite players to perform missions, on behalf of the Squadron? For instance, instead of a Squadron with a Fleet Carrier sourcing what they need to jump themselves, they could hire Elite players roleplaying as Traders to do the work on behalf of the Squadron.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I doubt that Carriers will become material banks and offer "free" materials to some members....

Cosmetics, I expect, will likely be bought with ARX.

I suspect you will have to 'fuel' all services with commodities and you can synthesize commodities from materials. But no storage or commodity exchange or material transfers. It would be strictly one way. And a way to 'synthesize hydrogen fuel out of your ship's fuel tank.

Anything that actually extends and increases the depth of the game's mechanics, above simply bolt on grind gameplay loops to pay for X (eg: a jump, or a new module, or an upgrade).

Option:-
a) A busy work loop to find X, to drop into the Fleet Carrier, so it can do Y?
b) Undertaking an anti-xeno task to clean out an area, where Squadron members holo-me into fighters launching from the Fleet Carrier to attack and clear out a location from Thargoid scouts etc.

Which sounds like it stands a chance of moving the game forwards?

As you have mentioned, I'm afraid it's way too late for a wish list.

I fear all this thread would accomplish is creating unrealistic expectations so we're disappointed the actual implementation of FCs.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Anything that actually extends and increases the depth of the game's mechanics, above simply bolt on grind gameplay loops to pay for X (eg: a jump, or a new module, or an upgrade).

Option:-
a) A busy work loop to find X, to drop into the Fleet Carrier, so it can do Y?
b) Undertaking an anti-xeno task to clean out an area, where Squadron members holo-me into fighters launching from the Fleet Carrier to attack and clear out a location from Thargoid scouts etc.

Which sounds like it stands a chance of moving the game forwards?

Added :)

Squadron's Minor Faction and the Carrier having some sort of interplay, like:

As you have mentioned, I'm afraid it's way too late for a wish list.

I fear all this thread would accomplish is creating unrealistic expectations so we're disappointed the actual implementation of FCs.
I think the moment Squadrons did not come with a "role" (eg: Powerplay, Faction, Anti-Xeno, Exploration) to allow their mechanics to be broader and more involved (+ you could only join one), it became pretty obvious Squadrons were going to be a simplistic implementation. So given Fleet Carriers are bolting onto Squadrons, without a defined "role" I think they are already limited in what can be offered, leaving probably only very simple mechanics for them to bring to the game... So yes, I think anyone expecting more that busy work shallow gameplay loops will be disappointed.

But fingers cross with all this extra time (a year?) FD have put some meaningful deep gameplay into them.

If two or more carriers are present in system (and in some new mechanic are declared enemies) it triggers a CZ like war between them until one is damaged enough so it retreats like a cap ship. Combat could be hacking, turret destruction, fuel siphoning, data hacking.
Alas, surely that should only be the case for two opposing Faction based Squadrons, or two opposing Powerplay based Squadrons, in appropriate systems/conditions?

Without Squadrons having a dedicated/defined role, I can't see how the game can orchestrate anything meaningful along those lines. It's a sad ommission from Squadrons IMHO meaning:-
1) More involved gameplay/mechanics cannot be offered.
2) The needless limitation of CMDRs only being able to be a member of ONE squadron. If Squadrons had roles, you'd be able to join one Powerplay Squadron, one Faction Squadron, and say 3-4 Anti-Xeno, and say 3-4 Exploration Squadrons... And you'd then be able to flick/change between which you'd wish to be working within...

Last edited:
Alas, surely that should only be the case for two opposing Faction based Squadrons, or two opposing Powerplay based Squadrons, in appropriate systems/conditions?

Without Squadrons having a dedicated/defined role, I can't see how the game can orchestrate anything meaningful along those lines. It's a sad ommission from Squadrons IMHO meaning:-
1) More involved gameplay/mechanics cannot be offered.
2) The needless limitation of CMDRs only being able to be a member of ONE squadron. If Squadrons had roles, you'd be able to join one Powerplay Squadron, one Faction Squadron, and say 3-4 Anti-Xeno, and say 3-4 Exploration Squadrons... And you'd then be able to flick/change between which you'd wish to be working within...

I was thinking of Powerplay aligned squadrons who might sit in a system, or places like Shin Dez that would be popular. But it would require some squadron tinkering.

