Fleet carriers for exploration

I'm also looking forward to the inevitable "haha I glitched my carrier into the rings / planet" shots as well.
Literally had a voice chat about this with a friend this morning. We'd been talking about boundary breaks in MMOs, and the amusing relics of alpha builds of neighbouring maps you can find that way, and she mentioned the time she was at a station sitting just inside a planet's B-ring, but a few hundred km from the A-ring, and the hilarious effects when you fly from one to the other in normal space instead of supercruise.

Fleet Carriers as they stand seem to be a multi-player, guild-style feature but bizarrely implemented at a single-player level.

I still want a "Personal Carrier" that costs far less, carries less ships but allows me to take all my ships with me as I travel so I can choose what I do at each place I arrive without needing to transfer ships over and wait for hours. Just don't understand why every new "gameplay" feature has to make life harder ....

Yep, you're quite right! I haven't made my way through the whole livestream yet, but I don't think we have an indication of how much tritium we'd need or how easy it is to obatin just yet?

The screenshots showed a maximum capacity of 1000 tons of tritium, that's two 500ly jumps.
So it's one ton of tritium per ly, taking your FC to SagA and back would take thousands of tons.
To me that would turn it into a mining trip, not an exploration trip.

It can be bought at refinery stations aswell, AFAIK...
So, as long as it can't be bought at EA you should bring a mining laser or two, yes ;)

Question I just wondered about... if I was in my FC and then I crash in the middle of nowhere and the FC is the closest landing "thing" to me, will I return to the FC?
It would be pretty broken for many purposes, if your insurance rebuy didn't drop you back on it if it was the last thing you docked at.
Imagine parking it near a CZ for convenience, only to always respawn at a station on the other side of the system...

The screenshots showed a maximum capacity of 1000 tons of tritium, that's two 500ly jumps.
So it's one ton of tritium per ly, taking your FC to SagA and back would take thousands of tons.
To me that would turn it into a mining trip, not an exploration trip.

Well yeah that's in the fuel depot, but remember, Tritium is also in "Commodity" form, and the carriers have 25,000 tons of space for storage, which can be used for storing commodities (such as Tritium wink wink) among other things.

So yeah unless for some reason FDev specifically blacklists the Tritium commodity from being stored in the carrier's commodity storage area, it really can hold more than two jumps, you'd just have to transfer it between the warehouse and the fuel tank.

Well yeah that's in the fuel depot, but remember, Tritium is also in "Commodity" form, and the carriers have 25,000 tons of space for storage, which can be used for storing commodities (such as Tritium wink wink) among other things.

So yeah unless for some reason FDev specifically blacklists the Tritium commodity from being stored in the carrier's commodity storage area, it really can hold more than two jumps, you'd just have to transfer it between the warehouse and the fuel tank.

Well true but that 25k storage capacity counts for everything as I understand correctly.
So ships, modules, limpets, and whatnot has to be subtracted from that 25k.
Still 25k tons of tritium will get you around 25k ly into the black, you won't get back from Colonia with that so you'd still have to go out mining on an exploration trip.

i personally don't see the need for Universal Cartographics service on a Carrier. However the extraordinary jump times is a problem. Explorer ships are self sufficient, so repairing or replacing a SRV is rare. Even if needed, to say the Carrier could be a few thousand LY away seems little comfort.
At the moment, as a friendless explorer, the Carrier doesn't seem to bring any advantages.

I keep coming back to the amount of fuel that's needed for jumping, along with the jump times. I don't think that the time itself is really the issue as much as the fuel is, in terms of dragging a carrier all around the galaxy. Combine that with the added maintenance costs added for each jump, and I think it's quite clear that these are meant to be jumped occasionally, not on an on-going basis as such.

The exception of course would be an expedition, since that already has a slower pace than a solo-explorer, and more people to mine the fuel.

Otherwise, I think the DSSA project from FleetComm has the right idea-- Park them in various regions of the galaxy, let everyone know where they are, and leave them there for a while.

We'll see if anything changes in the beta. I remember the FSS undergoing a lot of changes during its beta period; maybe they'll do the same here? I'm not holding out much hope, though.

The lack of UC will really kill it for explorers. We also don't have confirmation of whether you can jump it while docked on it. If not, then you can't use it to get to remote star clusters either.

As I see it, the only uses for explorers it will have is:

• Repair/Rearm, probably more useful for expeditions than lone explorers
  • Bring your fleet, so you can switch off ships more easily without returning to the bubble.
  • Bring extra modules, so you can change your loadout or sell them to explorers who forgot their AFMU, for instance.

If it had UC, it would have been a game changer. But I suspect FDev doesn't want people to offload their data, buy a sidewinder from it, and suicide back to the bubble with practically no loss.

EDIT: This also raises the question-- Can they be seen on the galaxy map? Will explorers know when there is one nearby (not in the same system)?

I have heard that you can be docked whilst it jumped - pretty sure it was in the livestream but if not, I've only watched ObsidianAnt's vlog on it so likely in there.

I keep coming back to the amount of fuel that's needed for jumping, along with the jump times. I don't think that the time itself is really the issue as much as the fuel is, in terms of dragging a carrier all around the galaxy. Combine that with the added maintenance costs added for each jump, and I think it's quite clear that these are meant to be jumped occasionally, not on an on-going basis as such.
I'd tend to disagree there in general, for the in-bubble stuff they are clearly designed around, they are absolutely something you can see being jumped on a fairly regular basis, short distances, to the systems particular groups of players are hoping to influence. For this, I can see them being fairly effective.

You're right, not denying that. I'm only saying that it's going to be a large burden fueling it across the galaxy, if you're one person.

I can't disagree, unfortunately; I was really looking forward to having a mobile exploration base that I'd leave in place for a while, mine to refuel when I didn't feel like exploring, and aim to explore every single system in a given radius around the carrier location before moving on - but that assumed I wouldn't be forced to return to the bubble because if I didn't sell my data I'd eventually run out of cash to keep the carrier going.

Top Bottom