Fleet carriers! Wouldn't it be awesome!!!

So this is my first post here ever! just discovered the forums! well i knew they existed but ya...

So i have been dreaming up the possibilities with fleet carriers and have no idea what the purpose or added game play they will add. Honestly, I don't think much more than a mobile repair and refuel base but I am hoping for so much more!

One of the coolest ideas I have had was for pirating! I think it would be awesome if you had multi crew you could steal entire ships and bring them to your pirate cave to repair and strip the identifying information off from them to sell them or even just sell the modules, or even fly them!

No I don't think this would break the game as anyone can unlock an anaconda in a few hours of starting the game! I came back after not playing in around a year (hurricane destroyed my house, just finished rebuilding it) to an asp explorer and had 3 anacondas in a few hours of game play.

I dont know let me know what you guys think!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on completing your rebuild.

As to how active the FCs will be in terms of maneuver and mobility, it's all a question mark. Their capabilities have been hinted at. Stealing ships may not be possible, that would mean some sort of mechanism to be present allowing the boarding of another ship and hijack its control, though it would be something.

Enjoy the forum, lots of info and opinions abound here.

Stealing ships may not be possible, that would mean some sort of mechanism to be present allowing the boarding of another ship and hijack its control, though it would be something.

Enjoy the forum, lots of info and opinions abound here.

Hehe, to the OP, I would say anything is possible, ship boarding has been hinted at since forever so only time will tell. Let's see what space legs brings us, fingers crossed.

I'm not sure that will be possible at all.

I bet FD come up with a lore reason why ships can't be stolen, like keyed to the DNA of the owner or something.

I'm not sure that will be possible at all.

I bet FD come up with a lore reason why ships can't be stolen, like keyed to the DNA of the owner or something.

Doubt it bud, David Braben once said this, will it still apply today? who knows, but I hope so.

"Of course walking round your ship will be nice, but it is the just springboard for a very significant expansion of gameplay – you will be able to experience the inside of starports and interact with other players and AI characters, and even board other people’s ships in space and take them by force, as shown in this concept piece. Of course this will be further expanded to include walking around on the surfaces of planets too."

Last edited:
What's to stop FD implementing "ship stealing" right now? Why would you need a fleet carrier to do it?

I think the biggest barrier to implementing "ship stealing", by any mechanism, would be it's use as a de-facto asset transfer mechanism, with all the baggage which that usually carries (link to real-world economy, Chinese gold farmers, pay to win, etc etc).

What's to stop FD implementing "ship stealing" right now? Why would you need a fleet carrier to do it?

I think the biggest barrier to implementing "ship stealing", by any mechanism, would be it's use as a de-facto asset transfer mechanism, with all the baggage which that usually carries (link to real-world economy, Chinese gold farmers, pay to win, etc etc).
A constant wanted level in secure systems with 'attack on sight' orders from security forces.
Might be fun for some to buy an exploration anaconda with real world cash, but enjoy being shot down when you want to sell that info, traverse the bubbles etc.

Doubt it bud, David Braben once said this, will it still apply today? who knows, but I hope so.

"Of course walking round your ship will be nice, but it is the just springboard for a very significant expansion of gameplay – you will be able to experience the inside of starports and interact with other players and AI characters, and even board other people’s ships in space and take them by force, as shown in this concept piece. Of course this will be further expanded to include walking around on the surfaces of planets too."

Yeah, i remember that. But i'm still doubtful they will do this.

I’m hoping with the advent of Space Legs you’ll be able to sneak on board a ship, plant some explosives, go back to your ship, follow them out of the station and then remote detonate.

Hahaha, that's next level espionage right there. This is the type of emergent gameplay we need and the consequence that comes from it (Bounty hunters etc). Of course doing so would prob be a lot harder than that, there's always going to be a counter measure.

honestly though is a de-facto asset transfer mechanism really a bad thing? is it really an issue? I mean i gave some friends a few hundred mill in credits worth of void opals. you can already give assets to players quite easily. getting the ships in the game is easy you can get any ship in the game with 1-2 hours of grinding excluding the ones locked away behind rank.

if a person is able to buy a fleet carrier realistically they have more than enough credits to buy every ship in the game 10 times over.

realistically I think it would be awesome and a way for a seasoned player to get new players in the game. imagine going out with your friends and you fresh to the game friend riding in the crew seat of your anaconda as you prowl for a ship to capture to be that pilots first real ship. Idk it just sounds awesome to me and might be an actual no cheesy way to make some credits with pirating.

I think maybe a slow moving limpet like a hatch breaker to gas the ship and kill everything inside for a player to take over the ship. i see it being a challenging event of crippling the ship, and then pulling it to your carrier or using repair limpets to get it back to flying standards so you can limp it in.

that is just me it sounds like so much fun and honestly i dont know why we havent been able to do this

Let's not forget the recent galnet fluff article where a ship was stolen from a station. So maybe it will just be the npcs that can steal your stuff. I see a whole new mission type on the horizon - the ship recovery!

You won't be able to steal FC as you cant even land on them with out the owners setting you landing permission... and the FC only move by galaxy map usage
The FAQ allready stated galaxy map will be required to move FC and the FC have defence weapons so you can't land and can be shot at if your not allowed to land by the owner...
This means...
1 you have no way to land in one piece when a pirate..
2 You will be killed by there defence weapons if you force a landing on a pad.
3 FC only move by you selecting them as a movable assest on Galaxy map and putting the fuel assest in, then selecting the target system as the FC owner on galaxy map. They do not move with out the owner programming the jump..
4 With your ship destroyed by the FC weapons you have No galaxy map access as you have No Ship computer to link with... Personal wrist computer was dumped for the support of duradrives computer systems that are only available in ships which can link to other systems...

Top Bottom