Elite / Frontier flight - realistic level in E4

the flight realism should be ..

• flying should be tough and realistic

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • well ... arcade stile is about alright

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
how much SIM do you like to have in E4 ?

meanings are so different ...
whilst some guys do like to see a space-ship-crew-management like "the SIMS", some
others would like to have a complex economy as seen in X ... next one wants to see his
kind of game .. what ever it is ...

- I think all of us wants to have the orbital landings since its a very fundamental part in FE2 -

What do you think about the realism part in E4 ?

my opinion:
Elite was never Arcade to me, it was a good spark of realism behind. I'd like to see some parts as difficult to accomplish.
Landing on a station and especially on a Planet should have something from a flight SIM. It should be tricky and ambitious.
This would also make explorations more difficult since you need more skills. It also explains the prise-discrepancy from a station
to the Base on the Planets surface.

I've just played the Demo of FlightSiM "X" from M$ and got some feeling of how it could look like in E4 ;-)
*dreaming

<<<1stBiker

Things like landing should be... challenging enough that you have to take some care, but not so hard you'd fail to do it routinely (that would get annoying).

On a flight sim, the trick is to keep your speed low as to be safe, but not so low as to stall, and you need to be lined up and be sure you touch down on the numbers so you have enough runway left to brake.

Unfortunately in space you won't stall or fall out of the 'sky', you can potentially approach sideways, backwards or vertically, just for giggles, and since you can stop on a dime, you don't have to worry about brakes.

So just how you make it fun, challenging but not too difficult to do - I do not know!!

My thoughts on this are that the game should be geared heavily towards simulation/realism because it's how Elite has always seemed like to me anyways. However I don't agree that it should be entirely too difficult(always). By this I mean that in the future that is Elite, space-travel has become pretty much routine, and after a long period of time, I'm sure they've had the chance to really iron out the bugs of such things and make space travel not only safer, but easier for most to manage/achieve. Down to the point where the systems and spaceflight avionics are manageble by a single person, or by no-one at all being cappable of full auto-flight-navigation and more.

However to add a bit of interest to the mix, I would like to see it possible for some of these systems to fail, be damaged, or just plain wear out from lack of maintenance. Which means that suddenly something like landing on a planet becomes an interesting ordeal when your ventral thrusters have to be adjusted manually due to the fly-by-wire systems for that portion of the ship were damaged by micro-meteorite impacts.

Or even for the adventurous just the ability to switch of some of the automated systems and take a more hands on approach to piloting ones ship, just for the fun of it, or at least bragging rights.

I'd like to see the automated system thats more like air-traffick control system. Where they basically take control and direct you in. But then when you want to land on a planet by yourself, or go to a low populated system, you have to do it by yourself...something like that.

DeLeiros said:
I'd like to see the automated system thats more like air-traffick control system. Where they basically take control and direct you in. But then when you want to land on a planet by yourself, or go to a low populated system, you have to do it by yourself...something like that.

The way I fly, I'll stick with autopilot thanks very much :)

Old Fashioned Controls

Hi.

I'd like to see more Elite 1 controls, but im old fashioned, and grew up playing Elite 1. Couldn't it be possible, if not too difficult, to have in the options of the game the ability to switch your preferred method of control from arcade to realistic and vice versa.

Cheers

Moriarity

:D

I'm sure that it wouldn't be too much of a problem, if they could have relealistic controls there should be no problems scaling them back and auto compensating to provide a more arcade-like representation.

Top Bottom