I think the upgrade path is key. I thought squadrons would be a real boost to giving smaller in game goals (smaller than CG's) but I look at the squad orders for my squad at the moment and think "oh we're at war..... we will win that by a landslide whether I'm involved or not" and I think this diminishes the value of squadron play. I remember a couple of years ago the player group Im in used to assign governors to systems and the system I took over was on the brink of being lost and there were 2 days to turn around a deficit it felt like all hands to the pump to turn it around and like everyone had a part to play.

I suppose what I'm saying is that first of all it should pose an actual challenge to achieve but should also create some "call to arms" moments like being attacked (where you could actually lose).

The second and I think far less likely is for carriers to be scaled so that if you are a solo player (yes I know what they've said but this is a WISHlist!!) I can grind to get a smaller carrier maybe one that carries 1 medium and a couple of small ships and isn't ridiculous to use. Right through to huge squadrons getting mini space stations.

One of the things I think SLFs missed the trick with was not letting the big 3 carry useful standalone ships. This would let you move a mobile base around the galaxy but still be effective (for example I could head off to some nebula in my anaconda, leave it in orbit and jump in an eagle to explore the planet and launch an SRV).
I think fleet carriers would give us an opportunity to do this.

I was thinking of Powerplay aligned squadrons who might sit in a system, or places like Shin Dez that would be popular. But it would require some squadron tinkering.
Indeed or two Squadrons for opposing Powers get a task offered to them to dictate (or help dictate) a Powerplay related outcome in a system? Consider if this was even then the game and the two Squadrons orchestrating a window of time over the week to even have a CQC type fight over a specific location/scenario, with say four CMDRs from each faction holo-meing into fighters at a location and fighting each other in given scenarios... And these results are accrued and applied...

BUT, without the game knowing, (a) a Squadron's interest (role) is Powerplay, and (b) what Power they are affiliated to, how those sort of mechanics be offered?

They sound like amazing suggestions. Given i play solo though, will elites p2p network code support all those things? Fighters move quickly don't they so there could be some fierce glitches in the matrix with a swarm of them? No idea absolutely a question.

Also i've done feature wishing once for elite, back before passenger missions, wow my elite dreams went wild. Im really not going to do this again. imo its only healthy to speculate within the parameters we know for certain are going to be part of the feature.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
  • Have a definite impact in the BGS and/or PP based on their location. Bonus to certain BGS/PP actions etc or similar
  • Carriers can be fought and forced to hyper jump away (or possibly even be destroyed if jump activated too late) in a similar way to how Farragut/Majestic can be forced to jump out

Last edited:
Strict limits on what they are able to do so as not to interfere with non squadron players.

ie some kind of limits to the ship jump range an how long it takes for each jump, they can't be like normal ships as they would unbalance the game.

A means of overcoming the "one ship per CMDR" limitation. A shipyard (presumably with no stock of ships for sale) would be the simplest way to implement this, requiring virtually zero effort. But other methods are possible. If ship transfers to a Carrier over interstallar distances are deemed unbalanced, limit them to within a system.

Onboard Universal Cartographics as an available upgrade.

Onboard Commodities Market as an available upgrade (for selling stuff, it doesn't need to have stock for purchase). Selling prices could be set at 10% below galactic average or whatever.

Presumably it will have "hyperdrive" rather than FSD. I'm assuming long voyages through witchspace at ship-transfer speed (6ly per minute). If so, the ability to leave the Carrier mid-voyage and jump to normal space to "go on ahead" would be nice.

No ludicrous grind required for each jump. Gathering hydrogen fuel is reasonable.

No restriction on the minimum number of players to operate one, we should be able to use NPC's to meet any such requirement. In particular, a smallish one should not require more than one CMDR and three NPC copilots, and/or whatever NPC crew the Carrier is described as having.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

Well it's on FDEV to manage player expectations. But they are not very good at that, as they pretty much over-hype their content every single time. But this forums users should already know that :p

If two or more carriers are present in system (and in some new mechanic are declared enemies) it triggers a CZ like war between them until one is damaged enough so it retreats like a cap ship. Combat could be hacking, turret destruction, fuel siphoning, data hacking.

Great suggestion, adding!

Squadron's Minor Faction and the Carrier having some sort of interplay, like:

Awesome, adding!

Top Bottom